Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New lens fun - Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: New lens fun - Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 Reply with quote

Took a new lens out today. Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2. Fun, fun, fun!
Ergonomics will take a little getting used to, but absolutely love the results.

What do you think? Check out the full size shots too, so much detail.

(I think I got some of my better photos for some time today, but I'm not sure if that's in my head)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats for your new lens, and these photos, they look fantastic. you really nailed the focus on the portrait.
the M-Rokkors are amazing lenses. I never have had a Leica lens, in a way the M-Rokkors make me believe that Leica enthusiasts have a point. Is your's the early single coated or later multi coated version, which btw. only exists as M-Rokkor, not as Summicron.
Mine is the early single coated and I am not 100% sure if my copy is perfect, possibly your copy is better, or is it simply that I never was able to take such a sharp photo with it like you.. Still it has given me my 2 most successful photos on flickr and I really like this lens!
recently I had taken my set of the 3 M-Rokkors as only lenses on a short trip. What an amazing travel set they make. 28mm, 40mm and 90mm, I found that ideal. ( sadly my 28mm has issues, so much hope to get that sorted out, if not I may get a good copy eventually )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's the multi-coated version (serial number is on the side, rather than the front).
At least, the way it handled direct sun I'm pretty sure it's multi-coated.

The sun is at the edge of frame top right above that solar panel.
There's flare, and contrast loss, but I expected more given it's almost in the frame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
I believe it's the multi-coated version (serial number is on the side, rather than the front).
At least, the way it handled direct sun I'm pretty sure it's multi-coated..

yes, I believe that must mean it's the multi coated one. Flare resistance looks alright, this version is said to be the better lens.
Mine isn't really doing all that swell when used against light. But still acceptable, and after all I do like the 'vintage' look of images Wink
I like it's very small size and it's handling.

ok, I did find a portrait where I had focused decently well wide open. ( 'clarity' slightly decreased in LR..Wink )

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C1mM3Y]
Untitled[/url] by Andreas, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well meanwhile, your copy blows the copy I had out of the water, so congrats on that.
And to kuuan, my 28 had spots forming all around, I believe it's common for that lens, and can show up in unaffected lenses, what really sucks is that the lens elements are glued in, so I don't recommend trying to fix it yourself.
I have a feeling it's something to do with the paint and glue that caused it. If you don't see anything in the pictures, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive, lovely pictures. I like my Rokkors, but this is one I don't have - and I will look for.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Well meanwhile, your copy blows the copy I had out of the water, so congrats on that.
And to kuuan, my 28 had spots forming all around, I believe it's common for that lens, and can show up in unaffected lenses, what really sucks is that the lens elements are glued in, so I don't recommend trying to fix it yourself.
I have a feeling it's something to do with the paint and glue that caused it. If you don't see anything in the pictures, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

meanwhiles copy looking 'better' than ours, I wonder if the higher resolution camera used also plays a part in that?
Lightshow my 28mm already has gone through quite some fixing, Photos had a 'veil', already focusing was very difficult because of the veiled image in the viewfinder. It's improved but far from how it should be. I still have hopes for some more improvement: http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-m-rokkor-28-2-8-spotting-corrosion-advice-needed-t62674.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the A7m2, so basically the same sensor as the A7.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
I'm on the A7m2, so basically the same sensor as the A7.

oh, ah, right Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first shot is killer. Very nice lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic portrait Meanwhile !!!

How does the lens perform on the A7mII ? Any soft corners, smearing.... ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive. Like 1 small

Looks like those M-Rokkors fetch major bucks though! Ouch!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Great shots, bummer that I sold mine, darn Wink