Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 24-48mm f3.5/8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Tamron 24-48mm f3.5/8 Reply with quote

Last week I posted samples of my Canon 28-50mm lens,they were Ok but I personally prefer my Tamron and will end up selling the Canon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron 24-48mm f3.5/8 Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Last week I posted samples of my Canon 28-50mm lens,they were Ok but I personally prefer my Tamron and will end up selling the Canon.

1. Nice pix -- yes, that Tamron does look like a keeper. Smile

2. "Tamron 24-48mm f3.5/8" should probably be "Tamron 24-48mm f3.5/3.8" ?

3. I wonder how the lens would compare to the VS1 24-48/3.8 . . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...#2 yes I know.. #3 How would I know or care?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both the Tamron and Vivitar but sold the Tamron simply because I liked using the Vivitar more. Image quality wise, to my eyes, they were much the same although the Vivitar is much larger and heavier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
#3 How would I know or care?

Well, you probably wouldn't know if you weren't familiar with both lenses.

As for caring, well, I don't know whether or why or "how" you might care or not. I was merely suggesting that it would make (to me at least) an interesting comparison.

[I have the VS1 24-48/3.8 (Pentax K-mount), but not the Tamron in question, but someone might have some knowledge of both.]

So, are you suggesting that "3. I wonder how the lens would compare to the VS1 24-48/3.8 . . ." is not an appropriate topic for your thread?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed...made by Kiron,I tend to stay away from Vivitar Kiron I prefer Komine/Tokina.Looks nice lens but as you say much heavier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron 24-48mm f3.5/8 Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
3. I wonder how the lens would compare to the VS1 24-48/3.8 . . .

I own both. A couple quick notes:
- Optical quality seems pretty even between the two.
- The Tamron is much smaller and lighter, so if you have a small camera body this might be the better option. If you have a full-sized DSLR (or really big hands), the Viv might be a better option for you.
- The Tamron is slightly faster at the wider focal lengths at f/3.5, but the Viv's aperture is constant at f/3.8.
- I find the images created with the Vivitar more contrasty straight out of the camera than the Tamron's, though just a tad.
- Neither is easy to find, especially in good condition.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, DigiChromeEd and invisible, for providing comparative info.

I have the VS1 24-48/3.8 and am happy with it, but I was curious about the similar Tamron (which I am not surprised is also a good lens). Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two of the Tamron 24-48's. It's a good lens that bettered the 24mm f2.5 prime (01BB) in the corners but it didn't compare so favourably to the olympus om 24 f2.8, 28 f2.8 or 50 f1.8 I also had. It also has poor resistance to flare though the blobs appear as vivid blue which is unusual. I also found that both of mine had quite a warm colour cast vs other lenses. The unique lens cap and hood can make things difficult if you loose or don't have either, particularly the hood as, like the 17 prime, it has the filter thread. (77mm)

It works nicely with the 35-80 and 70-210 to make a very nice trio. I'm yet to try it on my D810 so I only have experience with it on my old 20D. Need to dig it out of the cupboard now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24-48 is a nice lens IMO,I have had a couple over the last few years and I think it's a keeper.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kei wrote:
The unique lens cap and hood can make things difficult if you loose or don't have either, particularly the hood as, like the 17 prime, it has the filter thread. (77mm)

Thanks for that tip, Kei.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kei wrote:
I've got two of the Tamron 24-48's. It's a good lens that bettered the 24mm f2.5 prime (01BB) in the corners but it didn't compare so favourably to the olympus om 24 f2.8, 28 f2.8 or 50 f1.8 I also had. It also has poor resistance to flare though the blobs appear as vivid blue which is unusual. I also found that both of mine had quite a warm colour cast vs other lenses. The unique lens cap and hood can make things difficult if you loose or don't have either, particularly the hood as, like the 17 prime, it has the filter thread. (77mm)

It works nicely with the 35-80 and 70-210 to make a very nice trio. I'm yet to try it on my D810 so I only have experience with it on my old 20D. Need to dig it out of the cupboard now.

Just taking a moment to agree with you vigorously regarding that special hood, which the OP obviously is fortunate enough to own. Finding the lens is difficult enough. But, unless one is lucky enough to locate a sales situation where the hood is included, finding that hood for sale standing alone is even tougher.

Also, FWIW, I view that hood as being essential to enjoyment of this lens. I'll go a step further and opine that the hood is a component part of this particular lens, and any such lens sold without that special Tamron hood is incomplete. All JMHO, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if,by a miracle,you find just the hood expect to pay at least the same as lens or more. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if there was also a dedicated hood for the Vivitar 24-48? I've never seen one...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
Does anybody know if there was also a dedicated hood for the Vivitar 24-48? I've never seen one...

Yes, there was, it's reference number is 31-9706. They turn up on eBay quite often.

Last edited by DigiChromeEd on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:

Same here -- I've never seen one. There are a small number of dedicated accessory hoods for maybe a few VS1 lenses -- the 70-210/3.5 (Kiron, V.1) and the 35-85/2.8 Varifocal come quickly to mind. And some lenses came with hoods (the 450/4.5 mirror had one -- and the 600/8 and 800/11 "solid cats" came with their incredibly short hoods). But I'm not aware of any for the 24-48/3.8...

EDIT: The above was posted before seeing Edgar's post -- I look forward to seeing a pic... Smile

Last edited by fwcetus on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Hood for tamron 24-48mm 13A Reply with quote

A canon type EW63 will fit this lens. 3rd party ones are dirt cheap off ebay. Might cause vignetting on full frame though - no problem on APSC.

My 13A has impressive IQ stopped down, particularly notable for strong contrast, specifically at the wide angle end. But was well short of prime IQ at f3.5

Last edited by marcusBMG on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:03 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find marcus, very useful.

I've got two copies, both with caps but only one with a hood. (bought the second one to get the hood)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
Thanks, DigiChromeEd and invisible, for providing comparative info.

I have the VS1 24-48/3.8 and am happy with it, but I was curious about the similar Tamron (which I am not surprised is also a good lens). Smile

I love this Vivitar, except for its size and weight - but you don't get anything for nothing. It's worth the effort of carrying it around. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in theory, all 2x zooms are optically very good, at least quite better than "the usual suspects", means 3,x factor zooms, or 5x zooms.
I do have the tamron sp 24-48 as well, it was very hard for myself to get a copy with the included, very rare lens hood.
IQ is fine for sure, but i do prefer using my ML 28-50 Yashica Zoom, because i don't need 24mm all the time, and the Yashi handles
much better for my taste, and renders nicely.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

invisible wrote:

Yes, there was, it's reference number is 31-9706. They turn up on eBay quite often.

AFAIK, that's the hood for the VS1 35-85/2.8 Varifocal. Presumably from your pic, it also physically fits on the VS1 24-48/3.8. However, does it vignette at 24mm (since, AFAIK, it's the hood for a lens no wider than 35mm)?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

invisible wrote:

AFAIK, that's the hood for the VS1 35-85/2.8 Varifocal. Presumably from your pic, it also physically fits on the VS1 24-48/3.8. However, does it vignette at 24mm (since, AFAIK, it's the hood for a lens no wider than 35mm)?

Good question Fred, I don't know as I've only ever used the lens on my NEX. I'll take a few shots with my Canon 5DMKII tomorrow and post the results.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
fwcetus wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

invisible wrote:

Good question Fred, I don't know as I've only ever used the lens on my NEX. I'll take a few shots with my Canon 5DMKII tomorrow and post the results.

1. It might be possible that the hood might work without vignetting on APS-C, even if it were a problem on FF.

2. It might also be possible that the hood is not designed to be too "tight" -- i.e., it may be somewhat "generous" to stray light at 35mm, such that it might not be too "restrictive" at 24mm.

As usual for me (LOL), "dunno"... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following three photos were taken using a Canon EOS5DMKII and Vivitar S1 3.8/24-48mm with hood attached. All JPEG straight from camera with no PP. Not a very inspiring view but to my eyes I cannot detect any vignetting.

24mm

28mm

35mm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
The following three photos were taken using a Canon EOS5DMKII and Vivitar S1 3.8/24-48mm with hood attached. All JPEG straight from camera with no PP. Not a very inspiring view but to my eyes I cannot detect any vignetting.

Certainly no obvious vignetting, Edgar, in particular at 24mm (where it would show up first, I would think). What was the aperture used, though -- were these wide open, or...?

Thanks for providing the pix. Smile