Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

I think you'll like that.. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

A very special lens
Everyone should get one while they are still cheap.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had a copy of this, but a previous owner had disassembled it and removed part of the aperture linkage. This copy was a reasonable price, much cleaner, but required the aperture to be freed up. Works perfectly now, looks great.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A weird mix of crazy lenses from the wastebin of the local photo store:

* a huge (huge!!) Auto Tamron 2.8/28mm
* a beautiful Schneider Retina-Curtagon 2.8/35mm
* an Auto Revuenon 2.8/35mm
* a similarly styled Auto Chinon 1.7/55mm
* a Pentacon Auto 1.8/50mm which nicely complements my Pentacon Auto 2.8/29 and 2.8/135 lenses
* an Auto Revuenon 1.4/55mm with completely flat rear lens
* an auto Beroflex 2.8/135mm
* an Admiral Automatik-Teleobjektiv 3.5/200mm
* a VEB Optisches Werk Weixdorf Konverter 2x
* and finally a Kaligar 3x Auto Tele Converter

I've only tested the Curtagon, which 1) extremely small and 2) extremely good at f11 (no CAs at all). And that one fits nicely to the Curtagon 4/28mm / Ysaron 2.8/50mm / Tele Xenar 4/135mm set I recently bought.

S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new lens is the Primoplan 135/3,5 in black versión.
With a lot of blades.
Exakta mount.

May be 17 blades.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

Any in common with the Petri 1,8/45 that came with the rangefinder Petri 7S?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

Well, I think that both lenses are six element designs, and may indeed be very similar in their layout.
The 45/1.8 has to make room for a shutter as well as the aperture mechanism so there is that obvious difference, apart from the focal length of course.
Apparently the 45/1.8 has a very good reputation for sharpness.
Ernest Dinkla has/had one and may care to comment on his experience
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a few images of the lenses mentioned above.

First the "new" Schneider Retina Curtagon 2.8/35mm, here shown with a Retina III and three oter lenses acquired earlier this year (Curtagon 4/28mm, Ysaron 2.8/50mm and Tele Xenra 47135mm).

The Retina Curtagon is tiny, precisely machined, and operating smoothly. A real joy to look at and to play with!

The next two lenses - an Auto Revuenon 2.8/35mm and a Chinon 1.7/55mm - look as if they were made by the same manufacturer, even though there are some minor differences when looking carefully at the engravings. The 2.8/35mm is an average performer, similar to many first-generation retrofocus lenses of similar specs. Corners never get really sharp, otherwise quite OK. The Chinon 1.7/50mm has very little lateral CAs; otherwise it performs similarly to many normal lenses of the same period.

Then the huge Auto Tamron 2.8/28mm. Very well made, focus is still very smooth - its performance however is very low. The Minolta MD 2.8/28mm shown here as well is much better at f2.8 than the Tamron at f11! And the Minolta gets much better when stopping down to f8 ... which means the Tamron is not recommended for landscape and the like. Clearly the worst 28mm lens I've ever encountered.

Another "low performer" - the Auto Beroflex 2.8/135mm. Some say "there is no bad 135mm lens" - but hey: here it is! The lens is very small for a 2.8/135mm, but at f2.8 only the very center is reasonably sharp (and quite low contrast). There are lots of lateral CAs, and - as with the Auto Tamron 2.8/28mm above - even at f11 pretty large areas simply are blurred. Does anyone have an idea about the manufacturer?

Finally two better lenses - first the Admiral Automatik-Teleobjektiv 3.5/200mm, here shown side by side with the corresponding Hexanon AR 3.5/200mm:

The Hexanon certainly has a rather good reputation. but the Admiral is (slightly) better than the metal grip version of the Hexanon AR 3.5/200mm (not shown here), and about as good as the later (rubber grip) version of the Konica Hexanon AR 3.5/200mm shown here! Pretty surprising, I wouldn't have expected that.

Finally the Auto Revuenon 1:1.4 f=55mm. I can count five reflexes in front of the aperture and seven (one of them weak) behind the aperture - which corresponds to a classical [7/5] double gauss derivative. The rear lens is absolutely flat => Tomioka? Its aperture is very slow and closes only to f4, which means I have to clean it Wink As with all contemporary f1.4 normal lenses, at f1.4 it has a low contrast and lots of coma. At f4, however, its surprisingly sharp and (unlike most other f1.4 lenses i know) there are no CAs!! Certainly a lens I'll have to look at more closely.

That's it for today! A very mixed bag indeed, but hey ... it was all for free Wink

S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

free novelty door stops/ paper weights for the worst performers?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
. . .
Another "low performer" - the Auto Beroflex 2.8/135mm.
. . . Does anyone have an idea about the manufacturer?

This is just a guess - but I believe Cimko (Cima Kogaku) lenses are known for having a diamond on their depth of field scales.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
. . .

This is just a guess - but I believe Cimko (Cima Kogaku) lenses are known for having a diamond on their depth of field scales.

Agree. I've seen this lens from quite a few rebadgers. It was the focus of a brief flurry of interest on a Manual Focus facebook group a year or two back. The proponents were quite enamoured of the lens for more or less the exact reason stevemark is not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Admiral is a Komine made lens. I have it in Panagor and I've also seen it as Mayima/Sekor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
55 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
. . .

Agree. I've seen this lens from quite a few rebadgers. It was the focus of a brief flurry of interest on a Manual Focus facebook group a year or two back. The proponents were quite enamoured of the lens for more or less the exact reason stevemark is not.

Thanks for this information! Those cheap 3rd party lenses are not very common in Switzerland, and I simply took it with me out of curiosity.

D1N0 wrote:
The Admiral is a Komine made lens. I have it in Panagor and I've also seen it as Mayima/Sekor.

Interesting - I wouldn't have considered the Auto Mamiya Sekor 3.5/200mm (II) as the same lens, but maybe you're right Wink

http://mamiya-nc-m42.mflenses.com/m42_mamiya_200_3.5_ii.htm

S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[sellers pic] I just found the Argus (Mamiya Sekor) 135/2.8 companion to the Mamiya made Argus SLR (the one with the 58/1.7 bayonet lens). Been on the lookout for it for a little while now. Listed with frozen focus and stuck aperture, but you take what you can get. I'm interested in whether this lens is the same formula as the Prismat NP and Sekor-Nikkorex lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

D1N0 wrote:

Interesting - I wouldn't have considered the Auto Mamiya Sekor 3.5/200mm (II) as the same lens, but maybe you're right Wink

http://mamiya-nc-m42.mflenses.com/m42_mamiya_200_3.5_ii.htm

S

That one looks more like the Vivitar 28xxxxx. I was talking about the one pictured here: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2537.html#prettyPhoto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

Well, I think that both lenses are six element designs, and may indeed be very similar in their layout.
The 45/1.8 has to make room for a shutter as well as the aperture mechanism so there is that obvious difference, apart from the focal length of course.
Tom

Some images made with the Petri 7 4,5cm 1.8. Actual focal length is 47mm. 8 blades aperture. On FF the corners are weak, CA is however quite good controlled.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65099114

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

Tom

Some images made with the Petri 7 4,5cm 1.8. Actual focal length is 47mm. 8 blades aperture. On FF the corners are weak, CA is however quite good controlled.

Thank you Ernst
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

Tom

Thank you Ernst
Tom

Some other images with that Petri 4,5cm 1.8

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64987691
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65114071

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Another "low performer" - the Auto Beroflex 2.8/135mm. Some say "there is no bad 135mm lens" - but hey: here it is! The lens is very small for a 2.8/135mm, but at f2.8 only the very center is reasonably sharp (and quite low contrast). There are lots of lateral CAs, and - as with the Auto Tamron 2.8/28mm above - even at f11 pretty large areas simply are blurred. Does anyone have an idea about the manufacturer?

That's it for today! A very mixed bag indeed, but hey ... it was all for free Wink

S

I've got this Cimko badged as Super Paragon, the store brand of Photax, and it's a great lens. I've had it for years, it's one of 26 M42 135's I've got, it's not the best - but it's in the top few.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-43

(not this one https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2-43 )

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
T-43

(not this one https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2-43 )

Already adapted?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
stevemark wrote:

I've got this Cimko badged as Super Paragon, the store brand of Photax, and it's a great lens. I've had it for years, it's one of 26 M42 135's I've got, it's not the best - but it's in the top few.

Strange mismatch indeed! I have tested these lenses at infinity, as usual. When I look at your images (http://forum.mflenses.com/super-paragon-cimko-135mm-f2-8-t42752.html) they were taken at much closer distances. I'll check the Beroflex (Cimko) 2.8/135mm again near its MFD. At infinity, however, there are pretty funny (and pronounced) CAs, and the outer parts of the image don't get sharp even at f11 (using 24 MP FF) - certainly not what I'd consider as "one of my top five 135mm lenses" Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Center 100% crop F8:

Edge 100% crop F8

My copy of the lens didn't have much fringing, but did have noticeably lower resolution at the edges, even at F8. The distance here is >100m, not sure exactly what it is. I didn't really get any shots in better weather to test the contrast. I have now sold the lens.