Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44M-7 on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Helios 44M-7 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

Bought this in new condition, unused for 20ukp. It's not the sharpest 50 I own but very respectable and has a nice character.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens looks good, but several photos lack snap. It is not lens' fault, it is just a matter of appropriate post-processing. If you do not object, I can post some post-processed photos to show what I'm saying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free. These are unprocessed to show the lens rendering au naturel.

The reason for the lack of snap is the lighting conditions. I'm at 56.4N and at this time of year it's more often than not very dull and gray. It's much sunnier today so I'll try to make some more samples to show what a difference the light can make.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the black level of the original photos suffered an upward shift. Perhaps the camera was set to low contrast, I don't know. The black level shift is evident in the histograms of the original images.

Original picture with its histogram:

Original Picture:

After processing:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simply atmospherics, a thin mist and low light combine to make a low contrast image. It was very cold too, about 4C so there could have been some condensation on the lens, you often have to keep wiping them when it's so cold and humid. The black level shift is due to overexposure, which the camera will often do when the light levels are low and there is mist/fog in the air.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that condensation on the lens makes sense. Regarding the mist, I do not think it explains the loss of contrast because mist causes a gradual reduction of contrast that decreases with distance. Note that the two women are just a few meters from the camera, but the loss of contrast is already pretty apparent, what would only occur with a very heavy mist. If the cause of loss of contrast were heavy mist, the houses more than 100 meters away were disappearing into the mist, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Ian,atmospherics and comments do not detract from shots,some people attend a feast of knowledge and manage to devour a few crumbs. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempt to "unlock" the potential... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I like that kryss, it's got a metallic feel to it.

Sun appeared for a bit yesterday, so I ran out and made some more samples. Bit of sunlight and a clear atmosphere makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take cheap Russian lens that differs between copies and place it in the hands of a seasoned master and you too can produce great shots.. Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stitched ones:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bargain price A850 does you proud Ian.. Welcome Turtle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers man. Second best thing I've ever bought after my NEX-3 which is still serving me very well after nearly 5 years and a LOT of shots with a very great number and variety of lenses. I do love the a850 though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my a600 + many,many lenses,I also have some expensive Pentax lenses and want to handle the new FF Pentax before I decide it or a7r for which I have a number of Sony Alpha lenses & Sony LEA4 adapter. I really do have to divest myself of much stuff,76 and not getting younger. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you've got plots of picture taking and making still to come! I know how you feel though, I have too many cameras and lenses so that ones I love can sit unused for years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It's simply atmospherics, a thin mist and low light combine to make a low contrast image. ... The black level shift is due to overexposure, which the camera will often do when the light levels are low and there is mist/fog in the air.

The reason why so many are discouraged by results in Wintertime...so folks go so far as to post online "what is wrong with my camera? Laughing

Quote:
...Bit of sunlight and a clear atmosphere makes a big difference.

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures with a very nice lens! Watching the picture #2 of the first post, I think it should be an Helios uncommon version of with black diaphragm leafs, because they are seen very little even though the sun is in the picture. Can you tell us about Ian? Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

The blades are stamped steel and quite shiny, I'll take a picture of them tomorrow if you want to see how they look.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Very nice sample photos, Ian! Especially the 2nd and 3rd sets. With some better light, the lens' properties are revealed. I too have experienced atmospheric conditions that places a blanket of dullness to the exposures. Monsoon season in high desert.

A timely post, was considering a newer 44M-6 or -7, or an older 44M w/ 8 blades. Informative thread.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I really like this 44M-7, but apart from the coatings, it's not better than my Helios 44-2.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, do not need to take the picture of the diaphragm. My Helios-44M-x all but one have bright diaphragms and clearly show their reflections in the picture when the sun is inside the frame.