Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 24-48mm f3.5/8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:
The following three photos were taken using a Canon EOS5DMKII and Vivitar S1 3.8/24-48mm with hood attached. All JPEG straight from camera with no PP. Not a very inspiring view but to my eyes I cannot detect any vignetting.

Certainly no obvious vignetting, Edgar, in particular at 24mm (where it would show up first, I would think). What was the aperture used, though -- were these wide open, or...?

Thanks for providing the pix. Smile

All taken at f8.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

fwcetus wrote:

DigiChromeEd wrote:
The following three photos were taken using a Canon EOS5DMKII and Vivitar S1 3.8/24-48mm with hood attached. All JPEG straight from camera with no PP. Not a very inspiring view but to my eyes I cannot detect any vignetting.

Certainly no obvious vignetting, Edgar, in particular at 24mm (where it would show up first, I would think). What was the aperture used, though -- were these wide open, or...?

All taken at f8.

Well, wide open ( f/3.8 ) is needed for a better test... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

fwcetus wrote:

DigiChromeEd wrote:

All taken at f8.

Well, wide open ( f/3.8 ) is needed for a better test... Smile

Of course it is, I wasn't thinking! Embarassed I'll shoot the images again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway I can change post title to....Vivitar VSI 24-48mm.I don,t own this lens so am not interested in it's merits, as mentioned in my original post I was comparing it to my Canon 28-50mm in that post. I was obviously hoping for comments on the Tamron but as often happens post is changed to something totally different. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Anyway I can change post title to....Vivitar VSI 24-48mm.I don,t own this lens so am not interested in it's merits, as mentioned in my original post I was comparing it to my Canon 28-50mm in that post. I was obviously hoping for comments on the Tamron but as often happens post is changed to something totally different. Twisted Evil

Well, the Tamron and Vivitar 24-48 are brothers from a different mother, so one will always make an appearance when the other is discussed Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another useless comment by someone who should remain same as their Avatar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:

invisible wrote:
Well, the Tamron and Vivitar 24-48 are brothers from a different mother, so one will always make an appearance when the other is discussed Wink

kryss wrote:
Another useless comment by someone who should remain same as their Avatar.

Ah, very "clever"... [not]

The first person (me) to respond to your original post, after complimenting you on your pix (and offering a typo correction on your lens, which was likely not an "f3.5/8" lens, right?), mused "I wonder how the lens would compare to the VS1 24-48/3.8..." To that you "politely" answered with . . .

kryss wrote:
How would I know or care?

Well, ~all~ you said in your original post was "Last week I posted samples of my Canon 28-50mm lens,they were Ok but I personally prefer my Tamron and will end up selling the Canon." [period]. So, perhaps you should have also stated something such as "Please do not deviate from what I have allowed to be mentioned here", or "Any other suggestions or opinions, including those involving a similar-specification lens, are strictly not welcome", or some other way of letting people know what the rules are that ~you~ have laid down in ~your~ forum.

Welcome Turtle

Last edited by fwcetus on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the SP 24-48. Bought it last year and haven't had much of an opportunity to use it yet. Unfortunately, mine didn't come with the hood. I just looked on eBay for it. Found one in the UK for -- wait for it -- 69GBP! Ooookay, I don't think I paid much more than that for the lens.

So no thanks, but thanks for the tip on the Canon hood, Marcus. Lots of 'em on eBay, starting at $0.71.

I also own the Vivitar S1 24-48. I haven't used it much because its aperture iris blades are stuck and I haven't bothered to dismantle it to clean them. Need to do that. I've done it once before and it wasn't difficult. Prior to the blades sticking I'd only shot with it on a film camera, using some grainy ISO 400 film, so it was difficult to evaluate its sharpness. But I'm encouraged from reading the comments here.

I like the Vivitar because of its constant aperture, but I love the Tamron because of its compact size. It's really not much different in size from my Canon FD or Nikon AI 24mm f/2.8 lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I also own the Vivitar S1 24-48. I haven't used it much because its aperture iris blades are stuck and I haven't bothered to dismantle it to clean them. Need to do that. I've done it once before and it wasn't difficult. Prior to the blades sticking I'd only shot with it on a film camera, using some grainy ISO 400 film, so it was difficult to evaluate its sharpness. But I'm encouraged from reading the comments here.

I like the Vivitar because of its constant aperture, but I love the Tamron because of its compact size.

I guess that "oily" iris blades can be a "normal problem" with some of the old Kiron-built lenses, but I have no complaints about my copy (so far).

As for the Tamron, I was interested in the comparisons to the VS1 (Kiron) 24-48 because, while I do tend to prefer constant aperture zooms, it's sometimes worth considering an often smaller variable aperture zoom IF the IQ is better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but what's kinda nice about the Tamron 24-48 is it's practically a constant aperture zoom with a variable aperture of 3.5-3.8. That's not even a third of a stop difference between the low and high numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Yeah, but what's kinda nice about the Tamron 24-48 is it's practically a constant aperture zoom with a variable aperture of 3.5-3.8. That's not even a third of a stop difference between the low and high numbers.

Good point, Michael.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been an interesting thread. Sorry to bring it back tolife after a year. And possibly deviating from the original post. I came here loooking to find merits of the Tamron 24-48 but hopefully in comparison to the Olympus 28-48mm. Does anyone here iwn these lenses and able to provide some info? I think the Olympus is even harder to locate in good condition that the Tamron.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider Tamron to be the top aftermarket lens maker -- especially back during its Adaptall-2 days. So I wouldn't hesitate recommending any of the SP Tamrons, which the 24-48 is, of course. I have some very grainy photos I shot with my Pentax MX attached to my SP 24-48 that I can show you, but they're so grainy, they're not really fair to the lens. See a few below.

I did an eBay search just now, and got interesting results. Right now, on US eBay, there are more Oly 28--48 lenses than there are Tamrons. As for price, they seem to be going for roughly the same amounts -- very close at least.