Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Helios 81N 50/f2 + Nikon D3300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: MC Helios 81N 50/f2 + Nikon D3300 Reply with quote

Hey guys Smile

I'm new to mf lenses and I've been trying to figure whole thing out. Focusing has been biggest challenge so far. C&C welcomed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MC Helios 81N 50/f2 + Nikon D3300 Reply with quote

helps wrote:
I'm new to mf lenses and I've been trying to figure whole thing out. Focusing has been biggest challenge so far. C&C welcomed

nice pictures!

focusing to a running or playing dog manually is a challenge indeed Smile

only way I succeeded is to pre-focus somewhere near the dog and use aperture 8 or 11 (outside, winter it does work, indoors, black dog, not so well)

I had a d3200 but the only way to get a really good focus was by live view.

First you can examine if your viewfinder is correct, use a tripor and a light source to shoot a picture of some sort of measuring stick at about 45 degrees angle. Use viewfinder to focus exactly and see if your live view gives back or front focus.

I never could use Canon EOS cameras with viewfinder or live view, so I have Samsung NX10 for mf lenses now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

Yea, dogs are little less cooperating when it comes to keeping still.
When I shot no.3 I also used pre-focus, I can't imagine to take that shot any other way. I only used f4 but f5.6 or higher could've been better I suppose.
Focusing can be hard on D3300, too but I use mostly viewfinder. Live view is probably bit easier, but I don't use a tripod (have to get one) so when I zoom in using live view it gets pretty hard to shoot handheld. It also drains battery much more. Though some of the shots above are taken with live view.

I did your test - even though handheld but i tried to steady my hand and took many shots that seemed to give me same or very similar results - using viewfinder. I watched little green dot and took my shot when it was lit up. Would you say then that my viewfinder is safe to use as for focus accuracy? Focus point was 11 ... I might've shaken my hand a bit in the last pic, shot at f2 and couple at f2.8 but results almost identical. Then I tried f4 but again focus seemed ok and got very similar results.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, it's at least better than mine.

I think the focus area should be wider after the 11 cm, now the 10 seems bit sharper than 12 but not much?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to keep testing in the field I guess Wink If you look at no. 3 it seems pretty precise, I think 10 might look bit sharper than 12 in some pics mostly because it was hand held so ofc there might have been minor shake.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helps wrote:
If you look at no. 3 it seems pretty precise

yes it is

just remember that the focus area is in front of the spot

like don't focus on the nose of the dog, focus the eye, so nose is in focus too etc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
helps wrote:
If you look at no. 3 it seems pretty precise

yes it is

just remember that the focus area is in front of the spot

like don't focus on the nose of the dog, focus the eye, so nose is in focus too etc

Thanks again Smile I'll try to keep that in mind

@Attila thanks for stopping by