Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

sony a7s + nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: sony a7s + nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI Reply with quote

love this lens. just wish it's 25% lighter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots! I agree, it's a wonderful portrait lens, and very effective wide open. But it is a heavy little lump, isn't it? You don't get something for nothing, I reckon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really proper lens for portraits. Somebody would say that is too sharp for such work but I think it is fair applicable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pre-AI 105/2.5. Not sure offhand which optical formula it is. But one thing I do like about it is when I shoot wide open with it, it isn't razor sharp. That hint of softness actually adds to the portrait image, I feel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have a pre-AI 105/2.5. Not sure offhand which optical formula it is. But one thing I do like about it is when I shoot wide open with it, it isn't razor sharp. That hint of softness actually adds to the portrait image, I feel.

It is a slight modification of the S mount 10.5cm which is a Sonnar.
http://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0045/index.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look online. My 105/2.5 is one of the late pre-AI models. It has a black barrel above the focusing collar, chrome below it. From what I've been able to learn so far, the earlier model has five elements in three groups, whereas mine has five elements in four groups. I don't know from sonnar or what and it really doesn't matter to me anyway. I just really like the images it produces. For a while, I thought about replacing it with an AIs, but then I realized -- why go to all the trouble and expense when I might not like the images any better than I'm already getting?

Here's a small image of mine I snagged from the Mir site:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Yours is a the second version in Xenotar-type. The AIs version has better coating but the design is the same.
http://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0005/index.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've always liked the Xenotar -- at least as is found on the old 2.8 Rolleiflexes. Good to know.