Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji Instax Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Fuji Instax Mini Reply with quote

I just ordered a Fuji Instax Mini 8 camera for my daughter's birthday. She'll be five and wanted "a camera out of which ready made photos come out" (her description). I guess she must have seen something like this in a cartoon or something. Has anyone here used instax cameras? Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a Instax 210 which is a monster camera. However, it produces what it is supposed to do. Wink
For certain circumstances a quite usable camera.
I have also produced some scans from the pictures but unfortunately I don't find them now....
However, they didn't look that bad at all. I was positively surprised.
At least it's a nice toy for your daughter. The only problem are the running costs, i.e. the cost per picture is relatively high when you look at the cost of small printed pictures from any digital camera in comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the mini is a smaller version of the regular instax. Apparently very popular in Asia. Yes, the cost is close to ridiculous, especially considering it's really just a toy more than anything else. But my daughter has a very entrepeneuring spirit. I think she'll be selling the photos 1 euro a piece to cover the costs. Laughing

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I have the Mini 90 (actually my girlfriend has it) and it's really funny, later on I've also bought the Instax Printer and I use both in weddings http://www.itstimetodream.it/2015/09/wedding-instax-gift/

Last edited by Rick1779 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also open an Instagram account for her and let her become famous like the son of the NG photographer Aaron Huey https://instagram.com/hawkeyehuey/?hl=en

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got (and really like) the Instax Wide 210:

https://retrocameracs.wordpress.com/?s=Instax

And I have also shot with my old Polaroid 630 and an Impossible Black&White film:

https://retrocameracs.wordpress.com/2015/07/23/der-mit-abstand-teuerste-film/

https://retrocameracs.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/erinnern-sie-sich/

Yes, it's in German, but you can try Google translate. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the 210 and a mini
they are fun, but rather big and awkwardly shaped to carry around, even the mini (imo)
Still, the instax film delivers very good results, much better than the impossible film

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! Yeah, the size of these things is what worries me a bit. We'll see how it goes. And yes, she'll soon be a famous photographer with an extensive portfolio of photographs of tiny feet. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a mini for a while, just out of curiosity. You'll be surprised about the film/photo quality! I really was, especially since i had used a Polaroid Image system with Impossible film before.... and that was a great disappointment (for me).

These pics were taken with a nex, photo flat on the table, the real ones look better, but you get the idea! (i hope)

Fuji Instax Mini 1 by René Maly, on Flickr

Fuji Instax Mini 3 by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a sample picture from my Instax 210. The original picture is apprx. 60 x 95 mm.
Scanned with Epson Perfection V600 Photo and PP in LR. Downsized for presentation (original size 9.000 px wide).

That's not really bad as this is already apprx. 5 times bigger on screen than on paper picture. The original scan is already more than soft as obviously far too big.
It's obviously better to scan with lower resolution. However, the picture is only downsized and exposure corrected but neither sharpened nor noise filtered.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile I think quality will be good enough, but it's not #1 priority anyway. I wish they made a normal camera with manual controls and quality lens for the instax films. I'm sure there would be a market for that and not much more expensive to make. All the cameras on the market so far seem to be more or less toys. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Thanks. Smile I think quality will be good enough, but it's not #1 priority anyway. I wish they made a normal camera with manual controls and quality lens for the instax films. I'm sure there would be a market for that and not much more expensive to make. All the cameras on the market so far seem to be more or less toys. Sad

Well, something like that already exists...

http://shop.lomography.com/it/cameras/lomo-instant-montenegro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about that, but I'm talking about actual quality gear that would use the instax film, not cameras from a company whos image is built on "vintage" low quality photography.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Thanks. Smile I wish they made a normal camera with manual controls and quality lens for the instax films. I'm sure there would be a market for that and not much more expensive to make. All the cameras on the market so far seem to be more or less toys. Sad

Yes, i thought that too after i had used the plastic Fuji camera. The lenses used aren't of high quality and they show circular rings of flare / reflections when under a certain angle to the light source. You can see them in the lighthouse shot i posted before.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some universal body for Instax film, like the NEX system, so you can choose your own lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick report. This thing is a total hit! The photos are indeed very small and kind of lo-fi, but the fun factor more than outweighs any negatives. It was a complete success at the birthday party. Mostly it was my daughter snapping this and that and group portraits of everybody and so on. And every time this little piece of blank white paper would come out, she'd put it on the table and everybody would gather round to wait and watch the image slowly appear. So precious! Smile

NEX6_0002_7733 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

Last edited by miran on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Congrats

Seriously, I didn't expect something else.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

And the cam even looks good. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh 1 Like 1 Congrats Happy Cat Happy Dog Like Dog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, it was Edmund Land's daughter that wanted a camera in 1948 that she did not have to wait for pictures. He went on to create the instant Polaroid cameras. Instant film is still fun and I think you will get as much enjoyment as she does. I currently shoot the Fuji packfilm but I know someday they will stop making it and I will have to switch to Instax. Lomography is making a pretty nice interchangeable lens camera and they also make Instax backs. My plan is to graft an Instax back onto one of my Polaroid roll film cameras. The Instax is still quite popular and it should be available for a long time.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the longevity on these instant pictures? I have never used or seen a Polaroid camera in the flesh : )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
What is the longevity on these instant pictures? I have never used or seen a Polaroid camera in the flesh : )

I don't know about the Instax but I have several FP100 pictures that look as good as they did several years ago. Once they are scanned, it really does not matter. When they do age, they get better...

[img]Polaroid Found 1 by Pete Lach, on Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all,it helps its a great subject Smile. I forgot about the scanning of film, good to know it works well with these instant photos as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that in an old camera case. It is probably close to 50 years old. I would guess that modern films would be an improvement.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt they would, but there's a certain "look" to those old polaroids.