Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahi "Sonnar" Takumar 58mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Asahi "Sonnar" Takumar 58mm f2 Reply with quote

This baby recently popped up on eBay while I was bored at work.
I instantly bought it (it was a good price) after some very minor research, since I was not familiar with it.
I received it today, and it is love at first sight. Too bad I am stuck at work and it is 18 degrees and snowing outside, but I had to try some indoor shots.

No PP on any of the pictures except on last for exposure and contrast.
I really like this lens of the bat-can't wait for some friendlier weather to really give her a go. I will then upload some nicer samples.

And here is the lens in question- she is a beauty.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the smaller screw mount right? M37?
They had some lenses with very nice rendering, congrats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an M42 lens.. I have one as well.. it's pretty rare I guess but I see them on ebay every now and then. This is what I learned about the lens..Not sure where I read it :

1957: Takumar 55/2,2 - Ultron design
1957: Takumar 58/2,4 - Heliar design
1957: Takumar 58/2 - Sonnar design

The fastest of the original three normal lenses launched alongside the Asahi Pentax in 1957 and only in production for one year. These were the first lenses made by Asahi in M42 mount. The optical design 6 elements, 4 groups is that of a Sonnar and the lens still holds the record for being the widest focal length Sonnar ever made for a 35mm SLR (any wider than 58mm and the rear of the lens would have been too close to the film plane and fouled the mirror, that's why 50mm Sonnars are rangefinder items only). The lens was fantastically expensive when it was new and failed to perform as well as the mid range double-gauss 55/2.2 (which became the basis for all subsequent Pentax 50/55 non-macro lenses). This lens is extremely rare and hard to find, especially in mint condition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sir, it is actually m42 mount. The 2.4 and other asahiflex lenses are m37, but this one came on original Pentax AP and is M42 mount my research tells me.
However, I wasn't sure until I got it either.
And thank you, I am pretty giddy about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the lens. Smile

I have one and its certainly one of my favorite 50mm.

Its seems to speak of another time in the Pentax lineage of camera/lens development.
Very small for a SLR 50mm.

IIRC, its said that about 1000 were made.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leemik-
You are right on-thanks for the rundown and info. I was not familiar with the Ultron design on 2.2, but everything else is what I've read.

And pinholecam, I read somewhere that 20,000 were made, but that seems mighty high. 1000
Sounds a lot more accurate.
I'm also rather certain it will become one of my favorite 50mm. It has that certain extra quality that really appeals to me, a la yashinon 1.2/55 and Ultron 1.8/50.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leemik wrote:
This is an M42 lens.. I have one as well.. it's pretty rare I guess but I see them on ebay every now and then. This is what I learned about the lens..Not sure where I read it :

1957: Takumar 55/2,2 - Ultron design
1957: Takumar 58/2,4 - Heliar design
1957: Takumar 58/2 - Sonnar design

I have two of them. It means that it is time for Sonnar hunting Like Dog

From what I read Takumar 55/1.8 is Ultron design (6 elements-5groups). Takumar 55/2.2 is 5 elements-5groups, but I have not found too many sources to confirming this fact.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Asahi "Sonnar" Takumar 58mm f2 Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
This baby recently popped up on eBay while I was bored at work.
I instantly bought it (it was a good price) after some very minor research, since I was not familiar with it.
I received it today, and it is love at first sight. Too bad I am stuck at work and it is 18 degrees and snowing outside, but I had to try some indoor shots.

Congratulations on your purchase. Boredom is good at work Smile
What does good price? I saw this lens on the 170-200usd range, which I do not believe it is a price so good for a 50mm lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like a sonnar in how it renders to my eyes. Congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edri-that right there is a great price. I paid $150 for mine but It is obviously not just another 50mm ;p
To right collector, it can be over $600 in good condition.
If you're not taking up that opportunity, I will gladly take it off their hands Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic from just a few days ago.

20151229-DSC09158 by jenkwang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah this place is dangerous.

I've never had a play with a pre-set early Takumar like that. Let me just remind myself it must be similar to a good condition Helios 44M and I'll forget all about the Tak Razz Have fun with it Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fine lens indeed and has a nice bokeh!

Soem images here taken a while ago: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157627814126189

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the contributions you guys.
Here is a couple more shots I got this weekend, of my beautiful nephew.

I am absolutely in love with this lens. The rendering is magnificent, and it's just sharp enough at f2.
Great Microcontrast it seems to me, and picture number two shows the great rendering-especially of highlights without 'flaring'.
Bound to become one of my never-sell, favorite lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
Thanks for the contributions you guys.
Here is a couple more shots I got this weekend, of my beautiful nephew.

I am absolutely in love with this lens. The rendering is magnificent, and it's just sharp enough at f2.
Great Microcontrast it seems to me, and picture number two shows the great rendering-especially of highlights without 'flaring'.
Bound to become one of my never-sell, favorite lenses.

Nice!
It does so well for people shots.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some with the Takumar 58/2 from the Thaipusam Festival

20160124-DSC09539 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20160124-DSC09324 by jenkwang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up recently for a little bit more than what you paid but still on the cheapish side Very Happy I am very happy with it,on the XE-1 playing with the B&W in camera setting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just this week I have managed to acquire a nice clean copy of the 58mm f2 Takumar.Looking forward to using it on my Pentax K5.

Last edited by BAR8BARIAN on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my new acquisition.

Last edited by BAR8BARIAN on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAR8BARIAN wrote:

This is my new acquisition.

Like Dog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No weather to shoot but a quick one anyway
wet geranium by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2cm extension tube
Nothing is really sharp any more but the bokeh is super smooth.

Grasskeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stillsanj the portraits are stunning. Great lens and mono photos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1