Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Takumar 35mm f2 - Early version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Super-Takumar 35mm f2 - Early version Reply with quote

Last night I was gifted this lens and I decided to give it a quick squirt around the garden this morning.
It is a little glowy wide open sometimes, but very sharp.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures!
You have the better season now.
Is this the lens with the large filter size?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Nice pictures!
You have the better season now.
Is this the lens with the large filter size?

Thank you - yes the first version with the 67mm filter.
A heavy lens.
Here it is:
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens. And in the right hands, deservedly so. I like how #7 turned out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big beautiful lens! Great pictures! Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good !

I wish i could see your lens list !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Mir wrote:

I wish i could see your lens list !

Haha me too.
I definitely have too many, but I don't have quite a few from earlier in my time here - they have gone to other homes.
Very hard to say no when lenses are offered for free. Smile
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens too and I found it work best at low light. It is prone to flare(a good hood will be nice). Old single-coated/un-coated UV tend to make the lens more suspect to flare and decrease the sharpness of the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that same lens from an Old Gent with a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic I + 150mm f4 Super-Takumar and the 55mm f1.8 Super-Takumar = extension tubes all for 25 Quid ! I have used that 35mm f2 Super-Takumar on my K10D Digital Pentax and it is sharp at full aperture -- MUCH better than the 49mm filter size LATER version which I bought NEW just after it was announced and Ron Spillman had done a good write-up of it -- that lens was a real 'Dog' -- it was £69-00 from David S.H.Leung Camera dealer who brought kit in from Hong-Kong for me -- I sold it for £30-00 luckily.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a nice lens!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a nice lens!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
I got that same lens from an Old Gent with a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic I + 150mm f4 Super-Takumar and the 55mm f1.8 Super-Takumar = extension tubes all for 25 Quid ! I have used that 35mm f2 Super-Takumar on my K10D Digital Pentax and it is sharp at full aperture -- MUCH better than the 49mm filter size LATER version which I bought NEW just after it was announced and Ron Spillman had done a good write-up of it -- that lens was a real 'Dog' -- it was £69-00 from David S.H.Leung Camera dealer who brought kit in from Hong-Kong for me -- I sold it for £30-00 luckily.[pics]

I think memory has inflated any differences. Comparing crop-camera performance to what is remembered from FF film. Or, most likely, accurate: "that lens was a real Dog" -- i.e. there was something wrong with it...

Although I have not had this lens I can compare my photos with the later smaller version; I can say the later version is very very sharp wide open, especially on crop camera; sharper than the online photos from earlier version I saw...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience and the samples/tests on the web, the 49mm version is sharper in the center but the early 67mm version have more even sharpness across the frame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help judge sharpness -
Here are some approx 100% crops from a couple of the shots above. One is at or near full aperture and the other is at f8.

OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some further examples from this lens.
Hand-held so not razor sharp and I may have missed focus a little.
However the results please me.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of make or quality of lens you always coax the best out them Tom... Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Whoo Turtle

Takumar colors!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas.
I used it on Fuji X-E2 and it is not a good match with that camera.
It is too long and heavy with the adapter to be used easily - works best on a film camera where the balance is better.
I do like its glow character wide open as it softens the image, and the bokeh can be interesting
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I have this lens too and I found it work best at low light. It is prone to flare(a good hood will be nice). Old single-coated/un-coated UV tend to make the lens more suspect to flare and decrease the sharpness of the lens.

Like 1

In fact, a user of the Asahi Pentax "ghostless" UV filter felt that it actually increased ghosting! The internet does not have those results any more. At least I could not find it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite lens i have very nice images with this gem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small