Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Time to upgrade - Sony A7II, A7R or A7RII?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Time to upgrade - Sony A7II, A7R or A7RII? Reply with quote

The time to upgrade my beloved NEX-7 has finally arrived.
With the approval of my wife I'll spoil myselfe with a nice Christmas present. The budget could be over 3000€.
My options are:
- A7II with a Batis 25mm f/2.
- A7R with a Batis 25mm f/2.
- A7RII without lenses.
A FE Sonnar 55mm f/1.8 will certanly be added soon to the chosen camera.
I'll use the camera mainly as a passionate amateur but I need to be prepared for some professional assignments as well, including landscape and architecture (no weddings or events).

You can imagine that I read everything I could find on internet about each of the 3 cameras and I know the specs of each of them. So far my first choice is the A7II+Batis combo.
Anyway, it is an important upgrade and a consistent financial effort for me and therefore I'm asking for your advice.

I know many of you have recently faced a similar dilemma and therefore my questions to you are:
What was your choice? And why? If you could chose again you'll change your mind? If you were in my situation what would you chose?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reasons not buying an A7RII. Even you don't take 4K video, it is still one of the best MILC for landscape and architecture if you need the resolution. Don't buy the A7R as it lacks EFCS, IBIS(both benefits hand-held shooting)and uncompressed Raw(useful for low light photography).

Last edited by calvin83 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't agree more to what Calvin said Dan! Great decision, happy for you!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if I had the wherewithall, I'd buy an A7RII. But I can't justify that sort of expense right now. Happy hunting!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7R2 also have the nice new BSI sensor Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'll probably take the A7II because I don't need the extra resolution (and in fact think it would actually weigh me down), and also there's a not insignificant difference in price but if you plan to use the camera professionally and have the budget for it, then I too don't see a reason not to go for the A7RII. Though you might also need to upgrade your compute and storage sooner or later.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need the extra pixels to get the most out of the FE 55 and Batis 25 too. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't tell you what to chose.. but can tell you that I just upgraded my A7 with the A7R2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Thank you all for your advices.
You made me change my initial option and finally decide for A7RII. I've just ordered it today on ebay (locally it costs ~500€ more) here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121769450599?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Hopefully it will arrive between 15 and 17 Dec.

There was a cheaper offer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281858646836?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
but, by reading the feedback, I discovered that the seller had to refund 2 A7RII cameras in the last month and that made me suspicious.

Unfortunatly the beautiful Batis 25mm will have to wait for a while.

Now I am anxious like a child waiting for his Christmas gift Happy Dog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dan!! I press thumbs that all goes smoothly with your deal!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz!
Like Dog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lars!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is no doubht of what is the best camera regarding IQ these days. I am pretty sure you will get wonderfull results with the A7R II. Even fast AF guys have started looking at Sony after this camera release. I am happy for you Dan!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again, Lars.
The camera has just arrived today, sooner than expected. It's a beauty and everything seems O.K. so far!Happy Dog
I'm trying to get used with the menus and settings. Tommorow I'll take it out for a walk.
Before I'll let feedback for the seller - is there anything in particular I must check and test on it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great you already have it Dan! Looking forward to seeing some results!!