Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vintage lens in cold weather
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Vintage lens in cold weather Reply with quote

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a risk to use my old lenses (Zeiss Jena & Contax 35-135) in cold
weather (around -10°Celcius). Especially the 35-135 was very expensive and I don't want to
mess it up.

E.g. would it be a problem to use the 35-135 for a timelapse outside during a cold night in
the mountains?

Of course when you get back in you gotta be careful with moister..

Thanks for the advises and experiences Smile

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bring a ziplock bag with you for the cold to warm transition.
If the focusing is very stiff, don't force it, otherwise, go crazy, and shoot till your battery dies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage lens in cold weather Reply with quote

Nightjar wrote:
... a timelapse outside during a cold night in the mountains

Like 1

Nightjar wrote:
Of course when you get back in you gotta be careful with moister..

Outside watch breath freeze on lens...or not. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't put your tongue on the tripod!
Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd add that you should put the lens into a zip-loc bag if you're going straight from a warm house and into -10C or colder. Don't take the lens out until its cold to the touch (through the plastic bag). Make sure to squeeze as much of the air out of the bag as possible.

Otherwise not a problem. I've used my Contax Zeiss 28mm at -40. I'd suggest a thin [air of gloves if you're handling metal at very cold temperatures. I've had frost-nip the few times Ive forgetten mine. Even liners would do the trick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
Quote:

I'd add that you should put the lens into a zip-loc bag if you're going straight from a warm house and into -10C or colder. Don't take the lens out until its cold to the touch (through the plastic bag). Make sure to squeeze as much of the air out of the bag as possible.

because if you don't, what happens? Just curious because I've not heard this before (or forgot why already:))

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air contains moisture, and can condense on the lens elements, using the bag minimizes this effect.
The transition from warm to cold can cause some condensation, it's mostly from the air trapped in the lens, by far the transition from cold to warm will cause the most condensation, the bag limits the amount of air and therefore the amount of moisture that can condense on the lens.

As an experiment, find yourself a glass jar that has an air tight lid, stick it in the freezer and see how much moisture freezes to the inside and outside.
Now let's try it with the jar open in the freezer, and seal it quickly(use gloves so you don't warm the jar), then remove the jar to the atmosphere and watch the condensation form.
Now, repeat with a ziplock bag.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Air contains moisture, and can condense on the lens elements, using the bag minimizes this effect.
The transition from warm to cold can cause some condensation, it's mostly from the air trapped in the lens, by far the transition from cold to warm will cause the most condensation, the bag limits the amount of air and therefore the amount of moisture that can condense on the lens.

As an experiment, find yourself a glass jar that has an air tight lid, stick it in the freezer and see how much moisture freezes to the inside and outside.
Now let's try it with the jar open in the freezer, and seal it quickly(use gloves so you don't warm the jar), then remove the jar to the atmosphere and watch the condensation form.
Now, repeat with a ziplock bag.

Is that too much humidity inside lens for preventing fungus?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a possibility, and you could get contaminates left behind when the condensation evaporates.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have good lube that not freeze in such a long time below zero...
I have use 135mm and 300mm in -35 °C temp around a hour or two. Nothing special. Just don't get them out of bag in warm place until 30-40min(60min to be sure).