Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenit Photosniper Exposure Question.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Zenit Photosniper Exposure Question. Reply with quote

Hi All
I recently purchased a Zenit Photosniper which is in very good condition & has all the bits. The included camera is a Zenit ES which appears to have had little use, everything except for the light seals is perfect. I have replaced the seals & checked the light meter. My question is do I need to compensate exposure settings due to light loss when using the 300mm lens?

Seeing that the Zenit E light meter is external & not TTL I am assuming if I was to set the exposure using the meter I would end up with under exposed shots??

Anyone had experience with this or similar?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenit Photosniper Exposure Question. Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
Hi All
I recently purchased a Zenit Photosniper which is in very good condition & has all the bits. The included camera is a Zenit ES which appears to have had little use, everything except for the light seals is perfect. I have replaced the seals & checked the light meter. My question is do I need to compensate exposure settings due to light loss when using the 300mm lens?

Seeing that the Zenit E light meter is external & not TTL I am assuming if I was to set the exposure using the meter I would end up with under exposed shots??

Anyone had experience with this or similar?

Thanks in advance

Set the aperture recommended by your meter, f5.6 is f5.6 on any lens. There will always be slight differences in image betweeen any two lenses at the same aperture but its small and due to the light loss between elements. The Tair is a coated three element lens so there should be little light difference compared to your 6 element Helios. Indeed it may be a fraction lighter.

someone will complicate things with t stops. That doesnt count here as tour lens doesnt have them nor is it made for movies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You
That makes sense, I was overthinking the problem ??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
Thank You
That makes sense, I was overthinking the problem ??

I think so. LOL

Back in film days we just did it, today we are more technically minded and so used to auto everything that manual everything is daunting and sounds complicated.