Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Jena Contax Sonnar 1.5/50 1937 Uncoated Reply with quote

I saw this lens on Ebay, with a Contax III rear lens cap, at an asking price of $85.00.

The glass is flawless and the aperture works smoothly. I sent it to my preferred repairman, Clarence Gass, to see if the filter ring could be bent back. It turns out it could but the thin, hardened brass at the lip of the lens tore in the process. Clarence mounted a Series VI filter ring to the lens to strengthen the lip. The job cost $30.

Not a bad lens for $115.00 and I put the camera on sale on Ebay for parts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a batch with an Edixa Mat B-L :
- Enna München Tele-Ennalyt 2.8/90mm in its plastic clearbox
- Enna München Tele-Ennalyt 4.5/240mm also its plastic clearbox
- Yashica Auto Yashinon DS-M 1.7/50mm

and
- Bronica Zenzanon 4/40mm MC
- Bronica Zenzanon 3.5/150mm MC

But the most recent lens I bought was a Kaxinda 1.7/35mm for my Fuji X-E1.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some really nice lenses listed here! The latest lens I bought was also for my XE-1,the XF 18/2. I do hope it arrives by the end of the week...I hate waiting Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Jupiter 12 35mm f2.8 on the way for the Leica M9. I just discovered that due to the protruding rear element it won't fit on the Fuji cameras.

Last edited by rybolt on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
there are some really nice lenses listed here! The latest lens I bought was also for my XE-1,the XF 18/2. I do hope it arrives by the end of the week...I hate waiting Very Happy

I think that you will be very pleased Mo.
It gets good reviews.
Would love to see some images from it from your neck of the woods
Happy snaps
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes Mo, I think you'll be pleased with the XF 18mm Smile
The Kaxinda 1.7/35mm is fully manual. I like it much because it gives very good results in B+W making me feel pictures come from film.
But it must be used with a hood.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest, a Jupiter 12 2.8/35mm for my Zorki and a worn but working Helios-103 1.8/53mm
that came on a non-working Kiev. I will use it on my working Kievs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,
It has been posted so its simply a case of waiting,Tom I will certainly be out and about with it...as long as the rain stays away...so much water!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been out shooting with my new Minolta MC Rokkor PG 58mm 1.2 that I picked up for a decent price. Blades were stuck open, but that was an easy fix! Will have to develop this roll to find out if it's optically good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest additions for my growing Minolta collection:

1. Minolta MD W.Rokkor 20mm/2.8. Sadly not in perfect shooting condition and it doesn't have the best reputation to begin with, but it looks nice,

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 20mm/2.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

2. Minolta MD W.Rokkor 24mm/2.8. Not yet tested but should be ok.

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 24mm/2.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

3. Minolta MD Zoom 24-35mm/3.5. Also not tested yet but at first glance seems very good.

Minolta MD Zoom 24-35mm/3.5 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

4. Minolta MD Zoom 35-105mm/3.5-4.5. Probably one of the better Minolta MD zooms as far as I can tell.

Minolta MD Zoom 35-105mm/3.5-4.5 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Latest additions for my growing Minolta collection:

1. Minotla MD W.Rokkor 20mm/2.8. Sadly ... it doesn't have the best reputation to begin with, but it looks nice,

The MD-III 2.8/20mm certainly isn't worse than the MC 2.8/21mm.
I guess that the MD-II 2.8/20mm has the same optics as the MD-III, but unless proven we can't be completely sure.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones Miran!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently sold a few lenses I did not use anymore, so I bought a few "new" lenses to replace the empty space the sold ones left in my camera bag:

Carl Zeiss aus Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.8 "zebra" version
- This one was cheap, only 10 euros. It has M42 screw mount, and it's optically in great condition. Focusing is really stiff, but it works. It's not very nice to shoot with because of this, but image quality it produces is totally worth it.

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.7
- With C/Y mount, came with original box and paperwork. Almost in mint condition. Price was 99,90 euros. Lovely lens!

MC Peleng 8mm f/3.5 A Fisheye Circular
- I have always needed a wide lens, because I really don't have anything there (Yashica ML 28mm being my widest before this). So when a possibility came to buy this lens for 70 euros, I bought it. I have used tele lenses so much that I had not even realised how much fun wide lenses are to play with. I especially like the beautiful coatings this lens has.

I also bought MC Soligor C/D 500mm f/8 mirror lens from a flea market for 30 euros. It was the shittiest lens I have ever used, so I sold it away immediately the very next day. Too bad this lens was attached to my camera when I was photographing in a remote forest with my friend. My friend imitated female moose voices and managed to get a male moose within a photographing distance... The photos I took with this 500mm from that moose are the absolute blurriest images I have ever taken. And yes, I used a tripod and focused my image with Canon 700D's live view 10x magnification.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last lens I bought is a Jupiter-12 2.8/35. I re-bought this lens, because I regret that I had sold it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The last lens I bought is a Jupiter-12 2.8/25. I re-bought this lens, because I regretted that I had sold it.

Congratulaions. What camera will you use it on?
Did you mean 35 instead of 25?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a Canon nFD 100/2 at a decent price (~300€ is a bit much) for a while now, I got tired of searching so I picked up this Samyang 85/1.4 a couple of days ago (just to try it; at the price I paid, I won't make a loss reselling it):

(It hasn't arrived yet, this is one of the seller's pictures)

Now, as luck would have it, I just found this nFD 100/2 on ebay:

(again: seller's picture)

It appears to be in very good condition, it's a fairly reputable seller and the price was acceptable (250€, I can live with that).

Now I've got three somewhat pricy manual portrait lenses to pick from:
    Minolta MD 85/2 (280g, 64mm x 54mm)
    Canon nFD 100/2.0 (445g, 63mm x 70mm)
    Samyang 85/1.4 (510g, 78mm x 73mm)

Maybe I can justify keeping two but at least one has to go, I think these three deserve a thorough shootout (too bad I don't have an FD85/1.2L to make the comparison complete...)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I've owned a Nikkor 105/2.5 for years, then a few years ago, I bought a Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 Aspherical for a really great price, and then about a year after than, I bought a Canon outfit that included a clean nFD 85mm f/1.8.

So, here's how it's worked out for me. Whenever I want to shoot with that focal length, the first lens I reach for is the Canon 85/1.2 Aspherical. And it's pretty much the only lens I reach for. It's such a fantastic lens, I just don't feel the need to use either of the other two. The 85/1.2 Aspherical predates the "L" lenses and is considered by some to be the best of the lot. I can't say because I've never used the "L" equivalent.

But here's the thing. I've owned the Nikkor for over 20 years and I don't want to part with it for sentimental reasons and also because, well, I just like it. And the nFD Canon 85/1.8 is such a cute little hunk of glass, and it is really a nice optic, so I just don't want to get rid of it either. I'd rather have duplicates and redundancy these days than part with them. Who knows? Maybe one of these days, a situation will arise where one of the other lenses is exactly what is called for.

So, anyway, if I were in your situation, I'd probably sell the Minolta. Only because it is the same focal length as the Samyang. Having the slight extra length of the Canon might be useful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I picked up an F mount Gauss style 105 Nikkor as well as a newer AI mount. I've had several of the "F32" models and prefer them to almost any other lens I've tried between 85 and 105. The exception is the 85mm Steinheil Culminar which is #1 for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miran,
Well done! Will be very interested to see your comparison 24mm versus 20mm 2.8 (I paid less than 200£ for the 2 and have the same versions).

I love the compactness of both with the A6000.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I'd rather have duplicates and redundancy these days than part with them. Who knows? Maybe one of these days, a situation will arise where one of the other lenses is exactly what is called for.

It's just the opposite for me, I try to keep redundancies to a minimum, especially when non-trivially priced lenses are involved. This is a hobby with limited budget for me and I'd rather try a new lens (I've got gaps to fill) than keep around a lens that doesn't get much use.
(Canon FD lenses I'd like to try: 20/2.8, 24/2, 20-35/3.5L, 85/1.2L, 200/4, 300/4L)

I've been wondering whether the FD 85/1.2L would be a good 'endgame' choice for me, I usually like my lenses small & sharp but the 85-135mm range seems like the place to go big & fast. I'll use the Samyang 85/1.4 as a stand-in, the size is almost identical and I don't actually mind the weight (510g vs 680g) all that much. I expect I'll be happy with the Samyang's f/1.4-2 performance but from what I've seen, the Samyang sharpens up rather slowly when stopping down.

I really like the handling of the nFD lenses, at least when they're adapted. The aperture rings are rather shit but with the open/lock ring on the adapter, I can use them like preset lenses and ignore the aperture ring most of the time. I'll usually set the aperture ring to f/4 or f/5.6 and controll the aperture with the ring on the adapter, either switching between the set aperture and wide open (for focusing) or using the ring on the adapter as a stepless aperture ring.

cooltouch wrote:
So, anyway, if I were in your situation, I'd probably sell the Minolta. Only because it is the same focal length as the Samyang. Having the slight extra length of the Canon might be useful.

Unless the 100/2 is unexpectedly bad, I'll probably do that. I'll see which lens I gravitate to more and whether the other one gets enough use to stay around.

EDIT: The Samyang has arrived:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon nFD 3.5/20-35mm L

The Canon nFD 3.5/20-35mm L lens is, at f=20mm, on par with the best primes of that time, and nearly as sharp as the Canon TS-E 4/17mm in its non-shifted state. Both Canon L lenses, however, are by far surpassed by both the Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21mm and the Zeiss Batis 2.8/18mm which i got over the weekend for a quick test. I'll publish some results soon on artaphot.

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:

The Samyang has arrived

Congratulations! Friends

Btw my Samyang hardly ever gets to see any light even though it's the only 85 I have. It's just too big and heavy for me. And to make things worse it's one of the more expensive lenses I have (I bought it new). I've been trying to sell it for a while now but there's 0 interest. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Boris_Akunin wrote:

The Samyang has arrived

Congratulations! Friends

Btw my Samyang hardly ever gets to see any light even though it's the only 85 I have. It's just too big and heavy for me. And to make things worse it's one of the more expensive lenses I have (I bought it new). I've been trying to sell it for a while now but there's 0 interest. Sad

Too bad, it's got better bokeh than Nikon's $2000 version.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard good things about samyang value

My new addition to Minolta collection is the MC 35mm 1.8 and the 85mm f1.7 both for 122 British Pounds shipped
I like longer lenses so I will get my money back by selling the 35mm Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badr12 wrote:
My new addition to Minolta collection is the MC 35mm 1.8 and the 85mm f1.7 both for 122 British Pounds shipped
I like longer lenses so I will get my money back by selling the 35mm Smile

It's always nice when things work out that way, I try to finance as much of this hobby as I can with such arbitrage profits...

Both fine lenses, if you don't mind the weight. I wouldn't bother with the 35 on APS-C though, unless you have a lens turbo.

Here are some test shots, if you're interested (on a Fuji X-E1, compared with a Minolta MC 28/2, full resolution available):
Without lens turbo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kaktuskontrafaktus/albums/72157649008232906
With Zhongyi Lens Turbo mk. 1: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kaktuskontrafaktus/sets/72157649074117695