Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm f/3.5 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm f/3.5 M42 Reply with quote

How good is the above lens and what would be a fair price if it comes with case and hood? How does the Auto switch operate?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one with hood (but no case) in excellent condition for US $37 including postage. On ebay you can get them for between $30-40 plus postage if you are patient. I have seen them as high as $70-90.

My initial test shots were promising - clear and sharp. Do a search here on the forum and you will find sample images that give you an idea of what the lens can achieve in capable hands.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent reference for all the old Takumar/Pentax lenses...and many others.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-35mm-F3.5.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy using my 35mm f3.5 (SMC Version)

It's no larger then a M50 f2, just as easy to use as any other, and still very usable.

My version has never been a WOW! but always just a faithful useful, consistent piece of glass.

Click 1
Click 2
Click 3
Click 4

Thinking about it more, I wouldnt tend towards calling it soft.. but that's not exactly fair, Yet again it just "looks" different.

I was surprised that my Pentax M35 f2.8 was so different to the Tak.

Wait, maybe this makes sense, The M35 is closer to the M50 f1.7 as is the Tak 35 towards the Tak 50 f1.4 Razz (my copy at least)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the super takumar in this and I just love it. Pentax got the engineering and ergonomics SO right in that era. I never hesitate to buy pentax lenses "as is" from bayers seliing with "I know nothing about cameras" from this era as virtually every time I get something useful and pretty frequently they are in excellent condition. As an example I got a pentax 6x7 S-M-C 90mm with LS for my MF camera that was sold that way. I was the only one who bid and got it for 58 USD. I have super takumar m42 in , 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm 1.4 (2), 55mm 1.8, 105mm, 135mm,150mm,200mm. I also have super multi coated in 20mm, 28mm, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.9, 135mm and 200mm. All came in and just worked. Only a couple even have stiff regions on the focus throw, no stiff or non working blades. Some of em are a bit worn and even beat up but you can't blame that on the manufacturer. They remind me of Honda products from 1985-1990. I love the ergonomics of olympus but they seem overly prone to fungus. CZJ has issues with oily blades, and stiff focus. Topcon tend to have mechanical issues. All the other manufacturers I have (albeit limited) experience with have had one issue or another in various lenses. Sorry for the ramble but I just loves my pentax stuff. They may not be the sharpest of the sharp but certainly can do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the Super version as opposed to the S-M-C. The later model will have better flare resistance.
Mechanically the same.
How good it is will depend on how you plan to shoot with it.
It's very good close up to portrait lengths. But gets weak for wide landscapes. Also a bit slow in low light street photography.
As mentioned, it's quite small. Build quality is superb, but I shelved mine and searched for a better overall performing 35mm.

The Auto switch is for aperture control via the pin on the M42 mount.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice wide angle for FF camera. A little slow for crop normal.

I sold mine. I keep the S-M-C 35/2 in M42.

Auto/Man switch: In Man position, Aperture ring operates diaphragm. In Auto position, depress M42 pin to close diaphragm to aperture ring setting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this 35mm compare to the Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28mm f/3.5 M42?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my variants I found the 28mm Super Tak to be "sharper" (what ever the hell that means). But I prefer the 35mm fov for most general shooting (in APS land)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35mm is not quite as wide as 28mm. Laughing I agree with tromboads the 28mm has a little better image quality.

28mm makes a nice normal lens for crop, although a little slow. Excellent wide angle on FF, although a little slow. Which size sensor?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp! Here's a sample from sony nex 6

full size: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Ph1y-aH1pwQ2ZXVkFyOFZXNEk/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by lensa.ana on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind re-posting the image please lensa.ana
As an anti=spam measure the forum does not allow images on a first post.
Many thanks
OH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Many thanks
OH

Hi Oldhand, I already edit it and it working fine in preview. But it's still not appearing after I submit it. I don't know what's wrong.

EDIT: nevermind, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lensa.ana wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Many thanks
OH

Hi Oldhand, I already edit it and it working fine in preview. But it's still not appearing after I submit it. I don't know what's wrong.

EDIT: nevermind, thanks!

All good now - thank you for posting
OH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's more. All OOC JPEG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice flower pics.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome lensa.ana

Thanks for posting the excellent examples of 28/3.5 from crop sensor!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
... have super multi coated in ... 85mm 1.9 ...

Ooooooooh!!! A rarity!!! I kind of regret having sold mine. I kept the S-M-C 85/1.8, razor sharp wide open, while the S-M-C 85/1.9 has a nice softness WO I kind of miss sometimes...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first version of this lens I had was the Super-Tak 3.5/35. I wasn't too happy with it because it couldn't seem to achieve the resolution
that other people on the forum were showing me, so I traded it for the S-M-C version, which was a lot better. This pic of the Georges
River Bridge near Sydney was taken with it in 2012, probably at f8.

(Click on pic for full-size)

The S-M-C Takumar 3.5 28/3.5 is not a lot different in terms of resolution in my experience. Since then I've aquired the K version of both lenses and there is a marked improvement over the Takumars, particularly the 28 which is stellar.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a 35/3.5 lens on eBay, but Auto-Takumar early version. It seems to be the same optical formula, but a more compact body than later releases. At press time the lens was described as: "A medium speed lens with extremely high resolving power, this is an excellent general purpose wide-angle optic which will prove highly useful for scenic, industrial, and architectulral photography. Compact and light in weight." [http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Pentax_Takumar_e.html]. I'm a fan of compact lenses and I hope to be a good lens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The first version of this lens I had was the Super-Tak 3.5/35. I wasn't too happy with it because it couldn't seem to achieve the resolution
that other people on the forum were showing me, so I traded it for the S-M-C version, which was a lot better. This pic of the Georges
River Bridge near Sydney was taken with it in 2012, probably at f8.

(Click on pic for full-size)

The S-M-C Takumar 3.5 28/3.5 is not a lot different in terms of resolution in my experience. Since then I've aquired the K version of both lenses and there is a marked improvement over the Takumars, particularly the 28 which is stellar.

Great bridge shot!

This seems to be the same scenario I experienced with my Super Takumar 35-f/3.5. I may have to trade up to the S-M-C version and give it another try.
As for the 28mm f/3.5 primes. The Super version is physically different from the S-M-C version (smaller).
They both performed about the same and a bit sharper than the Super-Tak 35mm. All three did fine to very good in close focus photography. But they weren't great for landscapes. These wide Taks were the only ones I don't enjoy shooting with from the line.

I know the Pentax-K 28mm f/3.5 is in different league. Outstanding lens!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Super-Takumar 35/3.5
I always thought it was very sharp wide open, and certainly as good as the 28/3.5.

One problem with Takumars though, and its worse with wide angles, is that the typical construction is particularly vulnerable to losing infinity focus. This should be carefully checked. On many wide angles its the No.1 reason for perceptions of poor sharpness.

In general with wide angles it can be challenging to nail as the large DOF makes it hard to see when focus is dead on or not. Errors in focusing with a lens with a small aperture can lead to a perception that the lens isn't sharp.
The inability to focus perfectly through the SLR finder (nearly impossible with 24mm or wider) makes people focus by scale by preference. Focusing by scale requires the scale to be accurate, which unfortunately often isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I read more about problem with Takumar wide angles "typical construction is particularly vulnerable to losing infinity focus"?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt there is much literature about that. It's more of a "folks might have" experienced it.

Personally all my Tak's have been fine in that regard.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal experience.
I have been into many Takumars. Infinity is very easy to adjust because it is set by the rotation of the main optical block within the focus mechanism, and is locked down by friction, with three setscrews in slots. These can shift, and are sometimes loose. Interestingly the rotation/placement of the optical block also is used to adjust the aperture - the mechanism can have a different starting point for engaging the aperture linkage on the outer part of the lens.