Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

100mm v. 135mm Field of View
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: 100mm v. 135mm Field of View Reply with quote

I acquired a Nikon 100mm f2.8 Series E lens about a month ago and fell in love with it. It's a really sharp lens and is a fantastic portrait lens. Something in the back of my mind kept telling me that I also needed a 135mm lens. At the same time, I kept thinking that I didn't really need a 135mm because there couldn't be that much difference in the field of view. I lucked into a Vivitar (Tokina) 135mm f2.8 for a price that I couldn't pass up. What was I to do? Today, I made two shots; one right after the other. The first is with the Vivitar 135mm and the second with the Nikon 100mm. Boy, was I wrong about the difference in FOV. I can't believe how big a difference there is! If you notice, framing on the right side is pretty much in the same place on both shots. I didn't use a tripod, so it isn't exactly the same, but very close. Notice how much more you see on the left side of the frame in the second shot. And it's not just FOV. The 135mm lens compresses the image quite a bit in relation to the 100mm.

On another note, I'm amazed in the the similarities of the color rendering between these two lenses. To my eye, they are very close in color. Additionally, both lenses proved to be very sharp, so I think I'll keep them both!

Vivitar (Tokina) 135mm f2.8 @ f8 (Sony A7II)
Vivitar 135mm by James Poupard, on Flickr

Nikon 100mm f2.8 Series E @ f8 (Sony A7II)
Nikon 100mm by James Poupard, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Those two lenses do match up quite well! I have the 100mm Series-E and love it. And 135mm is a personal favorite of mine. Hard to make a bad 135, and there are a number of excellent ones available. Is the Vivitar-Tokina a T4 or TX model?
I have a Rikenon-Tokina version. It's a Sonnar derivative 4 elements in 3 groups. Suspect yours to be the same.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you need an 85mm lens to make up the trio of"really useful" primes Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Like 1

Those two lenses do match up quite well! I have the 100mm Series-E and love it. And 135mm is a personal favorite of mine. Hard to make a bad 135, and there are a number of excellent ones available. Is the Vivitar-Tokina a T4 or TX model?
I have a Rikenon-Tokina version. It's a Sonnar derivative 4 elements in 3 groups. Suspect yours to be the same.

It's a T4 that came with the Canon FD T4 adapter. Until recently, I had never used any universal mount lenses, but I picked up a Tamron 17mm with the Adaptall-2 mount at a great price. It worked so well, I figured I may as well try the T4. It's like a whole new world has been opened up to me!

This isn't my lens, but it's exactly like it:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_T-4_135mm_f/2.8_Telephoto

Last edited by LifesShort on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Now you need an 85mm lens to make up the trio of"really useful" primes Wink

It's next on my list. Just don't tell my wife! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is FOV difference more or less on crop camera than on full frame camera?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Is FOV difference more or less on crop camera than on full frame camera?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I'll try to answer what I think you are asking.

Assuming a crop factor of 1.5 and comparable focal lengths to the 100mm and 135mm, you would be using 67mm and 90mm lenses. The fields of view of the 100mm full frame and 67mm 1.5 crop would be the same. The fields of view of the 135mm full frame and 90mm 1.5 crop would be the same.

As long as the ratios between focal length and sensor size are kept the same, the field of view would be the same.

This can be confirmed using the "Angular Field of View Calculator" found here: (you'll have to scroll down the page to find it)
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOV ratio for 100mm and 135mm is 4:3 - that's pretty sizable difference in my opinion.