Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele with same bokeh as Chinon 55mm f1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Tele with same bokeh as Chinon 55mm f1.7 Reply with quote

Hi,
I absolutely love the Chinon 55mm f1.7. I was wondering whether there is a telephoto lens (90-180mm) with a similar bokeh.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele with same bokeh as Chinon 55mm f1.7 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,
I absolutely love the Chinon 55mm f1.7. I was wondering whether there is a telephoto lens (90-180mm) with a similar bokeh.

Thanks.

Might well be advantageous to post an example of the bokeh you find so attractive. It's quite possible that someone who is unfamiliar with the Chinon lens may recognise the characteristics you require and be able to make a recommendation. I certainly do not have any Chinon lenses, however I do have a selection of short to medium-range telephotos of various manufacture Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that this is of some use.
I had the Auto-Revuenon 1.7/55 which I think is the same lens as the Chinon.
Here is a shot with it first followed by a couple that I have found which resemble mine in bokeh.

Auto-Revuenon 1.7/55

Super-Takumar 4/150

Jupiter 9

Nikon E 2.8/100

Komuranon 3.5/135 pre-set

There are certainly others
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele with same bokeh as Chinon 55mm f1.7 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

Hi, been a while, but I suggest you look at the older Chinon tele photo lenses as you already use M42 or the "brethren" cameras and lenses like the Weist 35SL, also made by Chinon.
This is the Super-Weistar-DM 135mm f/2.8 which has, as I see it similar characteristics; wouldn't you agree?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele with same bokeh as Chinon 55mm f1.7 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

Like 1 @MrKodak

@Wolan, how about 2x telwconverter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele with same bokeh as Chinon 55mm f1.7 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

My immediate thought is the Auto Chinon 135mm f2.8 - a very common and inexpensive lens that to my eye has the Chinon bokeh you like.

I've got a couple 55 1.7s, a 35 2.8, and a 135 2.8, and they all have that Chinon look to a certain degree.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look at the Tair 11a. 135mm 2.8 A lens known for it's buttery smooth Bokeh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
You could look at the Tair 11a. 135mm 2.8 A lens known for it's buttery smooth Bokeh

Sure, but the Chinon in question has more of a bubbly, almost swirly bokeh; not everyone likes it but I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrKodak wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Sure, but the Chinon in question has more of a bubbly, almost swirly bokeh; not everyone likes it but I love it.

Longer lenses tend to have less field curvature so less swirl. Best shot are wide aperture lenses (f2 and wider) But those are ging to be more expensive because sought after. You could always reverse an element though :p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I hope that this is of some use.
I had the Auto-Revuenon 1.7/55 which I think is the same lens as the Chinon.
Here is a shot with it first followed by a couple that I have found which resemble mine in bokeh.

Oldhand they are fabulous photos , such fine detail .

Really like the Jupiter 9 Lens Photo and the Takumar

Thank you for sharing
Like 1 small