Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CLA Service recommendations.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: CLA Service recommendations. Reply with quote

Hello guys.
I realize there is a separate sub forum for cleaning, but I figured many of you don't go there.
My cleaning guy is dropping out of the CLA game, and now I'm stuck with a lot of lenses that need TLC
And no means to service them :/
I have a rather long list, including Primoplan haze, MCM Chinon Macro haze, zuiko 1.2/55 oily blades, old xenon 1.9/50 CLA, Topcor 1.4/58 fungus, Ultron 1.8/50 fungus etc.
Can anyone recommend me someone good that could service most if not all of those lenses?
It would be much appreciated, as I hate being in the situation I am in and find it hard to re establish a trusting relationship with another serviceman. Thanks in advance, cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is who I used for my Topcor RE 85/1.8, and it came back great, I plan to have a few more lenses done.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/jenstarct

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that's exactly whom he's talking about !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? first I've heard of a bad experience.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1227372@N20/discuss/72157625887902917/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is who I am talking about. I did not have s bad experience, he simply is considering quitting. I hope I find someone soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
This is who I used for my Topcor RE 85/1.8, and it came back great, I plan to have a few more lenses done.
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/jenstarct

He also CLA'd and adjusted my Topcor 1.8/85mm and a few very expensives lenses and I'm very happy with what and how he's done! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
That is who I am talking about. I did not have s bad experience, he simply is considering quitting. I hope I find someone soon.

That's sad to hear, I guess I should get my lenses done sooner rather than later...
Hopefully we can find someone from the link I posted in my last post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
StillSanj wrote:

That's sad to hear, I guess I should get my lenses done sooner rather than later...
Hopefully we can find someone from the link I posted in my last post.

Are you talking about Marc who might plan on quitting??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to put other people's business out there, but yes I was talking about Marc/Jenstract. So I'm thinking of recommendations other than him. I'm very weary and trusting people with my lenses, so this really sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the confirmation that he's indeed shutting down by end of this year.
That's sad, but I'm sure he has good and well thought reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks, I wish him well...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. A string of laments that Marc is retiring but no recommendations for alternate repair sources.

Not a critique as I am in the same boat. I can't praise Marc's work, honesty and friendly service enough, nor can I offer up a viable alternative to the group.

I do wish him all the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Interesting. A string of laments that Marc is retiring but no recommendations for alternate repair sources.

Not a critique as I am in the same boat. I can't praise Marc's work, honesty and friendly service enough, nor can I offer up a viable alternative to the group.

Had you taken the few seconds time to read the given link, you'd seen many alternatives recommended.

Guess you're also one of the "lament fraction", right Steve? "if you poiunt with one finger, three point back at you"

Geez....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
newst wrote:

Had you taken the few seconds time to read the given link, you'd seen many alternatives recommended.

Guess you're also one of the "lament fraction", right Steve? "if you poiunt with one finger, three point back at you"

Geez....

Sorry. I guess I was looking for recommendations from members of sources that they have experience with. A call out to a website that I don't know that includes 5+ year old references doesn't give me the same warm and fuzzy feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, newst. I am sure that Marc has his reasons, and he is a great guy. I was hoping he had a protege or something to pick up the torch.
I am also looking for someone with direct experience and feedback. People like Marc are getting harder and harder to come by nowadays.
I have found a guy somewhat locally, I think I'll give him a couple lesser lenses to work on and see how it goes, as a trial run.
If you have any luck newst finding someone, please let me know, and I will do the same.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj,

I will certainly share with the forum whatever I discover. I discovered Marc by luck, answering one of his Ebay offers. To my pleasure I learned that he did very good work, faster than anyone I had dealt with before. He kept in contact, advising if any issues came up. In short it was great doing business with him.

I have sent him my best wishes on his retirement (he had told me earlier that it was coming but not how soon) and asked him if he could recommend a 'replacement'. Still waiting for an answer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard back from Marc. It is pretty much as has been said already, he is getting out of the lens repair business. His reasons are his own and I don't feel any need to go there.

He did tell me that there was nobody he could recommend to take his place. He didn't have an apprentice and his experience when sending cameras for repair (of course he did his own lenses) was never good.

It looks like I will have to be much more careful in my lens buying from here on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone here that can clean a Meyer Orestor 135mm f/2.8's aperture blades?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Steve, that's not very reassuring. Same here, it was nice counting on having anything short of scratches being able to be fixed.
I have anywhere 12 to 15 lenses that need TLC before I can resell them or use them. I just listed my last sellable lenses. I'll have to be careful not to keep adding too much onto that list before I find someone. It seems improbable to find anyone who could work on all of them anyway, and to search for individual lens cleaners...exasperation notion.
Woe is me, right? : )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
Dang Steve, that's not very reassuring. Same here, it was nice counting on having anything short of scratches being able to be fixed.
I have anywhere 12 to 15 lenses that need TLC before I can resell them or use them. I just listed my last sellable lenses. I'll have to be careful not to keep adding too much onto that list before I find someone. It seems improbable to find anyone who could work on all of them anyway, and to search for individual lens cleaners...exasperation notion.
Woe is me, right? : )

Depending on the lenses you have you might try checking at www.rangefinderforum.com. I have seen the question come up at times. It's an eclectic group, started up obviously for Rangefinder camera buffs but it has sub groups for almost every kind of camera ever marketed.

I expect that as I get desperate I will end up asking for help there. I am just glad I was able to get Marc to clean my Summitar and Sumicron before he decided to pack it up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky guy. I had a batch already packaged for him waiting for a month just to have to unpack them now. Primoplan, Xenon, Topcor, Trioplan, 2 Ultrons...you name it. I woulda loved to get that one more batch in.
I will definitely look into some references over there, thanks Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Is there anyone here that can clean a Meyer Orestor 135mm f/2.8's aperture blades?

I just cleaned mine along with reassembling them a couple days ago. The lens is pretty easy to take apart and if
you clean the blades without removing them it is not difficult. I have done that with other lenses and I was successful
in loosening them so all apertures were reachable. I followed some instructions I found on the internet. Mine is the
Pentacon preset version which I believe is the same as the Meyer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: LTM lens support Reply with quote

I haven't used these guys yet but they have been highly recommended for speed, quality, rates and communications.

They are limited to Leica and Leica clone equipment however.

http://www.yyecamera.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

I just cleaned mine along with reassembling them a couple days ago. The lens is pretty easy to take apart and if
you clean the blades without removing them it is not difficult. I have done that with other lenses and I was successful
in loosening them so all apertures were reachable. I followed some instructions I found on the internet. Mine is the
Pentacon preset version which I believe is the same as the Meyer.

Great! Can you share your instructions (videos and such)? If your Pentacon is the zebra version then it's the same Smile

Do you think this needs cleaning?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Great! Can you share your instructions (videos and such)? If your Pentacon is the zebra version then it's the same Smile
Do you think this needs cleaning?

Here are the instructions I followed. I did not disassemble mine are far as he did. Only enough to reposition and clean the blades.
I am not sure if yours needs to be cleaned. It is normal that there is oil on the blades for such an old lens. I would not clean mine unless the blades were sticky. I am not sure what others would do.
I believe these instructions will work with yours.