Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

reverse lens FL inquiry.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: reverse lens FL inquiry. Reply with quote

I purchased a Schneider Componon S 180mm 5.6 to play around with and the only way I could mount it right away was reversed. I have ordered an adapter to fit the correct way but in the meantime I am using it reversed. My Sony a7Rii has steady shot which wants a FL input for the lens. Anybody know what the FL is in the reversed oreintation? Or how to calculate it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FL is the same, no matter the orientation!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
My Sony a7Rii has steady shot which wants a FL input for the lens.

For closer higher magnifications, steady shot setting should be increased imho.

Gerald wrote:

Quite true! Smile However, back focus can and often does change, hence the difference is focus distances.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: reverse lens FL inquiry. Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I purchased a Schneider Componon S 180mm 5.6 to play around with and the only way I could mount it right away was reversed. I have ordered an adapter to fit the correct way but in the meantime I am using it reversed. My Sony a7Rii has steady shot which wants a FL input for the lens. Anybody know what the FL is in the reversed oreintation? Or how to calculate it?

With a digital body like the A7Rii you don't have to worry about film cost, so I would suggest to experiment and try which FL works best at the magnification you are using the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Gerald wrote:

Quite true! Smile However, back focus can and often does change, hence the difference is focus distances.

For macro photography an IS system needs to be a 5-axis IBIS type to be effective. With a native lens, in addition to the information sent by the sensors (Yaw, Pitch, Roll, X and Y), the camera's computer knows the focal length AND focus distance. That is, the camera's computer has all the information it needs to do an excellent job of image stabilization.

Things get a little more complicated with an adapted lens. The photographer can manually enter the focal length, but not the focus distance. So, I believe that with adapted lenses, the IS system of existing cameras drops to 3-axis image stabilization mode, which works great for infinity shots, but not so well for macro photography.