Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Biotar 75mm f1.5 lens Versions (arrived w/haze)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Biotar 75mm f1.5 lens Versions (arrived w/haze) Reply with quote

I believe it's the post-war version serial# 6243xxx. Any optical difference between the pre-war and post-war versions? Which is better? Thanks!

Last edited by cellotone on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:51 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B75 early postwar slim is claimed to be the sharpest wide open and possibly most vivid.

B7,5 prewar is a price rocket and TOP collectible, if OK condition and not messed up with dumb homemade "architects". A bit less sharp, a bit less contrasty, a bit more soft.

B75 postwar fat is most common by far, especially in Exa mount, with less aperture blades.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder I was the only bidder, it looks a quite later version, according to the serial number. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still cheap. You probably did a good deal, as well as good investition. A hi-end quality MF lens.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy any of them what you can afford, you will won't disappoint with any of them. I did try several under years all were excellent , none of them had any quality issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
It's still cheap. You probably did a good deal, as well as good investition. A hi-end quality MF lens.

Yes, it's a good price on the market, thank you!

@ Attila, thanks! I'll post picture when it has arrived. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello guys how about this one , exakta mount !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth at least $1.000 if tip top, but probably more. These Red T slims are sought-after beasts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are images:

Last edited by cellotone on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what origin the mess is from your photos. For sure haze probably mixed with various kinds of dust, least probably fungus as these are not too fungus-friendly.

My serviceman would probably do a near-MINT from it again, so seek for sb. similar. I let open at least 5-6 B75 lenses, none of them was really problematic, as its optics is quite resistant and mechanical built just excellent. I believe opening of this lens is such an overrated problem due to general item price range.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Not sure what origin the mess is from your photos. For sure haze probably mixed with various kinds of dust, least probably fungus as these are not too fungus-friendly.

My serviceman would probably do a near-MINT from it again, so seek for sb. similar. I let open at least 5-6 B75 lenses, none of them was really problematic, as its optics is quite resistant and mechanical built just excellent. I believe opening of this lens is such an overrated problem due to general item price range.

Thanks Marek!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing a good lens infected by fungus is really heartbreaking. Crying or Very sad If the infection is recent, the lens can be cleaned, but if the fungus is old and has engraved the coating, then the marks are permanent.

The flashlight test can be misleading and convey a worse idea than reality. When it comes to lenses, there is a thing called "beauty defect", which is any visible imperfection that does not affect the performance of the lens. Maybe the fungus affects the IQ, maybe not. The proof of the pudding is to take a photo against a strong light and compare the result with another lens of similar focal length, and see if there is difference in contrast.

Maybe you really want to keep the CZJ Biotar, no matter its imperfections. I dare say that another possibility would be to return the lens and buy another Zeiss, but a new, modern, faster and with more optical and mechanical quality Zeiss lens. I'm talking, of course, of the Zeiss Planar 85mm F1.4 ZF.2. I know the Zeiss ZF.2 is a little more expensive, but it would make you never miss the CZJ Biotar. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly that lens is defective... you must post it on to me, I will dispose of it properly. Wink Nice find. If it were mine I would likely pay for a pro CLA just to be sure, I have though, opened a few lenses and had good luck with some and messed others up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the good suggestions. I sent pictures to a shop to hear their opinion. If not keep it , a C/Y Zeiss 85/1.4 sometimes can be found around $600. But the bokeh style won't be the same. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have to correct my yesterdays statement when looking at photos properly. Apart from visible scratches the coating layers may be either already damaged or will be damaged when removing that inner mess of unknown origin. (More resistant layers does not neccessarily mean undestroyable.)

Still not sure whether or not aunt Fungus is inhabitating your precious lens or not Whoo Turtle
Be that as it may, do better photos to determine. These are too reflective and not very well focused.

If you bought it on Ebay as "used" instead of "defective", it might be an interesting conflict but beware you should always return the item in unchanged condition.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: now I see why this happened. You apparently edited the photos in the meanwhile. Hence my yesterays optimistic post based on different, not enlighted photos.

Anyway, the guys are right, the optics probably suffers the combination of all things we clearly dislike: fungus, haze, and fucked up layers as a bonus, altogether probably affecting the lens performance. This lens is like teeth that havent seen dentist for 50 years and should probably be returned. For these money I sold MINT Trioplan 100 lens and for not that much more serviced clean B75 with only very minor cleaning marks...

I bet either focal or aperture ring will be pretty stiff too?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$874.95 is too much for a lens if it is fungus infected. I will return the lens with no hesitation. If you look carefully on the sixth photo on the listing, you will see there are some marks on the rear element which look like haze to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside are dirt, light scratches. haze... (not sure has fungus or not). Looks like someone opened it, I am more worried that because if it was opened but couldn't get rid of the haze (?) which means it will permanently stay. The light bit over exposed the vestige of the haze, but it's there, and the elements are kind vague. Yah, I am thinking of returning it. Thanks to all!

PS: Marek, yes, I added (edited) one picture on. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was worse.
It's not hard to open and clean, I did mine myself.
But since they are worth so much these days it's more prudent to send it to a pro.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody recommend a vintage lens repair shop in Southern California area?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
$874.95 is too much for a lens if it is fungus infected. I will return the lens with no hesitation. If you look carefully on the sixth photo on the listing, you will see there are some marks on the rear element which look like haze to me.

+10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More clear pictures. Also found oily blades, and aperture ring doesn't click.

Last edited by cellotone on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavily infected with fungus with scratch on internal elements. Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Heavily infected with fungus with scratch on internal elements. Exclamation

I have sent request for return already. Thanks calvin83! Thank you!