Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D3300 + MC HELIOS 81N 2/50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Nikon D3300 + MC HELIOS 81N 2/50mm Reply with quote

Hi all,

I purchased Helios 81N for my new Nikon camera and I have a few questions. Hope this is right forum to ask, if not please move the thread where it belongs.
I'm relatively new to dslr but I learnt the basics. I also learnt how to use back button focus on Nikon, how to lock focus and recompose. I just received my Helios lens which seems brilliant. I took some test shots and it was first time today that I was using full manual mode. I think it went relatively smooth all things considered, but when I imported all photos to my laptop, I saw that lot of pics that I thought were in focus turned out to be OOF. Apparently looking through viewfinder, it seemed like I focused right and then it turns out I didn't. Here I'm getting to my question: What is ideal approach for focusing with manual lens? This is my first MF lens and as I said, I know how to use back button focus, how to lock focus on eyes and recompose etc. with other lens, but I'm not sure how it works and how is it different with MF lenses? How do I lock focus on certain spot e.g. eyes?

Thank you all, it's really appreciated Smile

Helen

PS: Here are few shots I took today of my dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon D3300 + MC HELIOS 81N 2/50mm Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Helen!
Anti spam prevention stops first post from showing photos.
Using manual focus lenses takes some practice even from lens to lens. Other members besides me
can offer better advice.
Nice shots and dog!
helps wrote:
Hi all,

I purchased Helios 81N for my new Nikon camera and I have a few questions. Hope this is right forum to ask, if not please move the thread where it belongs.
I'm relatively new to dslr but I learnt the basics. I also learnt how to use back button focus on Nikon, how to lock focus and recompose. I just received my Helios lens which seems brilliant. I took some test shots and it was first time today that I was using full manual mode. I think it went relatively smooth all things considered, but when I imported all photos to my laptop, I saw that lot of pics that I thought were in focus turned out to be OOF. Apparently looking through viewfinder, it seemed like I focused right and then it turns out I didn't. Here I'm getting to my question: What is ideal approach for focusing with manual lens? This is my first MF lens and as I said, I know how to use back button focus, how to lock focus on eyes and recompose etc. with other lens, but I'm not sure how it works and how is it different with MF lenses? How do I lock focus on certain spot e.g. eyes?
Thank you all, it's really appreciated Smile
Helen

PS: Here are few shots I took today of my dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome Smile

Oh good to know! Had no idea what went wrong with the pics! I thought maybe I did something wrong haha. I realize that manual focus takes a lot of practice. I also heard that liveview might be better option when using MF lens on dslr, but I wanted to hear tips and opinions from experienced users like yourself Smile It seems that liveview+zooming in really is much more precise, but it can be little slow. Using viewfinder I often see subject in focus but then find out I was completely off so that confuses me a little. Guess I have to keep trying. Thanks for your feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my viewfinder when focusing and focus in and out, narrowing it down to the correct focus.
Also closing down the aperture more can help sharpen your image up. These are basic tips.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Smile I think I got an idea now. I also found out that green focus dot in d3300 is quite reliable. It tells me when the focus is spot on. I'm really happy for getting this little old lens now. I've only had it for three days, but it's been an experience in itself haha. I never paid much attention to green dot and other things with AF. Now I see that with mf lens I have to ask a lot of questions and keep practicing.
One last thing that isn't clear to me and I'd love if someone could clarify that - I used to focus, lock focus and recompose with my other lenses but I suppose it's not possible to lock focus and recompose with mf lens? It was really convinient to lock focus on the eye and recompose. Do I have to compose, focus and shoot with this one or any alternative suggestions what can I try?? Sorry if it's silly question haha I'm obviously new to this. Embarassed