Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosinon 50mm 1.7 M42 bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Cosinon 50mm 1.7 M42 bokeh Reply with quote

Just got this lens and love it.
I think it's a combination between helios 40 and trioplan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me thirst for a good Champagne. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Whoo Turtle

Yoda says: Cosinon 50 1.7 shop you must Idea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the sharpest lens...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cosinon 50mm 1.7 M42 bokeh Reply with quote

mutusorin wrote:
Just got this lens and love it.
I think it's a combination between helios 40 and trioplan

One glance at this and I can hear the sound of the cash register.
I sure wish those were gold thalers. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My images are not bokeh-rich......... sorry.
I have this lens and went to use t this afternoon.
I hope you don't mind me adding to yours.
I was gifted one of these in non working condition. It is now fully functioning thanks to my son.
I was trying it out on the lemon bush when some king parrots appeared at the feeder. It is amazing how close these birds will allow an unthreatening approach.
Even so, I have cropped the images of the parrots by almost half.
Here are the images.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set myself this year not to buy other lenses only if I need a certain lens (... I left a door of escape Wink ).
A Cosinn 50 1.7 lens is on the way because I had read and view images on this topic Twisted Evil It is K mount, I hope to be the same optical formula with M42 version.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pictures of the lens? I can't find it on ebay..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
Any pictures of the lens? I can't find it on ebay..

Here is mine Roger.
Not sure if they all look the same.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
I set myself this year not to buy other lenses only if I need a certain lens (... I left a door of escape Wink ).
A Cosinn 50 1.7 lens is on the way because I had read and view images on this topic Twisted Evil It is K mount, I hope to be the same optical formula with M42 version.

Laugh 1

These are excellent sample photos! Unfamiliar with this lens as well. So, thanks to OP and Oldhand for posting....I think. Wink
(Another lens I didn't know I needed!)

Aside:
Other than the bubble machine that it is, as evident in the evening shots, the rest seemed oddly reminiscent of a M42 Auto Rikenon 50 f/1.7.
Always assumed it was made by Tomioka, but the swirly bokeh doesn't fit the pattern of known Tomioka-made 50 f/1.7 models, namely Yashinon. Those have the smooth melt away bokeh and are center sharp. The Rikenon is also a bit soft at f/1.7 like the above samples.

Now I wonder if it's a Cosina-made lens!
There is also a nearly identical 'EE' Rikenon except for that rear pin. That one seems to perform a bit sharper wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does look a little like the Auto Rikenon, however it is smaller overall and has a smaller filter thread - 49mm vs 52mm.
Here are some comparisons.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Thomas!
Definitive side by side comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice lens! I think I'll have to buy it now heh Smile It will nicely complement my Cosinon 55/1.4 (which is also a very nice lens and I love it!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet looking bokeh and nice pics, not very sharp however...

The Topcor 50/1.4 seems to have a similar very bubbly bokeh like this lens .. so does the Fujinon 55mm f/2.2 and those lenses might be sharper

--mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leemik wrote:
Sweet looking bokeh and nice pics, not very sharp however...

The Topcor 50/1.4 seems to have a similar very bubbly bokeh like this lens .. so does the Fujinon 55mm f/2.2 and those lenses might be sharper

--mike

You might be right about sharpness (I have the Fujinon 50/2.2), but what makes this lens interesting is the fact that the bokeh looks like a mix of those soap bubble ones with the swirl effect of an Helios.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, good evening. I liked the sample photos that were posted. Do any of you know if the Cosinon F/1.8 50mm has the same rendering as this F/1.7 version? Both are M42 mount. These screenshots are the only information I could find about both lenses.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmd45019jf160tq/Screenshot_20201021-105146_Samsung%20Internet.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iloe9mj9hei3hyk/Screenshot_20201021-103559_Samsung%20Internet.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely very similar. The 1.8 is as swirly as a helios

cosinon by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

cosinon by The lens profile, on Flickr

I own a Helios 44 and recently purchased the Cosinon 50mm F/1.8. Which will be arriving tomorrow. I was debating on whether I should purchase the Cosinon F/1.7 version. Since that is the one OP posted sample photos of. Just wish I knew if both have identical rendering. I don't want to waste my money if they do. Also, the Cosinon F/1.7 seems rare to find on Ebay. I take it they weren't mass produced?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince-Harbinger wrote:

D1N0 wrote:

I own a Helios 44 and recently purchased the Cosinon 50mm F/1.8. Which will be arriving tomorrow. I was debating on whether I should purchase the Cosinon F/1.7 version. Since that is the one OP posted sample photos of. Just wish I knew if both have identical rendering. I don't want to waste my money if they do. Also, the Cosinon F/1.7 seems rare to find on Ebay. I take it they weren't mass produced?

I am pretty sure there is not much difference between them. I think the Helios is a better lens on all counts except swirl which is near identical. Cosina wasn't a big brand but they did make a lot of third party. You can find the 50mm 1.7 in different guises.
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1368-exaktar-auto-50mm-f-1-7-16
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/238-carenar-super-carenar-50mm-f-1-7-16
Some version of the Rikenon 50mm 1.7 also look just like it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ricoh-Auto-Rikenon-50mm-f-1-7-M42-Screw-Mount-Prime-Lens/264805531806?hash=item3da7a3c09e:g:hh4AAOSw~xFfGbKg

And there were 2 different 50mm 1.7's from Cosina. I just have the 1.8 so I wouldn't know if there is a difference
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1257-cosinon-auto-mc-50mm-f-1-7-16
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1413-cosina-cosinon-auto-mc-50mm-f-1-7-16-zebra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Prince-Harbinger wrote:

D1N0 wrote:

I am pretty sure there is not much difference between them. I think the Helios is a better lens on all counts except swirl which is near identical. Cosina wasn't a big brand but they did make a lot of third party. You can find the 50mm 1.7 in different guises.
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1368-exaktar-auto-50mm-f-1-7-16
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/238-carenar-super-carenar-50mm-f-1-7-16
Some version of the Rikenon 50mm 1.7 also look just like it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ricoh-Auto-Rikenon-50mm-f-1-7-M42-Screw-Mount-Prime-Lens/264805531806?hash=item3da7a3c09e:g:hh4AAOSw~xFfGbKg

And there were 2 different 50mm 1.7's from Cosina. I just have the 1.8 so I wouldn't know if there is a difference
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1257-cosinon-auto-mc-50mm-f-1-7-16
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1413-cosina-cosinon-auto-mc-50mm-f-1-7-16-zebra

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it. You're right about the helios and I actually prefer it's build quality. Something about those silver lenses. I wasn't able to find the Carenar version on Ebay. I did check out that F/1.7 listing yesterday, but I didn't like the sellers reviews. I did read that Cosinon made lenses for the bigger brands. They didn't make many for themselves. Guess I'll take some test shots tomorrow, and see if I can reproduce the bokeh highlights the OP did with his shots. If it looks the same than I'll likely grab the Auto Rikenon 50mm F/1.7. As I really think it renders beautifully.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind me digging up the topic.

Recently I purchased the 50/1.7 along with its "brother" - the Revuenon 50/1.8. Neither has MC markings on them and the Revuenon does feel like it has no coating at all (transparent glass on the front element and also loss of contrast and a lot of flares). The Cosinon has some gold-ish coating that makes it look literally like Takumar and also causes pictures to be a bit warmer but I can't say if it's SC or MC.

A few samples from the Cosinon 50/1.7:

I also thought that I'll take a few shots and compare them head to head with the Takumar 55/1.8 which is obviously superior to both. The following pictures are unaltered in any way other than jpeg compression. The only ones that have a bit of postprocessing are the last 6 starry sky shots. However, all the settings (both: camera and postprocessing) for these pictures are exactly the same.

Cosinon:

Revuenon:

Takumar:

================================
Cosinon:

Revuenon:

Takumar:

Cosinon:

Revuenon:

Takumar:

Cosinon:

Revuenon:

Takumar:

Cosinon:

Revuenon:

Takumar:

Cosinon:

Revuenon:

Takumar:

Cosinon @f2:

Revuenon @f2:

Takumar @f2:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the coatingless rendering of the Revuenon in some shots. It also seems sharper. I wonder how you got the cat to stay put while you were changing lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I actually like the coatingless rendering of the Revuenon in some shots. It also seems sharper. I wonder how you got the cat to stay put while you were changing lenses.

The Revuenon is sharper but they're both pretty close and the difference disappears at f3.5 or so. The one major difference, though, is that the Cosinon's colors are much warmer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the Auto Rikenon 50 1.7 is a different lens, not the same as the Cosinon 50 1.7. It's also a lot better if my copies are reliable examples.