Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Tair 11 133mm F2.8
a lot of aperture blades by random dump, on Flickr

James Bond sprang to mind seeing that Aperture!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A realtively rare Minolta gem - the MD 17mm 1:4 in its "MD-I" incarnation! Found it yesterday in a local photo shop. Looks like new, absolutely stunning! The lens is obviously better than some claimed here Wink. Wide open (at f4) the corners are soft, but most of the image comes with high contrast and lots of detail even at f4.

At f8 - f16 there's plenty of details over the entire image field, even in the corners. Blueish-yellow lateral CAs may disturb, but only in high-contrast situations.

The second lens, bought a few weeks ago but gotten only today, is a Olympus Zuiko Auto-T 300mm 1:4.5, also in like-new condition. The previous owner, working for tourism in the St. Moritz area, had used it for decades in the mountains. I have lots of respect for these people who are so extremely careful with their equipment, even in harsh conditions.

I don't have an OLY=>Sony E adapter yet, so i can't comment on the Oly's performance Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
A realtively rare Minolta gem - the MD 17mm 1:4 in its "MD-I" incarnation!

Nice, congrats! A 17mm Minolta lens is still on my wish list, it's missing in my collection. I'm looking forward to see some of your real-life pictures made with it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
stevemark wrote:
A realtively rare Minolta gem - the MD 17mm 1:4 in its "MD-I" incarnation!

Nice, congrats! A 17mm Minolta lens is still on my wish list,

To be honest: It was not really on my wishlist - in fact it's the first one i've ever seen here in Switzerland - but when i saw it i couldn't resist ... Nice lens, physically (size/weight) not as imperssive as the MC-X 2.8/21mm, but obviously with a decent image quality. Should be interesting to compare it to the Sony Zeiss ZA 2.8/16-35mm! And to the Tokina 3.5/17mm, maybe. I'm not so much into 17mm/18mm lenses; so i have neither the Canon FD 4/17mm nor the Nikkors nor the Distagon 4/18mm.

TrueLoveOne wrote:
it's missing in my collection.

That's apoint, of course Wink

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I'm looking forward to see some of your real-life pictures made with it!

I'll keep in my bag this week, together with the Canon TS-E 4/17mm L. Samples will follow.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Hmmm I think I'm getting too much attention. First off, there are no bargains (whatever that means), just a series of good combined well-handled purchases of below average, but not miraclous, market value (usual situation). No (black) magic involved. I just never hesitate twice on a good deal.

I think I might have paid around €3,800 incl. all expenses, and including both Planars and Apo Lanthar. So no bargains.

Second, it is unlikely to keep majority of them. In fact, in a year all items but Apo Lanthar may be gone. It will be picked one after another by many friends/photographers around me, or friends of my friends.

Third, the lot is not that big (in fact, there are another 10-15 this week's lenses I haven't posted), and the pic of many black telephotos is basically full of cheap rubbish. I think twice as many lenses was waiting for me home when I went back from the Phils in February, I just didn't post about. Those who have my FB probably remember.

marcusBMG, I am yet to find out Smile You interested? It's 99% sure these long lenses will be CLAed - and sold.

For those who find me guilty of lensdiction Very Happy I might be. But as long as it doesn't represent a threat for my wallet I couldn't care less. I am however happy some of you just racionalized your recent purchases when compared to me and now may breath or sleep easily Whoo Turtle

Last but not least, I am single thus may not be divorced or split to end up under the bridge!

Anyway, there is so many people with so bigger gear that I will always feel like a small potatoe Smile - Attila, Luis and two Klauses to name a few Very Happy

Hi!
I quoted all your post cause it's an interesting one.
It made me think about myself, and my lens craze.
It made me reflect also about differences. On this forum we like the same things, after all, but what we like, what we buy, the way we do it, all is so... personal.
Even the way we enjoy our treasured glasses is different. For example i "collect" large format lenses, mostly Petzvals, Soft Focus and Portrait, but i like to think that i am a "user", not a collector, of any lens that can be used (as is or adapted) on a digital Pentax camera.

Of course i envy your nice Apo Lanthar. I'd be happy to own one Smile
Though what i really envy are two other things:
I get you have your lenses with you, while i live most of the time in Thailand, and every time i come here i am limited to a few vintage objectives that overfill my cabin luggage.
Second, it seems you have friends/acquaintances who share your love for vintage glasses. I know one, and his tastes are diametrically different.
If i decide to sell a lens, i don't know anybody who could be interested, and the perspective of selling on Ebay isn't exactly my idea of fun... so in the end i've amassed more than 500 (no idea about the real number).
I tried to sell at least the duplicates, so far with scarce success. This marks another difference.
You seem to get into burst purchases, when the right chance materializes, while i buy a lens almost each week. Another interesting difference.

It is a fascinating matter.
Why we like what we like, and why we choose to do it the peculiar way we do?
Of course there is no simple answer, but i find it very interesting.

BTW, i'm happily shooting with a few recent acquisitions/conversions: an old Trioplan N 100mm converted to PK, and a leitaxed Summicron M Canada 90mm.
I love both.
My wife will come soon with a newly purchased Auto Takumar f/1.8 85mm that she's bringing from the States (it could not be shipped abroad).
You see, wives can be useful Smile Smile

cheers

Paolo

P.S.
Here is the wonder couple, bubble bokeh & smooth bokeh. I think i'm done with the mod to M42/PK of a Trioplan f/2,9 50mm (originally for Altix), tomorrow it will see some action on the K-1 Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled upon this oddity, i had never seen one before: the Vivitar 17-28mm wide-angle zoom. It's made by Samyang (61xxx serial) so i wondered if anybody knows if this is exactly the same lens as the Samyang/Centon/Phoenix 18-28mm?? I'd say yes, the difference of 17 and 18 is simply marketing, but i can't find any confirmation.

Vivitar 17-28mm by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is interesting.
How does it perform?
Thanks for sharing this
T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Kipronar 165mm 1:1.9

And a Mamiya Soft Focus for my Mamiya 645:

Both lenses haven't yet arrived - so no test images and no comments possible Wink

Both lenses should be fun, though Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rare (unknown) Tair-3N 300/4.5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Now that is interesting.
How does it perform?
Thanks for sharing this
T

I'll upload some samples in a new topic as soon as i get some time for it! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optik 3,5-4,8/35-70 macro Reply with quote

Relatively rare lens made by Meyer-Optik which became once again independent from PENTACON after German unification.
223g, MFD = 0.8m, PB-mount (100 made), macro goes 1:3 at 70mm end ..... (Btw, M42 mount ones were made only 50.)

with Praktica BCX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Good Will store. Minolta MD mount, very clean.

[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer-Optik 3,5-4,8/35-70 macro Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Relatively rare lens made by Meyer-Optik which became once again independent from PENTACON after German unification.
223g, MFD = 0.8m, PB-mount (100 made), macro goes 1:3 at 70mm end ..... (Btw, M42 mount ones were made only 50.)

I'm pretty sure that is a Cosina lens, these come in many brands. But i have never seen a Meyer branded one before! Nice find!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer-Optik 3,5-4,8/35-70 macro Reply with quote

koji wrote:

Looks a lot like the Canon FD 35-70

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdzooms/FD3570mmf3545_E.JPG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your information, TrueLoveOne and Oldhand. I can believe the lens was Canon's OEM product, but not too bad lens.

Some examples @f4.8 & 70mm end (with a7RII):

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Thanks for your information, TrueLoveOne and Oldhand. I can believe the lens was Canon's OEM product, but not too bad lens.

It's not a Canon lens, those little Cosina zooms aren't bad at all. That f/4.8 number is typical for the Cosina design, why would they put 4.8 on it if it were a Canon made lens which is f/4.5? Your Meyer lens was also sold as Vivitar with serial numbers starting with 9, which reveals the manufacturer as Cosina.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
koji wrote:

It's not a Canon lens, those little Cosina zooms aren't bad at all. That f/4.8 number is typical for the Cosina design, why would they put 4.8 on it if it were a Canon made lens which is f/4.5? Your Meyer lens was also sold as Vivitar with serial numbers starting with 9, which reveals the manufacturer as Cosina.

That's was my silly mistake, Cosina's OEM is right. Canon does not have to do OEM business.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am sure that Canon did not make the lens, I was simply pointing out that it resembled the Canon.
I should have been more clear.
Very nice results by the way.
Well done
T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions: Cosina is a Japanese company, correct? Then why does the lens say it's made in Germany? Might it not actually indeed be made by Meyer OPtik?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Questions: Cosina is a Japanese company, correct? Then why does the lens say it's made in Germany? Might it not actually indeed be made by Meyer OPtik?

Nope, look at the box. It's printed "made in Germany", the lens type is a sticker that they put on later. Those boxes must have been left-overs from something else. I wouldn't be surprised if the lens does not have any "made in" inscription.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Nope, look at the box. It's printed "made in Germany", the lens type is a sticker that they put on later. Those boxes must have been left-overs from something else. I wouldn't be surprised if the lens does not have any "made in" inscription.

The lens does have a big "Made in Germany" inscription.
I don't know the German rules that had to be fulfilled back in the early 1990s, to get the "Made in Germany". They may have been not very strict.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

The lens does have a big "Made in Germany" inscription.
I don't know the German rules that had to be fulfilled back in the early 1990s, to get the "Made in Germany". They may have been not very strict.

Stephan

Yes, on the front ring, but these are easy to exchange and that is often the only difference between all of these different brands. I meant a real inscription on the lens itself.
Isn't it a double front ring by chance? On the picture it looks as if it's quite high, with some space underneath it. Maybe there's another one under it? This happened in the past as well, when the Zeiss name had to be removed.

Double identity by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm f2.8 CZJ Tessar in Altix mount. Adapter by Ramir at Rare Adapters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recent stuff