Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 on Nikon D800
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-2 on Nikon D800 Reply with quote

My M42 - nikon adapter finally arrived.

I wanted to see that swirly effect on fullframe but no such luck today because of very flat light.

IMO this camera in combination with MF lenses is not userfriendly at all. Found it VERY hard to focus without peaking, and URGH no flippy screen.

Both at f2. DOF is tiny!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes time and practice to focus manually on a Nikon body (i have a D700), but it can be done, more effort than with a mirrorless for sure. Also, to get the swirls it takes the right combination of object to background distance (i have a Biotar 58/2 amongst other) and the right type of background, tree foliage for example. more than the right light.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second one is tree foliage, if the sun had shined on it or through it, I would have gotten my swirls. But it was cloudy and dark so I didn't have my needed reflections or light points. Our christmas tree is going up tomorrow, I am going to try that as a background ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ratio between subject and background distance isn't right for swirls. Around 3m subject distance (about 3/4 portrait) and 10-15m background distance, give or take, should give nice swirly bokeh. Light shouldn't matter that much. Mostly I think your subject is too small so you shot it from way too close.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it
Will try again
i am scared the back of the lens and my mirror will touch. I need to find in the menu where I can change the live view settings. Now the live view switches off after a small amount of time and the mirror comes down again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it s a lens that you have to "learn", some examples from me can be seen here:

http://www.pbase.com/tomasg_71/czj_biotar_582

and then there s the Helios 40:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ tomasg - thank you very much for those hints. I have not used my Helios 44-2 that much and this gives me some information about how to use it to its best advantage. Handsome young man you have there!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJB wrote:
^ tomasg - thank you very much for those hints. I have not used my Helios 44-2 that much and this gives me some information about how to use it to its best advantage. Handsome young man you have there!

You re welcome and thanx! Yes this would be a typical scenario for me using this lens, just experiment a bit with different distances.