Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Asahi Opt. Co., Japan Takumar 1:4 f=35mm from last batch in 1964 of model introduced in 1957 -- Asahi's first wide-angle 35mm retro-focus lens.

https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--4--35-329.html

Really cool lens, congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinon-TV 1.7/35, already have several copies, but somehow acquired another one. It has a lot of character but medium to low contrast. Sharp as a stick in the eye though. Just and so covers the M4/3 sensor.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Asahi Opt. Co., Japan Takumar 1:4 f=35mm from last batch in 1964 of model introduced in 1957 -- Asahi's first wide-angle 35mm retro-focus lens.

Interestingly sources disagree on the number of elements. Gerjan van Oosten says 4, Takumarguide.Weebly says 5 Pentaxforums says 4 but with a note some say 5. It all depends on whether the rear element is a doublet or not.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Interestingly sources disagree on the number of elements. Gerjan van Oosten says 4, Takumarguide.Weebly says 5 Pentaxforums says 4 but with a note some say 5. It all depends on whether the rear element is a doublet or not.

There is a diagram here which lists a 4 element version - http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Pentax_Takumar_e.html

You can see there is confusion over the element count.

There are, imo, two different optical designs for this lens, the one with more elements likely introduced after. The curvature on the front element is very different on the 5 element one.

Here is the 5 element one in my copy of "How to operate your Asahi Pentax H-2"

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Today I was in town, looking through the stuff at the flea market - not a single camera, let alone an interesting lens! Mainly women, and cloths / shoes, though. So I decided to walk over to the only remaining photo store in town. And what did I find there? Hidden behind a few old Nikkors there was a small label saying "Minolta MD 17mm CHF 99.--". I couldn't see the lens that well, but judging from the price it probably would be a Tokina 17mm with Minolta MD mount, I thought. Nevertheless I went in, asking to have a look at the lens. I was shown a real and proper Minolta MD 4/17mm - and even the most rare MD-III version! Well, I couldn't believe it ...
S

That is a very good find!! Congrats

Unusual for a proper photo store; they must have been unaware of its rarity (MD-III) and market value:

a) hiding it behind some old Nikkors!?
b) pricing it that low!!??

Today I've been asking the responsible person at the photo store about his pricing of the MD 4/17mm (he hadn't been around when I was buying the lens). As he is very knowledgeable about old stuff, I assumed he was well aware of the real value of the MD 4/17mm. Long story short: One of his long-standing customers had given him some nice old Minolta equipment for free (among them the 4/17mm), asking the shopkeeper "to give it to the right person" and "to please someone". So the shopkeeper hid the lens behind some Nikkors (to make sure only "the right person" would discover it), and set a "fair price" (to please someone ...).

That's how things work surprisingly often here in Switzerland.

And of course the story goes on. Today I was on the local flea market (no success, again), but then went to see the seller of the above MD 4/17mm. Smiling and grinning, he put some "Minolta" boxes on the shelf, telling me that he had put this stuff aside for me. Basically an Minolta Bellows III with tilt and shift functionality, the focusing rail, the slide copy stand, the Minolta macro flash unit, and quite a few rarely seen additional accessories.

I was offered the set for free (not including the lenses), I offered to pay CHF 100.--, and finally we settled at CHF 60.-- Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

There is a diagram here which lists a 4 element version - http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Pentax_Takumar_e.html

There are, imo, two different optical designs for this lens, the one with more elements likely introduced after. The curvature on the front element is very different on the 5 element one.

The curvature in both images looks pretty similar to me. Here is my Super-Takumar 35mm 1:3.5 which is 5 element and has a similar diagram.

Pentaxforums

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

I was offered the set for free (not including the lenses), I offered to pay CHF 100.--, and finally we settled at CHF 60.-- Wink

S

What happened was the embodiment of the law of kamma-phāla that the Buddha taught---good fruits are born from good deeds and vice versa, and you reap what you sow. You were the right one to receive the gift for your excellent contribution to the community of Minolta-loving sentient beings. Yours truly for one have benefitted from the work you've done on the artaphot.ch site. It's been helping me a lot. Please allow me to express my gratitude to you! 🙏

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="D1N0"]
eggplant wrote:

The curvature in both images looks pretty similar to me. Here is my Super-Takumar 35mm 1:3.5 which is 5 element and has a similar diagram.

Pentaxforums

I meant comparing the 5 element one to the 4 element one.

Of course, more elements does mean a completely different design already (unless there's an error), but it sounded like deciding whether it was 4 or 5 was due to an expectation of there being only one model, when really there are two seperate models.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="eggplant"]
D1N0 wrote:
eggplant wrote:

Pentaxforums

Of course, more elements does mean a completely different design already (unless there's an error), but it sounded like deciding whether it was 4 or 5 was due to an expectation of there being only one model, when really there are two seperate models.

Not according too Gerjan van Oosten who says the wrong diagram was used in much of Asahi Optical literature.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time since I've gotten any new glass (that's worth mentioning at least).

Snagged a deal on this one, and pleased to add it to my Canon collection. Not a lot of info on this lens floating around, it seems. Was surprised to see it's unlisted on the Canon Classics site. A pretty thorough search turns up an old blog post or two but that's it.

Anyone have any firsthand info/experiences with it?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ttartisans 11mm f2.8 fisheye. Looks fun so far, pics incoming.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hapgood wrote:
Anyone have any firsthand info/experiences with it?

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/nfd219.html

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar (Komine) 35-70mm f2.8-3.8.
The body tube is marked N-AI-S, so manufacture date should be close to '80.
I have not been able to determine the purpose of the green line on it.
It may have something to do with Canon type program mode perhaps?

Seems to be fairly clear.
Not very sharp until f4.
I need to give it a proper test run in the coming days.
35mm seems to be a bit of a hole for me.
From a flea market.
Vendor also had a Soligor 28mm f2.8 that I passed on.
I think I now have 5 or 6 different 28's, and they simply do not get used.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Today I've been asking the responsible person at the photo store about his pricing of the MD 4/17mm (he hadn't been around when I was buying the lens). As he is very knowledgeable about old stuff, I assumed he was well aware of the real value of the MD 4/17mm. Long story short: One of his long-standing customers had given him some nice old Minolta equipment for free (among them the 4/17mm), asking the shopkeeper "to give it to the right person" and "to please someone". So the shopkeeper hid the lens behind some Nikkors (to make sure only "the right person" would discover it), and set a "fair price" (to please someone ...).

And of course the story goes on. Today I was on the local flea market (no success, again), but then went to see the seller of the above MD 4/17mm. Smiling and grinning, he put some "Minolta" boxes on the shelf, telling me that he had put this stuff aside for me. Basically an Minolta Bellows III with tilt and shift functionality, the focusing rail, the slide copy stand, the Minolta macro flash unit, and quite a few rarely seen additional accessories.

S

I'm moving to Switzerland.

Joking aside, I know exactly where the seller was coming from. Sometimes it is just more satisfying to know things you treasured yourself end up with a new owner who will equally appreciate their value and enjoy using them.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Canon 7s rangefinder outfit yesterday, which included the 50mm f/1.2 ltm optic. Woot! Pics to follow.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

I have not been able to determine the purpose of the green line on it.
It may have something to do with Canon type program mode perhaps?

The green mark gives you the aperture setting at 70mm, also marked in green. The red dot is for 35mm, which is marked red as well. The focal lengths in between those marks will be correspondingly somewhere between the two marked aperture readings.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

The green mark gives you the aperture setting at 70mm, also marked in green. The red dot is for 35mm, which is marked red as well. The focal lengths in between those marks will be correspondingly somewhere between the two marked aperture readings.

Thanks for the information!
Makes a bit of sense too....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I bought a Canon 7s rangefinder outfit yesterday, which included the 50mm f/1.2 ltm optic. Woot! Pics to follow.

Congratulation! That's a nice outfit for sure, and I'm looking forward to see a few images of camera and lens ...!
These rangefinders (both the Canon as well as the Nikon ones) are pretty scarce here in Switzerland. In the 1950s by far most rangefinders
sold here were Leicas or Contaxes. Germany was (and is) our neighbor, and Japan was far, far away back then ... Only in the 1960s
the import of Japanese cameras was starting - mostly SLRs of course, since that was where the Japanese were excelling. If someone here
was to buy a rangefinder in the 1960s, he most probably would still get a German one.

S

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, these are quick and dirty pics of my new Canon ltm 50mm f/1.2 and the 7s camera. I haven't cleaned either yet, so they're looking pretty grungy in the photos.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Okay, these are quick and dirty pics of my new Canon ltm 50mm f/1.2 and the 7s camera. I haven't cleaned either yet, so they're looking pretty grungy in the photos.

I got sort of a soft spot for those, even though I have never owned one.
Probably has something to do with the pricing on the "S" series.
They handle nice, and if they are working right, the rangefinder is surprisingly fast.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Thanks for the images! The way the camera looks like reminds me of one guy in our local photo store, who was always cleaning and polishing old stuff when no customer was at the shop. Once he had finished cleaning an item it looked irresistible Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Today I was in town, looking through the stuff at the flea market - not a single camera, let alone an interesting lens! Mainly women, and cloths / shoes, though. So I decided to walk over to the only remaining photo store in town. And what did I find there? Hidden behind a few old Nikkors there was a small label saying "Minolta MD 17mm CHF 99.--". I couldn't see the lens that well, but judging from the price it probably would be a Tokina 17mm with Minolta MD mount, I thought. Nevertheless I went in, asking to have a look at the lens. I was shown a real and proper Minolta MD 4/17mm - and even the most rare MD-III version! Well, I couldn't believe it ...
S

That is a very good find!! Congrats

Unusual for a proper photo store; they must have been unaware of its rarity (MD-III) and market value:

a) hiding it behind some old Nikkors!?
b) pricing it that low!!??

S

Nice story and well deserved gift. Like 1

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="D1N0"]
eggplant wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
eggplant wrote:

Pentaxforums

Not according too Gerjan van Oosten who says the wrong diagram was used in much of Asahi Optical literature.

Gerjan even included the wrong diagram in the first edition of his own book(!). The second edition shows the correct 4 element diagram.

The rear element of my copy produced during the last batch according to serial number list at https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--4--35-329.html is mounted in a ring -- the element cannot be removed to see the edge, however the element is thin -- about 1.5-2mm -- and there are no reflections when strong light is shined inside. The entire lens reflections from the front count is 4. Thus almost certainly there is only one version, with 4 elements in 4 groups.

My late copy has 15 diopter front element -- maybe somebody with an early copy of the lens can measure theirs to confirm no optics changes during production.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first coupled extension tube set.
Now I can stop down without having to do the stop-down metering required on my very old non-coupled set.

Body tube seems to be composite fibre plastic.
It even has coupling for the old screw-drive a/f lenses.

At 1:2 with the 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor P.C. at f 3.5.

At 1:1 with the above lens and wide open again.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be a busy weekend Very Happy

[/code]