Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minimal landscape contest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Minimal landscape contest Reply with quote

Would like to start an additional landscape contest - but in this case a landscape contest with minial content to show only colours and forms.

That means, no creatures (people, birds, horses, dogs, cats etc.) and no buildings or things made by humans (churchs, fences etc.)

Maximal 5 different elements (like sky, water, grass etc.) on the picture. Target is as described above to find only colours and forms in the landscape. I would recommend that AF lenses are allowed too.

Here a sample of what I mean.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here 2 other samples

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Minimal landscape contest Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Would like to start an additional landscape contest - but in this case a landscape contest with minial content to show only colours and forms.

National Geographic subscriber? Wink

I couldn't believe these were real photos when I flipped through the new issue earlier tonight.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/09/photo-journal/fredericks-photography

Here's one of mine I always liked. AF is fair game, so here's a sunny winter day as seen thru a Canon Powershot a530 P+S.

Now of course if I'd been standing beside the tree my shadow would have been in the shot, so I took a shot of the upside down shadow from the other side. I could never decide if I like the shot in it's original upside down version or this flipped version... Today the flipped one is my favorite, by a nose.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one, the bad weather lends it some atmospheric quality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Minimal landscape contest Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Rolf wrote:

National Geographic subscriber? Wink

I couldn't believe these were real photos when I flipped through the new issue earlier tonight.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/09/photo-journal/fredericks-photography

Here's one of mine I always liked. AF is fair game, so here's a sunny winter day as seen thru a Canon Powershot a530 P+S.

Now of course if I'd been standing beside the tree my shadow would have been in the shot, so I took a shot of the upside down shadow from the other side. I could never decide if I like the shot in it's original upside down version or this flipped version... Today the flipped one is my favorite, by a nose.

No, I did not see the images before but I bookmarked the link, so many thanks for the info. The images there shows perfect what I mean - on a master level of course.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've taken dozens of images of just snow. Depending on the weather we've had, snow can take many different textures. In the right light there are shadows and glint.

I recently went thru and pared them down to a few half decent ones. Here's my favorite.

Shot with a Canon Powershot a530 P+S digicam.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, Rolf. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots until now.

Here a new one taken few days ago with 1DsMkIII & EF 2.8/16-35mmL II at 35mm

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and another one

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second one is very good Rolf.

I shot one a similar theme I took, EOS-10D, Meyer Lydith 3.5/30, stitched panorama:

A more minimalist single frame shot at the same time, same lens and camera:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearwater Lake in Canada. 2005
Revuenon 1:1,2/50mm, Sigma SD10. Autostitch

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread !

here are my interpretations:

National Park "De Veeluwen", Netherlands

Partial solar eclipse, near Antwerp, Belgium

forms and structures in stone and water:

Cheeers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lots of good stuff here!
A couple from me Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias,
Rolf forgot to mention one important thing in this contest. It is open to every member around, except the authors of panoramas tutorials... Laughing

More seriously, your photos are stunning !
I like the second one very, very much. I stared at it a long time and appreciated the beautiful red tones and the vanish around the trees.
What a light !!!

Congrats my dear friend.

Else, speaking about panos. Did you publish your book ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tobias,
Rolf forgot to mention one important thing in this contest. It is open to every member around, except the authors of panoramas tutorials... Laughing

More seriously, your photos are stunning !
I like the second one very, very much. I stared at it a long time and appreciated the beautiful red tones and the vanish around the trees.
What a light !!!

Congrats my dear friend.

Else, speaking about panos. Did you publish your book ?

Many many thanks Olivier! About the book: no it's not but I am still working on it Wink ... when everything is on plan next spring will be the time ....

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my contributions Very Happy

Live together, die alone. by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Field of Beans by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the field of beans.

I ve tried something similar so many times, but never succesful.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is my effort...Flektogon 28/35 M42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a hot thread..which made me notice how little landscape photos I have,
one taken with a Konica Minolta A2

and from almost exactly the same spot but turned 90 degrees, 2 years later with a more friendly climate and a Auto Takumar f1.8/55mm on Pentax K-x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice shots here.

I like this type of landscape shots, it is he "Mater class" . It is an excellent way to train the eyes for light, colours, structures and forms.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, ladies and gents, I recall Rolf's rules for this contest. Very Happy
"landscape contest with minimal content to show only colours and forms.
That means, no creatures (people, birds, horses, dogs, cats etc.) and no buildings or things made by humans (churchs, fences etc.).
Maximal 5 different elements (like sky, water, grass etc.) on the picture."

But congrats for your fine pictures. Wink