Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 200mm f/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Takumar 200mm f/5.6 Reply with quote

How does this lens perform wide open and does it need to be stopped down for optimum performance?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion - excellent
At f/5.6 it out resolved my APS-C 16mp sensor so I can't say if it improves by stopping down.
It's a lovely, solid tiny thing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

being a bit of a Takumar lover, user and collector I have the lens since a while but because I usually don't use that long lenses have not been using it but recently, 2 shots taken on FF Sony A7 wide open. Ok, not many things in focus / sharp, but they might show it's sharpness nevertheless and that it goes all the way to the edges

Bamboo by Andreas, on Flickr

Bamboo by Andreas, on Flickr

( full sizes can be seen on flickr after clicking on images, click on arrow right lower corner, choose 'view all sizes' )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if it improves further at f/8, but it's definitely "good enough" at f/5.6.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very good lens, a bit slow if you like fast lenses, but the quality of the images makes that irrelevant really.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taken with 24 MP FF Sony A7 wide open

100% crops
near center

left adge

took similar frame @f8 and don't see any meaningful difference