Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's what a factory conversion aperture ring looks like.
My 85mm f1.8 had cross point screws.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Factory A/I conversion shown above.
I remember the "K" conversion 85mm f1.8 being sold new with this kit installed.

-D.S.

Interesting - I didn't know that. I have one of those Nikkor "K" 1.8/85mm lenses with said aperture ring kit.

S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
pics
There's what a factory conversion aperture ring looks like.
-D.S.

Thank you! Yes, thank you very much!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 135mm 1:2 AiS arrived yesterday. Helicoid is a bit stiff, but on the tolerable side. Short and stocky, but well balanced with the adapter on the Sony. First tests indicate, this could become a close friendship.

Comparable in size with the Series 1 Vivitar 135mm f2.3, but heavier.

And of course it dwarfes the Zuiko 135mm f2.8

Some test images. The usual set of flowers and my garden railway under renovation Mr. Green
Btw, those downsized images lose a lot of their original sharpness. A pity...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens and images.

Like 1 Like 1

I have yet to see one with a reasonable price tag.
Would be interesting to see how one behaves without an adapter e/g: a nikon body of some sort.
I like the last 2 frames- a bit of story telling with the umbrella.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Like 1 small

I'm sure you will come to like it a lot.

I have an equivalent Minolta MD-III 135/2 which is one of my favourite focal length / speed combos. Very versatile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
The Nikkor 135mm 1:2 AiS arrived yesterday. ...
Short and stocky, but well balanced with the adapter on the Sony. First tests indicate, this could become a close friendship.

Yep, the Nikkor AiS 2/135mm is a nice piece of glass indeed. A bit on the heavy side and, as you say, prone to stiff focusing.

Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

About seven years ago - when I bought my own copy - they went for 350-400 CHF here in Switzerland

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Nice one! Like 1 small
I have an equivalent Minolta MD-III 135/2 which is one of my favourite focal length / speed combos. Very versatile.

The three classical 2/135mm from CaMiNi are very similar in their preformance (tested sied-by-side). Bokeh of the three lenses is indistinguishable.
The nFD 2/135mm is the easiest to work with (smooth focusing, less weight). The Nikkor is the heaviest, the Minolta has slighty better corners wide open
(Canon and Nikkor nearly identical). For quite some time the Minolta was the most expensive, but it seems the Canon now also has a rather steep price tag ...

I was lucky to get those lenses long time ago (nFD 2/135mm for CHF 127.-- and CHF 150.--, Minolta MD 2/135mm for 150.-- and 450.--, and Nikkor for about 350.--).
These days I wouldn't buy them any more - especially since much better 2/135mm or 1.8/135mm are available for less, eg a used Zeiss / Sony ZA 1.8/135mm.

S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 135mm 1:2 AiS arrived yesterday.

Someone at Nikon plant decided to cut part of 180/2.8 away and it worked. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Nice lens and images.

Like 1 Like 1

Would be interesting to see how one behaves without an adapter e/g: a nikon body of some sort.
I like the last 2 frames- a bit of story telling with the umbrella.

-D.S.

I think the reasonable price tag times are gone for good. Lucky those folks who started buying long before the hype. However, that with the Nikon body - yes, it might take me some months from now, but sooner or later... Wink

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Nice one! Like 1 small

I was lucky I guess. The scratches on the sun shade and the rather stiff going focusing might have had an influence on the price, but the glass is in top condition. Yes, I like it already Smile

stevemark wrote:

About seven years ago - when I bought my own copy - they went for 350-400 CHF here in Switzerland

The three classical 2/135mm from CaMiNi are very similar in their preformance (tested sied-by-side). Bokeh of the three lenses is indistinguishable.
The nFD 2/135mm is the easiest to work with (smooth focusing, less weight). The Nikkor is the heaviest, the Minolta has slighty better corners wide open
(Canon and Nikkor nearly identical). For quite some time the Minolta was the most expensive, but it seems the Canon now also has a rather steep price tag ...

I was lucky to get those lenses long time ago (nFD 2/135mm for CHF 127.-- and CHF 150.--, Minolta MD 2/135mm for 150.-- and 450.--, and Nikkor for about 350.--).
These days I wouldn't buy them any more - especially since much better 2/135mm or 1.8/135mm are available for less, eg a used Zeiss / Sony ZA 1.8/135mm.

S

Stefan, your collection seems not much to lack. Enviable Wink
As I said, lucky those guys who started collecting before the hype.

kansalliskala wrote:
Someone at Nikon plant decided to cut part of 180/2.8 away and it worked. Very Happy

Put the Vivitar Series 1 200mm f3 and the 135mm f2.3 next to each other - they had this idea already ten years earlier, but hid it better by cone shaping the barrels Mr. Green

Thanks for your supportive comments. This thing will be fun for long time to come.

Kind Regards, Gerhard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received this today. My dream Steinheil 50mm. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan, your collection seems not much to lack. Enviable Wink

As I said, lucky those guys who started collecting before the hype.
Kind Regards, Gerhard

Yeah - originally I started with the MC-X/MD-I series of Minolta Rokkors - later to be expanded to all SLR Rokkors.
At some point the missing Rokkor lenses became too expensive - and since there was plenty of cheap and interesting stuff available
from other manufacturers, I started to buy CaKoniNikon as well. Pentax and Oly are pretty scarce here, but surprisingly I got also lots
of interesting Mamyia lenses. And Yashica stuff and Topcors ... whatever was available at a reasonable price (usually more things
available locally than I could afford ...). TamTok lenses usually came for next to nothing - even a Tamron SP 200-500mm was only 80 CHF ...

There were two photo shops in Bern and Luzern as well which were very helpful: They both often set aside some interesting lenses for me.
Sadly both stores had to close during the pandemic - and they'll not re-open.

My main reason to collect different brands was to be able to counter "fanboy-ism" which was really prevalent around 2010.
Comparing similar vintage MF lenses from all major manufacturers was pretty unheard of back then ...Wink

S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Is that a paxette lens? Whatever it is, I'm jealous...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Is that a paxette lens? Whatever it is, I'm jealous...

It is not made for the Braun Paxette camera. You can see it focus down to 0.6 meter while the Paxette 50mm lens will only focus down to 1 meter. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

It is not made for the Braun Paxette camera. You can see it focus down to 0.6 meter while the Paxette 50mm lens will only focus down to 1 meter. Wink

Nice lens. I think that its real designation is not really known until now. The original Leica LTM version has no protruding rear, can be directly mounted on screw mount Leicas and it also focuses down up to 0.6 m. Some discussion was already here: http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-mnchen-quinon-50mm-f2-t80865.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max78 wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Nice lens. I think that its real designation is not really known until now. The original Leica LTM version has no protruding rear, can be directly mounted on screw mount Leicas and it also focuses down up to 0.6 m. Some discussion was already here: http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-mnchen-quinon-50mm-f2-t80865.html

I believe it has suken mount which made for use on bellows.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

I think the reasonable price tag times are gone for good. Lucky those folks who started buying long before the hype.

The price tag on the 135 f/2 Nikkor was what made me decide to get an Apo Sonnar 135 f/2. In the end it wasn't much more expensive.

The 135 f/2 DC Nikkor should also be considered. The manual focus ability of the D-series lenses is just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Rokkor MC-X 100mm f/2.5 (in later 5/5 configuration).
I recently sold my New MD 100/2.5 because I like more the build quality of the older versions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I recently sold my New MD 100/2.5 because I like more the build quality of the older versions.

Make sure you get a good deep hood for it. All MC and MD I/II versions of the Rokkor 100/2.5 are quite prone to flare and a good deep hood is really compulsory with this lens. The New MD-III version is (or was Wink ) a bit more convenient here with its built-in unusual 2-section telescopic hood.

The original hood (55mm thread) is 45mm deep and 68mm diameter (internal, front)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

That's one of the 2.5/100mm Minolta lenses I'm still missing.
I have the MC-I, the MC-II, the MC-X [6L], the MD-II and the MD-III (= new MD), but not the MC-X [5L] which well may be the best to use: MC-X lens barrels usually are the nicest, and the [5L] is better than the earlier [6L].

caspert79 wrote:

My MD-III seems to be a tad sharper than my MD-II copy (pixel peeping really). Probably copy variation or maybe better quality control for the later MD-III.

S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of lenses including a Sigma xq 100/2.8 macro. Have already had a copy with haze on rear element. Will see how this one goes. Mostly the same.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

That's one of the 2.5/100mm Minolta lenses I'm still missing.
I have the MC-I, the MC-II, the MC-X [6L], the MD-II and the MD-III (= new MD), but not the MC-X [5L] which well may be the best to use: MC-X lens barrels usually are the nicest, and the [5L] is better than the earlier [6L].

caspert79 wrote:

My MD-III seems to be a tad sharper than my MD-II copy (pixel peeping really). Probably copy variation or maybe better quality control for the later MD-III.

S

What's the difference between md-x 5L (55mm) 1meter and mc-x 5/5? Except build quality of course?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

What version was your MD you've sold? Mine one, the MD-1 (I guess: 5L , 1meter and 55mm) i consider it's got a good build quality, except the grease that's got a bit strong (more than the MC Minolta's ,that are super nice over the years).
On the other hand , would the screwing hood of the MD-1 fitt the MC-X version 55mm?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
What's the difference between md-x 5L (55mm) 1meter and mc-x 5/5? Except build quality of course?

On my copies of those two lenses (MD-I vs MC-X, there exists no "MD-X" collectors classification AFAIK) I cannot see any difference other than the obvious cosmetic ones. Both still full metal, both identical build quality as far as I can tell. Even the coatings look the same. I'm not going to take the backs off (again), but I suspect that even the aperture actuation mechanism is still the same, although Minolta did simplify the aperture mechanisms of their lenses over time to reduce the moving mass and overshoot.

kiddo wrote:
... Mine one, the MD-1 (I guess: 5L , 1meter and 55mm) i consider it's got a good build quality, except the grease that's got a bit strong (more than the MC Minolta's ,that are super nice over the years).

MC-X minolta lenses with their "super nice" focusing feel so because of the molybdenum disulfide dry-lube residue that is still coating the helicoid threads. In truth, an MC-X lens would have had stiffer focussing when new whilst the base oil had not yet separated out. Earlier MC lenses (and AUTO-ROKKORs) did not have the molybdenum disulfide dry-lube additive and if never serviced can now feel a bit more loose-yet-sticky when focusing as they rely only on a remaining layer of (likely lithium stearate) soap thickener.

kiddo wrote:
On the other hand , would the screwing hood of the MD-1 fitt the MC-X version 55mm?

Absolutely. I have both hoods and they are identical apart from the engraved designation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, thank you for your information, in fact ,there is still not a single place to find the whole different details between different versions.
Can we assume that even though smooth to shoot, mc full metal are more prone to have sticky blades/aperture because of the deteriorating grease ? My only full metal that haven't suffered of it yet, is the early 35mm 1.8. I might be wrong though.
To be honest ,for portraits ,this MD-X version i consider too sharp WO, for everything else might be my first choice, of course it depends what is one looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Can we assume that even though smooth to shoot, mc full metal are more prone to have sticky blades/aperture because of the deteriorating grease ?

Not necessarily.

MC lenses are certainly older, so they have had more time for the oil to find its way to the aperture.

A lot also depends on how the aperture assembly is mounted relative to the helicoid assembly. If the path from the helicoid threads to the aperture assembly is short, then it is more likely that oil will find its way onto the blades. The surface energy of the metal components used are high, so oil quite readily migrates along its surface.

Then there are also the usage/storage conditions. Some oil reaches the aperture not by diffusion/creep alone; evaporation and subsequent condensation of the oil is also a factor.

On some lenses Minolta used an oil barrier film (Emralon 325; they call it an "anti-diffusion compound" in their service manual. No longer made and likely a fluorocarbon compound, something like NyeBar from Nye lubricants would likely be a modern alternative). Those lenses are usually OK as far as aperture is concerned. The ROKKOR MC/MD 24mm/2.8 is one of those, for example.