Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 10.5cm f2.5 "Sonnar"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Nikkor 10.5cm f2.5 "Sonnar" Reply with quote

My Leica fitting example dates from around 1955 and is built like the proverbial battleship. It couples perfectly to my Leica's rangefinder and, thanks to Mr Leica's sloppy sizing of the viewfinder frames, works nicely with a 90mm screw to bayonet adapter.

It's a five element "Sonnar" pattern, coated, and with a pretty much circular iris form. Nikon changed the rear element later to extend the back focus to let it be mounted for the Nikon F SLR - I have one of those as well and can't really see any difference in how it performs. One of my favourites. and not bad for a lens designed around 1950 by a company still at the kindergarten stages of camera lens manufacture and relying on a chronically limited supply and selection of optical glass - no lanthanum or other "rare-earth" glass in Japan in the early 50s.

These shots were taken late last summer. Click on pics for bigger image.

This one taken at either f2.5 or f2.8 -

This one maybe at f4

This one maybe f4 -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me Stephen! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good design, well made.
You show it well
OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fine performer! I like #1 and #3 a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shots to prove the quality of that lens!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 The three photos are technically perfect, but I like most the delicacy of the first one.

Nikon was founded in 1917 and was a major supplier of optical equipment for military use during World War II. After the end of war, Nikon was already a company with lots of experience and daring enough to challenge the German optical industry. Probably many of Japan's top optical designers worked for Nikon during the 1950s.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the grand father of the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI-S?

There are two silverblack versions, which one is yours?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a mythical lens. Color, contrast, detail... a very fine lens from wide open.There were two different designs, Sonnar type from the middle of the last century, and Gauss-Xenotar since early 70's. I have used both, but only kept the last version manufactured by Nikon (AI-s with SIC coated and built-in hood) because I saw significant differences in the results between the first and last version, especially wide open and adverse lighting conditions.

Since 50's until 70's

Since 70's

Happy shots!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Like Dog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Is this the grand father of the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI-S? There are two silverblack versions, which one is yours?

Hi vanylapep - I suppose my Leica rangefinder model is indeed the"grandfather" of the 105/2.5 Ai-S, for which anktonio has given us a schematic. The first model 105/2.5 for the Nikon F had a slight modification to increase back focus in order to clear the mirror. The later Ai and AiS versions were substantially redesigned - you can read all about both versions at http://www.nikkor.com/story/0005/ and http://www.nikkor.com/story/0045/ which is where anktonio got his diagrams from. The information there should be dependable.

I have both the original rangefinder lens and the slightly modified SLR one - in fact, I have two of the latter. All three have different coatings but I really can see no difference in day-to-day picture making.

I don't think I've ever owned the later substantially modified version (I might have had one back in the 1980s but I'm not sure. . .) but I really like the character of the original one. I suppose I ought to see if I can find a later one now and give it a try. Experience has taught me that "significant differences" in technical performance don't always automatically translate into "better" photographs, which is why we all end up with so many different lenses Wink

It's a shame Zeiss never made anything as useful back then . . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples, I like the first one the best for the same reasons Gerald mentioned.
I also love the rendering of the Sonnar bokeh, especially in the last one, with the almost luminous green.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all those who've said nice things about the images from my 60-year old Nikkor - it has a certain charm about it that's difficult to resist.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small