Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your opinion sought: 17mm f4 Takumar vs. 17mm f4 Noritar
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Your opinion sought: 17mm f4 Takumar vs. 17mm f4 Noritar Reply with quote

Both are good lenses, I realize. Searched the internet for opinions comparing the two lenses. Goose-egg.

So came here to tap the source of all MF lens knowledge. Wink

Nota bene:

I'm already aware both of these lenses are of high quality. It's the A / B comparison for which I'm searching; one vs. the other . . . . . . . . comment on each individually, which is readily available, not so much.

If you own or have used both lenses: please share.

I own neither so far, and I'm trying to determine whether the Noritar would be worth the extra cost.


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Tokina 17/3.5, have you considered it?


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of Miranda 17mm f4. I don't care about it optically quality as I bought it for collection only. Wink

A modern 17mm will be much better than these old lenses if you need good sharpness on a high MP digital camera.


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare fisheye Takumar to rectilinear Noritar?


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noritar more of a collectors item, apparently impressive for the time and I've seen them go cheap at auctions occasionally.

I would look elsewhere if you're just wanting something to begin ultra-wide photography/videography with. Particularly the more modern coatings, the better.


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Compare fisheye Takumar to rectilinear Noritar?


Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takumar will be much wider because it is not rectilinearly corrected.

Fisheye vd Rectalinear (not these lenses)
https://www.uwphotographyguide.com/fisheye-lenses-underwater


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Tokina 17/3.5, Tamron SP 1:3.5 17mm 51B (with built-in filters) or 151B, are both rectilinear.

Last edited by visualopsins on Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Compare fisheye Takumar to rectilinear Noritar?

A case of two lenses that are beyond compare. Laugh 1


PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Takumar 17mm fisheye that I use on a Sony A7ii, it's cool for vintage looking photos, but a newer fisheye will be much sharper. My Tak also smears at the edges quite a bit.


PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Your opinion sought: 17mm f4 Takumar vs. 17mm f4 Norita Reply with quote

guardian wrote:


So came here to tap the source of all MF lens knowledge. Wink




D1N0 wrote:
The Takumar will be much wider because it is not rectilinearly corrected.

Fisheye vd Rectalinear (not these lenses)
https://www.uwphotographyguide.com/fisheye-lenses-underwater



Thank you, D1N0, for providing the assist I needed. And of course your help is doubly special because it was offered generously, without need on your part to highlight or make fun of my own shortcomings, now better understood thanks to you.

You are a good chap. And you have been instrumental in clearing up my confusion and helping me make my decision.

Much appreciated.


Friends


PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Your opinion sought: 17mm f4 Takumar vs. 17mm f4 Norita Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
guardian wrote:


So came here to tap the source of all MF lens knowledge. Wink




D1N0 wrote:
The Takumar will be much wider because it is not rectilinearly corrected.

Fisheye vd Rectalinear (not these lenses)
https://www.uwphotographyguide.com/fisheye-lenses-underwater



Thank you, D1N0, for providing the assist I needed. And of course your help is doubly special because it was offered generously, without need on your part to highlight or make fun of my own shortcomings, now better understood thanks to you.

You are a good chap. And you have been instrumental in clearing up my confusion and helping me make my decision.

Much appreciated.


Friends


Like 1 Like 1 Yeah, my comment question didn't go as planned. I meant no disrespect. Just seeking clarification.


PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Noritar for a while, it was OK but my Tokina was far better. And the Noritar didn't have any 'quality' about the images it produced that would have raised it from its mediocrity. Saying it was 'OK' is the highest compliment I could give it, but it did make me a very good profit when I sold it!