Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xenon in mist
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Xenon in mist Reply with quote

After testing this Schneider Xenon 50/1.9 under different weather conditions, I like it most when the day is wet.

Last edited by grainy on Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. I really like the monkey.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos!

The lens has plenty of resolution. But the imaging seemed softened purposely.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. This is the 'stock' softness of the lens when it's wide open, and yes I purposefully tested it wide open.

I don't have many old lenses but this is the only one that exhibits the 'soft yet detailed' character. Most of my other lenses the out of focus regions and the corners are more like blurred by rubbing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see, didn't realize it was wide open. The lens does have a consistent level of sharpness across the frame in some of the photos.

Thanks for the explanation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't specify and you have picky eyes too. Smile

Are you aware of some other lenses sharing such character?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware Schneider had an f1.4 Xenon. Which mount is this? I really like the images, soft or not. Good work!

In looking around for info on the f1.4, I found a posting that indicates Schneider intend to release a 35/1.6, 50/1.4 (both 82mm filter) and an 85/1.4 (a 95mm filter) in both Canon and Nikon mounts, and expect them to be expensive. Aimed at rivalling the Otus line from Zeiss.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi l9magen, you've just pointed out a great mistake and the first post has been corrected accordingly. Laugh 1

I hope I can try the new 1.4 some day! Mine is a DKL mounted on Nikon using an adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grainy,

There is still decent sharpness wide open in #2, #3, #5. I like the compositions and they have a nice ambiance due to it.
No, not aware of any lenses with such a flat-field characteristic.
I am a fan of the Schneider-Kreuznach Edixa-Laudar 50mm f2.8. One of my favorites. But it renders like a Tessar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xenon is a very sharp lens indeed stopped down. Even the best 50s are not very good shot wide open at distance, not the way to get the best out of them.