Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28mm for A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: 28mm for A7 Reply with quote

Request :

Not really overwhelmed by my new purchase (A7) : (The Sony Sony FE 28 mm F2 ) I want to ask the more sophisticated members
of the honorable society :

For landscapes :

SMC Pentax -K - 28mm F3.5 ? Anyone with some insights ?

Regards and thanks

Armin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus OM 28 1:3,5 would be my pick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olympus is an excellent choice. Really inexpensive (30USD) pretty sharp small and a pleasure to work with (as are most OM series lenses). Others to consider: Minolta, Konica, Canon FD. Or more money Zeiss distagon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 28mm for A7 Reply with quote

sch8mid wrote:
Request :
Not really overwhelmed by my new purchase (A7) : (The Sony Sony FE 28 mm F2 ) I want to ask the more sophisticated members of the honorable society :
For landscapes :
Regards and thanks
Armin

Well, I can offer an opinion from a ~less~ sophisticated member - The Pentax SMC K 28/3.5 is sublime (if just a bit slow). I would also highly recommend the Pentax SMC K 28/2, and the Vivitar 28/2 Close Focusing.

But there are other 28's that are great (and a zillion that are not so hot), and other, more sophisticated members will chime in...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Dan Euritt's comparisons of 28mm on Sony A7R here

http://www.codectest.com/2014/28mm-prime-lens-comparison-shot-on-sony-a7r-second-round

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC K 28\3.5 is great, both both the SMC K and Contax 28/2 are awesome.
I really like my Rokkor MC SI 28/2.5, it can have a yellowing issue, but I've never had a problem with it, and it can be cleaned up with uv light.
the Contax 28/2.8 is also a very good option.
One of the best 28's is the Leica R 28/2.8 version 2, the first version is much cheaper though it's not as stellar.
I was never really a fan of the OM 28

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be many good choices for a legacy 28mm - but what interests me is whether any will really be that much better than the Sony FE 28mm f2. It seems to have some good reviews. What is it that you do not like ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

http://www.codectest.com/2014/28mm-prime-lens-comparison-shot-on-sony-a7r-second-round

In that test the Olympus OM 28/3,5 is obviously a lemon, much sharper on the right side Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemeterfilms wrote:
There will be many good choices for a legacy 28mm - but what interests me is whether any will really be that much better than the Sony FE 28mm f2. It seems to have some good reviews. What is it that you do not like ?

Many thanks for all the suggestions

It came with my A7 and its my first AF lens since years. The FE 28 mm has immense barrel distorsion - I tried to create an own lens profile in LR , but that degrades resolution . The lens is clinical sharp in the centre , but not good in the corners. Lens has no soul at all and focus by wire is a real pain in the axx .
I am not very lucky.

Regards
Armin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only confirm what Lightshow wrote about the Pentax and the Rokkor.
About the FE 28 , you should find correction profiles , in LR for example.
I was thinking about buying this FE. What you write tend to freeze me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe there is no LR profile for the FE28! The barrel distortion is easily compensated in many lenses.

If you are picky, you won't be happy at 28 on the A7 without the Kolari sensor mod, in my opinion.

I was so frustrated by the issue in Jan 2014 on my A7, I gave up and bought a Leica M9, which completely killed the A7 at 28 and wider. I tried numerous lenses. Today there are options. The new 25 and 21 natives are very good, no mod needed. The Kolari mod will allow any SLR 28 and many RF 28s to perform near to how they do on film.

Before the mod my A7 mostly gathered dust as the M9 was producing so much better files, but after the mod, they are close, and I often use the A7 again. Smile

Last edited by uhoh7 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
If you are picky, you won't be happy at 28 on the A7 without the Kolari sensor mod, in my opinion.

I was so frustrated by the issue in Jan 2014 on my A7, I gave up and bought a Leica M9, which completely killed the A7 at 28 and wider. Today there are options. The new 25 and 21 natives are very good, no mod needed. The Kolari mod will allow any SLR 28 and many RF 28s to perform near to how they do on film.

Before the mod my A7 mostly gathered dust as the M9 was producing so much better files, but after the mod, they are close, and I often use the A7 again. Smile

Yes. Kolari mod is always in my mind .

Regards

Armin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 28mm for A7 Reply with quote

sch8mid wrote:
Request :

Not really overwhelmed by my new purchase (A7) : (The Sony Sony FE 28 mm F2 ) I want to ask the more sophisticated members
of the honorable society :

For landscapes :

Regards and thanks

Armin

I use 3 28mm on my a7 and a7r: pentax-takumar f/3.5, tokina f/2.8 and Leitz elmarit (f/2.8 as all the elmarit).
Very good for price the first 2 ones, but Leitz has better colours, resolution, corners quality.....
All the best,
Sandro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sch8mid wrote:
uhoh7 wrote:

I was so frustrated by the issue in Jan 2014 on my A7, I gave up and bought a Leica M9, which completely killed the A7 at 28 and wider. Today there are options. The new 25 and 21 natives are very good, no mod needed. The Kolari mod will allow any SLR 28 and many RF 28s to perform near to how they do on film.

Yes. Kolari mod is always in my mind .

Regards

Armin

I would ask over at the FM sony forum what people are doing to correct the FE 28, because many use it, and are good photographers. My version of LR does not have a profile, but I don't use 'cc'.

Ah, I see CC does have the profile:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3864271

I would try that before I bought a legacy 28. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

Just one caution here -- the Pentax 28/3.5 mentioned in this thread has been the 8-elements-in-7-groups K 28/3.5, while the lens tested by Dan Euritt is the 6-elements-in-6-groups M 28/3.5, so the M lens tested by Mr Euritt is (obviously) a different lens than the K lens mentioned in this thread. See:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more legacy 28mm options on the planet than the number of different camera models in the entire mirrorless camera kingdom. Variety of different answers you would receive will also reflect that. IMHO any 28mm at f11 will give decent quality for the landscape. If you are not planning to pay hundreds I suggest gping with a cheaper alternative and concentrate on eliminating flare, camera shake or digital "correction". I am afraid one of the curses of lens enthusiasm is that we nitpick about minute differences, which most of the time do not exist at all!

Of course I have my own candidate (!) but more for close or mid distances.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the FE 28mm f2 on the A7ii and it works fine with the lightroom profile. Distortion is marked without it, the lens is actually 26mm and built for either in camera software correction if you`re shooting jpeg or profile correction in RAW.

If money is no object you can try the newZeiss Batis 25mm f2, reviews suggest low distortion and top corner IQ. I`ve shot various MF 28mms on this and other Sony gear and the FE is a very good low light option compared to most of them , good flare control and excellent colours IMO, Minoltaesuqe ( as they should be!)

Corner performance seems to be variable and Sony have a bigger problem with sample variation in the new E mount models than they should have according to Lensrentals, I suspect it`s the rush to get as many new models on the market as they can. Mine is pretty good in the corners and outperforms my OM zuiko 28mm f2...but I like both for different reasons and the OM has more MF old style "character" but I can`t chase kids with it and the FE is better in certain situations where AF is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
I have the FE 28mm f2 on the A7ii and it works fine with the lightroom profile. Distortion is marked without it, the lens is actually 26mm and built for either in camera software correction if you`re shooting jpeg or profile correction in RAW.

Phillip Reeve has a good review and agrees with you.

http://phillipreeve.net/blog/sony-fe-28mm-2-what-we-know-so-far/

It's the sharpest 28 he has seen on the stock sony, and I know he has also tried numerous legacy 28s.

I agree the distortion uncorrected is squirm worthy. The Leica Q is the same way.

Now if you do the Kolari, the 28 summicron performs near to M240 level:

Welcome to Shoshone by unoh7, on Flickr

Rapunzel Lived Here by unoh7, on Flickr

Doors by unoh7, on Flickr

Red Curves by unoh7, on Flickr

I don't think there is a 28 on earth, excepting the new Otus, which will perform like this on any stock A7. The 28cron is a bit dear, but the CV 28/1.9 or 28/2 are both very good and offer the nice small form. Smile

crony by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive - would be a nice add to my 50/2 Summicron

I suggest the 28mm-R is no option ?

( I made a lensprofile for the FE 28mm in Lightroom , which works fine but may be I am too picky - its such a clinical lens and if you look at the marketplaces in
the big fora , a lot of people sell it after a short time).

I gonna keep it for a while trying to get used to it. Maybe its my fault.
Thanks for all the good and useful suggestions.

Best
Armin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony FE 28 on Sony A7ii

The profile can be found on updated Lightroom 6. I use Lightroom 5.7.1 and the profile for the FE28-70 lens is quite good for barrel correction.

Poor AF speed may depend on your camera rather than the lens. At 300€ (used) I find this lens a no brainer for 28mm length fans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice ! (and yes I use a slightly corrected 28-70 profile in LR 5.7)
AF is no problem , because I dont use it Smile

Regards
Armin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, look at that, very fine IQ from an A7 without the Kolari mod with a lens that didn't cost thousands. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, not encouraging about the sensor stack impeding the vintage 28mm lenses used with the A7.

Do the new II bodies continue to have this issue? Planning to get an A7ii as my next body. Hate to think my 28mm collection is useless.

I'm assuming the 5-axis IBIS for the a7ii and a7Rii wouldn't use a thick optical flat over the moving sensor. That would be unnecessary added mass to contend with.

BTW, that's a gorgeous shot, StyxD! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing it wouldn't make sense for the current leses, so the cover glass is still the same thickness (but better than the A7, which caused weird reflections from light sources)

Apart from rangefinder lenses it isn't a big issue and with aperture values over f/11 it is not that big of a deal with them either.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Hmmm, not encouraging about the sensor stack impeding the vintage 28mm lenses used with the A7.

Do the new II bodies continue to have this issue? Planning to get an A7ii as my next body. Hate to think my 28mm collection is useless.

I'm assuming the 5-axis IBIS for the a7ii and a7Rii wouldn't use a thick optical flat over the moving sensor. That would be unnecessary added mass to contend with.

BTW, that's a gorgeous shot, StyxD! Like 1 small

A7II is the same sensor as A7 with IBIS added.

Yes if you are really looking for high performance the FE 28 is the best there is at that FL for unmodified Sony.

So either you believe that Sony is the best 28 ever made, or you believe the extra thick cover glass does effect performance on film 28s. Smile

That's why the new Batis 21 and 25 are such a big deal. They can actually deliver across the frame like the Leica wides on a 240, or much closer anyway.

But plenty of people don't care. Which is fine. To pretend there is no issue is a bit much considering how much hand wringing has been posted by many shooters looking for great wides on the Sonys. Ignoring it seems strange to me on a site which closely examines lens performance. I guess people don't want to hear it. With the Kolari a $65 Kiron 28/2 shoots better than the Zeiss hollywood on the stock camera:

Kiron_28_2_f8 by unoh7, on Flickr

But it's a personal issue in the end. Your 28 collection may shoot well enough for you to be very satisfied with no mod. A number of members here, some who don't even have the camera, will tell you adamantly that's the case. Having shot both stock and modded cameras myself, I don't agree. Now I use the camera all the time, because it shoots so much nicer to my eye, and it seems logical to share this impression. Anyway, the Kolari mod seems to have the most effect on the a7 and a7II. The A7r retains color shifting, vignetting, and other idiosyncrasies, and already lacks an AA filter. The A7r2 is totally different, and may be fantastic with the mod. I've not seen samples yet.

The most versatile and highest performing legacy body today is simply to grab a used A7 for 600 or even less, mod it for 400, and for 1k you have really outstanding performance with most RF lenses, and all SLR lenses. The A7II would add IBIS, and another 4-500 USD to the equation with no improvement outside the shots where IBIS helps. The very sharpest shots will always be with IBIS off anyway. Smile

The a7.mod shoots so nice for me, I have no lust for the A7r2. I would not trade. Smile