Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Takumar 35mm f2 - Early version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Super-Takumar 35mm f2 - Early version Reply with quote

Last night I was gifted this lens and I decided to give it a quick squirt around the garden this morning.
It is a little glowy wide open sometimes, but very sharp.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures!
You have the better season now.
Is this the lens with the large filter size?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Nice pictures!
You have the better season now.
Is this the lens with the large filter size?

Thank you - yes the first version with the 67mm filter.
A heavy lens.
Here it is:
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens. And in the right hands, deservedly so. I like how #7 turned out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big beautiful lens! Great pictures! Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good !

I wish i could see your lens list !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Mir wrote:

I wish i could see your lens list !

Haha me too.
I definitely have too many, but I don't have quite a few from earlier in my time here - they have gone to other homes.
Very hard to say no when lenses are offered for free. Smile
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens too and I found it work best at low light. It is prone to flare(a good hood will be nice). Old single-coated/un-coated UV tend to make the lens more suspect to flare and decrease the sharpness of the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that same lens from an Old Gent with a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic I + 150mm f4 Super-Takumar and the 55mm f1.8 Super-Takumar = extension tubes all for 25 Quid ! I have used that 35mm f2 Super-Takumar on my K10D Digital Pentax and it is sharp at full aperture -- MUCH better than the 49mm filter size LATER version which I bought NEW just after it was announced and Ron Spillman had done a good write-up of it -- that lens was a real 'Dog' -- it was £69-00 from David S.H.Leung Camera dealer who brought kit in from Hong-Kong for me -- I sold it for £30-00 luckily.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a nice lens!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a nice lens!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
I got that same lens from an Old Gent with a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic I + 150mm f4 Super-Takumar and the 55mm f1.8 Super-Takumar = extension tubes all for 25 Quid ! I have used that 35mm f2 Super-Takumar on my K10D Digital Pentax and it is sharp at full aperture -- MUCH better than the 49mm filter size LATER version which I bought NEW just after it was announced and Ron Spillman had done a good write-up of it -- that lens was a real 'Dog' -- it was £69-00 from David S.H.Leung Camera dealer who brought kit in from Hong-Kong for me -- I sold it for £30-00 luckily.[pics]

I think memory has inflated any differences. Comparing crop-camera performance to what is remembered from FF film. Or, most likely, accurate: "that lens was a real Dog" -- i.e. there was something wrong with it...

Although I have not had this lens I can compare my photos with the later smaller version; I can say the later version is very very sharp wide open, especially on crop camera; sharper than the online photos from earlier version I saw...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience and the samples/tests on the web, the 49mm version is sharper in the center but the early 67mm version have more even sharpness across the frame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help judge sharpness -
Here are some approx 100% crops from a couple of the shots above. One is at or near full aperture and the other is at f8.

OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some further examples from this lens.
Hand-held so not razor sharp and I may have missed focus a little.
However the results please me.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of make or quality of lens you always coax the best out them Tom... Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Whoo Turtle

Takumar colors!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas.
I used it on Fuji X-E2 and it is not a good match with that camera.
It is too long and heavy with the adapter to be used easily - works best on a film camera where the balance is better.
I do like its glow character wide open as it softens the image, and the bokeh can be interesting
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I have this lens too and I found it work best at low light. It is prone to flare(a good hood will be nice). Old single-coated/un-coated UV tend to make the lens more suspect to flare and decrease the sharpness of the lens.

Like 1

In fact, a user of the Asahi Pentax "ghostless" UV filter felt that it actually increased ghosting! The internet does not have those results any more. At least I could not find it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite lens i have very nice images with this gem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small