Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Full Frame this Spring!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Pentax Full Frame this Spring! Reply with quote

This has been a long awaited event for all Pentax users. The camera looks promising. All K mount lenses will be compatible. I am just waiting to get a look at the price tag.

http://www.pentax.com/en/pentaxff/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it tempt me away from Sony? I love my K10 - although I rarely use it - but I also love the compact mirrorless cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adorama released these pics.

[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have done this 10 years ago, The A7 series from Sony are Blazing a new path to FF land, I don't see many buyers except for Pentax fans, and those that have Pentax lenses.
Their K mount mirrorless was a joke, the design was not attractive, and the K mount was too restrictive in that for the most part, only K mount lenses would mount on it, so in my eyes it was a failure, this new FF DSLR has a tough battle ahead of it to gain support and try and attract CaNikon DSLR users.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
They should have done this 10 years ago, The A7 series from Sony are Blazing a new path to FF land, I don't see many buyers except for Pentax fans, and those that have Pentax lenses.
Their K mount mirrorless was a joke, the design was not attractive, and the K mount was too restrictive in that for the most part, only K mount lenses would mount on it, so in my eyes it was a failure, this new FF DSLR has a tough battle ahead of it to gain support and try and attract CaNikon DSLR users.

I don't understand why Pentax discontinued the K-01, unless they're planning to introduce a newer model with a higher megapixel count sensor. And I disagree -- I find the K-01 to be rather pleasing to look at. It's handsomer than my NEX 7 and even looks nicer, I think, than the Sony A7-series. The EVF on the Sonys looks like a rather abrupt afterthought. But if the Pentax mirrorless do not have a sufficiently shallow registration distance, such that other lenses can mount to it easily, then I agree -- this sounds like a design flaw. It would have been enough for me not to buy one, given my rather large collections of mf lenses in Canon FD and Nikon mounts.

I'm sure that hard-core Pentax users will be looking forward to the release of this new camera. In fact, I find it intriguing with all its top-mount knobs. Reminiscent of the Nikon F4. And the pentaprism housing that vaguely resembles that found on the 67 is an interesting touch. But I really don't see Pentax as having much chance at all of wooing Canon or Nikon users away from their FF offerings. I mean, what's the compelling reason, considering the hefty investments they have to make in their lenses as well? Unless this new Pentax will be offered at some killer price point, I just don't see any movement away from the Canikon camps. Maybe this is the reason why Ricoh is being so coy about it and its details?

Really, if Ricoh is interested in future sales of any significance, this camera that they're showing off under glass should be a FF mirrorless -- with a better registration distance -- so it can go head-to-head against Sony. Otherwise, it will probably end up being a slow sell and a potentially costly write-off.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be too late for Ricoh making this FF camera but better than ever. I don't expect it will be cheap at the beginning but the price should fall after a short period. For those who are happy with EVF and owns different lenses in different mounts, the A7 series should be a better choice over this camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have been told that since years the Pentax FF has been announced for the coming year, so let's wait until it is REALLY there... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never too late. I find most comments here ridiculous. Pentax/Richo will hold it's own as they have been doing, and of course Pentax fans will be the ones jumping on this camera. I have nothing against Sony but just because they have the FF on the market now, and ahead of Pentax means very little. This is a wide open filed , as it has always been. Pentax has had a FF Medium Format on the market for years, they have had issues getting this new FF 35mm off the ground, but it is now here. The camera looks extremely promising.

If your not a Pentax fan, I understand your negativity. The truth is, Pentax has been issuing great cameras at GREAT prices for years, and they will continue to do so. There K3 is priced well below most other cameras in it's group and preforms extremely well. I expect no different from the new FF. But I could be wrong, I'm still waiting to see the price tag.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Pentax fan but this is ten years too late.

Mum-togrpahers aren't going to buy it because they are all ready buying APS,

Pro-tographers aren't going to buy it but it because there is no NPS style warranty support for Ricoh/Pentax.

Any why would they? So they can use there manual M, K mount lenses they collect of ebay in their commercial work? I can't see this attracting anyone other then those on Pentax forums. :S

Of course what will happen is it will come and folks will complain that it's bigger then APS,

Pentax needed this ten years ago so they could built that "hero" base in order to sell to all those Mum-togrophers. It's those sorts of things that are surely driving the brand awareness around Canon/NIkon now?

Ironically when I buy prescription glasses I check the "Pentax coating please"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the looks of it it will offer the typical superior ( ok, maybe subjective ) handling of a Pentax, in a more compact and lighter body than comparable dSLR Canikons, and that paired with inbody stabilization and no AA filter but AA filter simulation through sensor movement. All good reasons to prefer it, well, if one values these things. The FF Sony mirrorless cameras of course are even smaller, if paired with native AF lenses I am not so sure any more, Pentax has amazingly small, and I may add well performing, prime lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that there is move towards FF. The Sony A7 series has changed mindsets .
Pentax will start with two traditional FF zooms . That is to say bulky. Hopefully they will be smart enough to launch then some compact primes. It is actually what they currently do with their APS-C lens range.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax already has a decent amount of very small, light, AF and fast FF lenses, along with the new ones like the 70-200 and the 150-450. The (D) FA 31/35, 43, 50, 77 and 100 are all FF, and the new camera will offer a choise of FF or cropped setting.
RemcoR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
I ordered adapter M42-Pentax
Sony A7 series have one, but significant disadvantage - A7 series from Sony do not have optical viewfinder.
You are dependent from someone else, to confirm the frame is in focus.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RemcoR wrote:
Pentax already has a decent amount of very small, light, AF and fast FF lenses, along with the new ones like the 70-200 and the 150-450. The (D) FA 31/35, 43, 50, 77 and 100 are all FF, and the new camera will offer a choise of FF or cropped setting.
RemcoR

besides the 50mm and 100mm Macro FF lenses I believe that all others Pentax FF lenses, also the one you listed, actually come from the film era and also do not carry the 'D' designation of lenses made for digital. These also include wider lenses, the FA 2.8/20, 2/24, 2.8/28 and not to forget the famed 1.4/85. I suppose Pentax would update some of them

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, guys. Once this FF model is released, we will soon know how dedicated Ricoh is to its success. I would expect at least a pair of zooms to be announced (wide to short tele and short tele to long tele) with its release, and very soon thereafter, some popular prime focal lengths. If those primes are long coming to market after its release -- or perhaps they don't show up at all -- that will speak volumes regarding Ricoh's commitment.

I'm a big believer in competition. So, I hope Ricoh goes all out, pushing the envelope whereever possible. It'll be good for everybody for them to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I already have the a7ii my next digital will likely be pentax. ... medium format. I already have a good selection of 67 lenses that are easy to adapt. The used price on the 645d is getting into my price range.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax just released or announced three full frame lenses for this camera, so they do have some already in place.
24-70/2.8 (maybe the kit lens?)
70-200/2.8
150-450/4.5-5.6
I think they are all already available, well for sure two of them anyway.
Though not cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Pentax just released or announced three full frame lenses for this camera, so they do have some already in place.
24-70/2.8 (maybe the kit lens?)
70-200/2.8
150-450/4.5-5.6
I think they are all already available, well for sure two of them anyway.
Though not cheap.

It seems that they are Tamron rebranded lenses. Regarding the Pentax camera itself, I think it will be a good but expensive DSLR camera. The optical viewfinder, as used in modern DSLR cameras, is appropriate for AF lenses but not ideal for use with MF lenses as it doesn't allow manual high-accuracy focusing. In my opinion, an EVF would be a better solution.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fuji XT-1 EVF makes a great case for being superior for manual focus. I was amazed. I was considering getting one of those Fujis just for that reason. I suppose we will see more of that in the future.
I wasn't so happy with the Sony A7 EVF.
DSLR finders aren't ideal mainly because they have the wrong focus screens for MF.
I have been experimenting for years. Currently I am using a plain groundglass on my Pentax, and I find it the best ever for MF.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been longing for a Pentax full frame DSLR for years. I had a Pentax MX and a Pentax ME-Super in the 1980s and was among the first to buy not one but two Pentax *ist-D when Pentax released its first DSLR in the early 2000s. Then I also bought a K10D, a K20D and a K-x.

After discovering that I could mount my Pentax lenses on a Canon camera with the help of a cheap adapter, I thought I could finally satisfy my full-frame lust and use my beloved Pentax lenses at the same time. So I also bought a Canon 1 Ds (a nightmare of a camera, heavy as an anvil with so-so image quality and bad ergonomy), then a Canon 5D (a better camera but still too bulky for me).

And then, Sony realeased the A7 line of full-frame mirrorless cameras. I immediately bought one and never loooked back. My tiny Sony mirrorless takes wonderful pictures with almost any lens ever created on earth. The body with a bunch of five high quality primes from 12mm to 180mm fits in a small waist pouch and weights less than a full-frame DSLR with a kit zoom. And with a native lens, the Sony manages to autofocus very quickly and accurately in almost any lighting condition. My DSLRs all had various problems of back or front-focus that became more evident with modern high resolution sensors and requested hours of careful adjusting.

And suddenly, the big announcement: ta-daaaa, the Pentax full-frame DSLR arrives in 2016! Huh, sorry Pentax, too little effort, too late... What do you expect ? Even harcore Canon and Nikon users are now switching en masse to embrace the new mirrorless marvels from Sony.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as I like my Pentax dSLRs, *istDs and a K-x, for their great handling, small and compact size, and from what it looks like the Pentax Ff will have the same virtues, I am with you Abbazz. The A7 specially with rangefinder lenses is quite a bit more compact, I use manual lenses and won't get the Pentax FF. But then again if one was using native AF prime lenses with a body that has built in IS, which would be the bigger A7II, than I am not so sure if the Sony still would be smaller and lighter, most probably, but not not by much. For someone who likes using OVF and a compact set the Pentax should appeal.

Certainly I would be more happy with a Ricoh or Pentax mirrorless with short register and a FF sensor, could be similar to the GXR, that is smaller, lighter than the A7, but bigger and much better handling than the likes of a NEX5n.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
I have been longing for a Pentax full frame DSLR for years. I had a Pentax MX and a Pentax ME-Super in the 1980s and was among the first to buy not one but two Pentax *ist-D when Pentax released its first DSLR in the early 2000s. Then I also bought a K10D, a K20D and a K-x.

After discovering that I could mount my Pentax lenses on a Canon camera with the help of a cheap adapter, I thought I could finally satisfy my full-frame lust and use my beloved Pentax lenses at the same time. So I also bought a Canon 1 Ds (a nightmare of a camera, heavy as an anvil with so-so image quality and bad ergonomy), then a Canon 5D (a better camera but still too bulky for me).

And then, Sony realeased the A7 line of full-frame mirrorless cameras. I immediately bought one and never loooked back. My tiny Sony mirrorless takes wonderful pictures with almost any lens ever created on earth. The body with a bunch of five high quality primes from 12mm to 180mm fits in a small waist pouch and weights less than a full-frame DSLR with a kit zoom. And with a native lens, the Sony manages to autofocus very quickly and accurately in almost any lighting condition. My DSLRs all had various problems of back or front-focus that became more evident with modern high resolution sensors and requested hours of careful adjusting.

And suddenly, the big announcement: ta-daaaa, the Pentax full-frame DSLR arrives in 2016! Huh, sorry Pentax, too little effort, too late... What do you expect ? Even harcore Canon and Nikon users are now switching en masse to embrace the new mirrorless marvels from Sony.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Wow, now that I couldn't have said better! Really brings it to the point Sebastien, Point Blank.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
as much as I like my Pentax dSLRs, *istDs and a K-x, for their great handling, small and compact size, and from what it looks like the Pentax Ff will have the same virtues, I am with you Abbazz.

Thank you! Wink

kuuan wrote:
The A7 specially with rangefinder lenses is quite a bit more compact, I use manual lenses and won't get the Pentax FF. But then again if one was using native AF prime lenses with a body that has built in IS, which would be the bigger A7II, than I am not so sure if the Sony still would be smaller and lighter, most probably, but not not by much. For someone who likes using OVF and a compact set the Pentax should appeal.

Even with the bigger A7II, the balance is still very much in favor of the Sony. Here's a comparison between a Canon 5D MkIII and a Sony A7 II, both equipped with their respective 24-70 AF zooms:

I have one of the biggest native Sony lenses: the massive 24-240 zoom, that I use when traveling with my family and friends or when switching lenses is just not an option (this lens is far from being bad by the way, but enough off-topic). The lens is 118,5mm long and weights 780g, which makes it a big lens. But, when mounted on my Sony A7, the total weight is 1196g, vs. 1530g for an EOS 5D MkIII with a 24-105 lens (and the Canon lens stops at 105mm, while the Sony lens goes right to 240mm).

kuuan wrote:
Certainly I would be more happy with a Ricoh or Pentax mirrorless with short register and a FF sensor, could be similar to the GXR, that is smaller, lighter than the A7, but bigger and much better handling than the likes of a NEX5n.

I think one of the great opportunities missed by Pentax was the release of their own mirrorless, the K-01. It was a good camera but Pentax chose to keep the K-Mount unchanged, including the 45.46mm registration distance, although there was no point of having such a long flange in a mirrorless camera. The result was a mirrorless that was as bulky as a DSLR and couldn't be used with adapted lenses (except for M42)!

If only Pentax had chosen to go with the same mount but with a 18.46mm registration distance, it would have allowed to build much smaller cameras that coulld be used with lenses from all make and model (and would retain full compatibility with K-mount DSLR lenses with the use of a simple 27mm extension tube). I am ready to bet that this camera would have been much more successful than the K-01 and would almost certainly have been the starting point for a whole family of mirrorless cameras, including models equipped with full-frame sensor...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Wow, now that I couldn't have said better! Really brings it to the point Sebastien, Point Blank.

Thank you, Klaus.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
kuuan wrote:
as much as I like my Pentax dSLRs, *istDs and a K-x, for their great handling, small and compact size, and from what it looks like the Pentax Ff will have the same virtues, I am with you Abbazz.

Thank you! Wink

kuuan wrote:
The A7 specially with rangefinder lenses is quite a bit more compact, I use manual lenses and won't get the Pentax FF. But then again if one was using native AF prime lenses with a body that has built in IS, which would be the bigger A7II, than I am not so sure if the Sony still would be smaller and lighter, most probably, but not not by much. For someone who likes using OVF and a compact set the Pentax should appeal.

Even with the bigger A7II, the balance is still very much in favor of the Sony. Here's a comparison between a Canon 5D MkIII and a Sony A7 II, both equipped with their respective 24-70 AF zooms:..

Abbazz

right Abbazz size difference between the A7 and the Canon 5D III is huge, of course! But do you really think the new Pentax FF will have a comparable size to the Canon 5D III? I definitely don't and expect it to be considerably smaller!
- ( As you know some Pentax prime lenses, like e.g. the FA ltd. 43 are very small, could qualify as a 'pancake'. I am quite certain that the Pentax FF + the ltd 43 or even with the FA50, which is an f1.4 lens, will be close in size to the A7II + it's native FE 50mm that is an f1.8 lens, at least much closer than to the 5D III with it's native 50mm, don't you think so? The Pentax FF with the 43mm might well not be bigger than the A7II + FE 50mm at all. )
Well, it's all mere speculation and we will have to wait and see.

personally I like EVFs, but I wonder, have by now all those who had been saying that they never will get used to one and only consider an OVF disappeared? If they still exist, and if some of them like a compact system, than the Pentax FF should have it's targets.