Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please give me an advice for a project
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Please give me an advice for a project Reply with quote

Hello,

I need advice on a trial project / experiment.
I wrote an application that collects absolutely all ads for sold lenses on Ebay GB (All EU ads).
Classified with my help, so that every ad meets a model in the database.
The information is only for October, 2015.

• 3433 lens models and 143 lens brands.
  • Take all sold items unless it is listed as New or Faulty / Parts.
  • Ignored sets (camera + lens)
  • Ignored bundles (several lens in one ad).
  • Ignored extenders, lenses, turbos,etc (at least at this stage)
  • Ignore lens that even a person cannot understand what they are.
  • Ignore Some lenses that at least for now do not think are very interesting.

Because I am not very familiar with web design I've used a free web template just for a test.
The data collected are very well structured. Can earn any statistics, but I spent 5-6 test. It would be interesting to collect and America, but then you have to hire people to help me Very Happy

This is the address: http://lenses.gtm.space/

I will be grateful to you for advice and recommendations, especially if it is worth to keep as it requires a lot of time.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any feedback? Just added a table with search/sort for 1000 results.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss search I am not interest about totals, I interest about one lens sold item prices what I looking for.
http://www.mflenses.com/es.php it list sold items on several ebay prices.
What you did is impressing looking, but not useful in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/
Well known similar site.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did move it to Manual Focus Lenses forum to you, this is high traffic session , to get more reply , thank in Link section.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure ebay.co.uk takes all European sales? Ebay.de is quite big.

For me this can be useful as a quick reference for an average price, and i think that is what it is intended for. Anyhow, i do check ebay sold listings for price reference and a quick value estimate, but i never buy or sell through ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the top 1000 lens table is interesting. Maybe you can add "total listed" vs "sold" so we know the ratio of sold vs total available.

Average price is good, but lowest vs highest could be interesting (but then, it usually depends on condition).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first started to collect failed to sell items but the amount of data is huge for a single man to be structured.
TrueLoveOne, you are correct. I should change the description tomorrow. I meant that i dont collect items from outside EU because the market is different.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehand wrote:
I first started to collect failed to sell items but the amount of data is huge for a single man to be structured.
TrueLoveOne, you are correct. I should change the description tomorrow. I meant that i dont collect items from outside EU because the market is different.

But didn't you write an application that is reading ebay.eu for you? So it's all automatic no?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Firehand wrote:

But didn't you write an application that is reading ebay.eu for you? So it's all automatic no?
Semi automatic. Its impossible to classify titles like "superb canon lens" automatically Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the page to include the European map with sells per country and statistics about the focal length sells.

Thanks for all feedbacks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I've updated the data for November 2015. It took me alot more time because of the nearly 58% increase of the sells.
There is no new functionalities as im doing it in my free time but have some ideas for the near future.
I've added a "thanks list" where this forum is included too.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very interesting information.
Some points that stand out -

- Market share by country is odd - UK sales volume being >10X Germany just to start. UK is either a very popular ebay site for all sellers (people in the rest of Europe selling through ebay UK by preference vs their own country iteration of ebay), other marketing systems are more popular elsewhere reducing ebay market share in the rest of Europe, or there is some special social acceptance of online selling in the UK. I cant believe that the UK has a much bigger camera market than the rest of Europe all together.
This is worth looking into.

- Sunday is the big selling day of the week - I suppose its the favorite day to end auctions, the next day being convenient for shipment. Anyway, very interesting. Possibly sales ending mid-week will have less competition and get higher prices ? Just speculating.

- Bestseller list is not a surprise. That Sigma 10-20 is a very nice lens BTW. Super value, and must be the top seller for Sigma. That the Helios is still so popular in such a survey is interesting. There must be such a huge number of them available in those markets. I suspect this will be a different situation if someone were to do a similar analysis of US ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Market share by country is odd - UK sales volume being >10X Germany just to start...
They are different markets. Once i tried to fetch data from ebay DE and there were totally different articles. Thats why i ignored Ebay US too. There are too many items for a single man to process them.