Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you think Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.9/50 needs a Lens Hood?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Do you think Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.9/50 needs a Lens Hood? Reply with quote

Hello,

What do you think?
Should I get a lens hood for my Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.9/50?
The lens front element is so tiny and dumped in the middle of a conical tunnel inside the barrel that I don't know if it worth to get a lens hood.
I've noticed a bit of lack of contrast on my photos, but it may be because of the wide aperture I'm using (f/2.9).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use hood for any lens, if need to fix contrast just a click in post process, I doubt hood will improve a lot it's contrast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I never use hood for any lens, if need to fix contrast just a click in post process, I doubt hood will improve a lot it's contrast.

On my Fujinon 2.2/55 I've noticed a big difference with and without a hood in some situations were the light was in front.
But that's because the lens front element is very close to the edge of the lens barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this article from Modern Photography helps to understand better the importance of lens shades:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1386811.html#1386811

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a big box of random hoods, all bought for pennies, all sizes and shapes. I just prefer to get the best contrast I can from any lens so I always use a hood. Keeps some rain off as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like hoods because they make my camera appear even larger and embarrasses my family even further. For some reason, they find a camera that doesn't look like a phone to be undignified. Shakes head sadly.

Seriously, for lenses that don't have multicoating, I find them convenient and functional. The article above was interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too tend to not use hoods, and because of that, lenses that require them at all times tend to not see as much use.
I generally don't worry about a loss in contrast because it's so easy to add it back in post, what does worry me is big ugly flare, not to be confused with pleasant flare, it's hard to describe the difference, but I know it when I see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found, over the years, that some lenses benefit from a hood even when there is no direct light striking the front elements.
I am unsure why this is. I don't know of any hard and fast rule that will indicate the necessity of a hood or not, but a few images taken with or without the hood usually let me know.
Try out your lens with one and without, and see whether you can notice any difference. Hoods are as cheap as chips and come in every size imaginable.
here is a link
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371446498038?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=640513136061&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ALWAYS try and use a hood, even if I need to use a tube and duct tape. It massively helps to
improve image contrast, especially with old(er) lenses which I often use...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I ALWAYS try and use a hood, even if I need to use a tube and duct tape. It massively helps to
improve image contrast, especially with old(er) lenses which I often use...

+1

For me it's a matter of principle to use a hood. If it doesn't improve the image quality it is at least protecting the lens. On the other hand I don't use any "protecting" filters at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started this thread because the filter size of the Trioplan 2.9/50 is not a common one (35,5mm), and it is a bit difficult to find a hood for it.
I've found a couple of vintage hoods with that 35,5mm screw, but they are much more expensive than the plastic ones i get from china or Hong Kong.
So I thought that before I pull the trigger and sped my money on an expensive hood, I would like to know other opinions.
Looks like there are no other Trioplan users visiting this thread.
Anyway, I've ordered a lens hood for my Trioplan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard,

Thank you for the article about lens hoods.
Very interesting reading.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:
I've started this thread because the filter size of the Trioplan 2.9/50 is not a common one (35,5mm), and it is a bit difficult to find a hood for it.
I've found a couple of vintage hoods with that 35,5mm screw, but they are much more expensive than the plastic ones i get from china or Hong Kong.
So I thought that before I pull the trigger and sped my money on an expensive hood, I would like to know other opinions.

Buy a cheap hood, and a step ring from 35.5 to something more common like 37 or 49mm - http://srb-photographic.co.uk/355mm-step-rings-796-c.asp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
jrsilva wrote:

Buy a cheap hood, and a step ring from 35.5 to something more common like 37 or 49mm - http://srb-photographic.co.uk/355mm-step-rings-796-c.asp

Thank you.

I've managed to order a vintage bakelite hood in 35,5mm screw size.
It cost me just a bit more than a cheap hood + Step-up.