Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super wide for Sony A7?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Super wide for Sony A7? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I got the Minolta MD 20mm 2.8 for my Sony A7 but I'd like to go a little wider.

Do you know any lenses in the 17mm/18mm range that cover full frame and are recommendable?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new voigtländers are pretty interesting, they will be released soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Samyang 14/2.8 not available in E-mount?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
The Samyang 14 looks interesting.

What about something older and cheaper like the Tokina 17mm RMC?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk wrote:

Thanks

I have the Tokina RMC 17mm, i've used it with a Canon 5D, it's a very good lens.
My A7 arrived just today, i was wondering about the same: how will it perform on the A7?

I will try soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
The Samyang 14 looks interesting.

Thanks

I had someone using the 17 RMC on his A900 (24MP FF) participating in my photo travels. After he had seen the results of my Sony/Zeiss ZA 2.8/16-35mm, he quite soon got the ZA 16-35mm as well ...

The Samyang 14mm is on the same level as the ZA 16-35 @ 16mm (apart from distortion, which is really disturbing on the Samyang). HOWEVER i have personally witnessed how a 14mm Samyang literally degraded within a few days - from "excellent" to "completely unsharp corners" in just one week. I'm not going to buy the Samyang.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have a A7, a great option would be the Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 with an adapter for Sony E mount. A new Tamron costs about three times the price of a good used 17mm lens, but you have instantly 15mm, 17mm, 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 30mm focal lengths in a single lens. Besides the Tamron has speed, convenience, quality, etc. What else do you want?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Is Samyang 14/2.8 not available in E-mount?

You don't need it in an E-mount. Just get it in a Nikon mount, and get a Nikon -> E-mount adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV 15 v3 is well liked on the stock cameras.

Here the ZM 18 on A7.mod v1

DSC02695 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC02719 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC02749 by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
CV 15 v3 is well liked on the stock cameras.

I really like mine.
My Nikkor 18/4 is quite good, Nikon replaced it with a 2.8 version.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voigtlander 15 looks really nice.
The Samyang does too.

Any other alternatives?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the very best UWA option for A7 series, excepting the new Loxia 21, is widely considered to be the Leica WATE, which does edge out the CV 15, albeit at 16. Next from those two is a good copy, if you can find one, of the 1635.

I fear the thick cover glass on the sony takes the edge off most UWA options, and many are the threads, from the introduction, crying for great UWA performance with A7 on Sony forums. Zeiss I believe does plan an 18. This issue caused me to find a M9.

The $4-500 Kolari replacement of the 1.9mm coverglass with first 1mm (shown below) and now .8mm, eliminates the pickyness altogether, and many UWAs shoot fantastic on those:

DSC02656-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

I'm not sure any native or legacy option can equal the performance above with ZM18 on the Kolari. Slight flare there from the flagpole Smile

A7.mod w/ZM18 by unoh7, on Flickr