Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Not exactly a lens, but it is a camera that I have often admired.
The next logical step for me from my FTb and EF.
Not sure whether my big hands will like it, but I am looking forward to using it when it comes.
I can't work out why there is so little interest in this camera in the marketplace ..........
OH

[/quote] I own an A-1 and I've owned as many as four at the same time -- it was just a coincidence, I hadn't planned on it happening. The A-1 was my second "real" camera, and I can recall after I bought it that, because it was so overdone with electronics and all that tit was probably a camera that wouldn't withstand the test of time. Boy was I ever wrong! The A-1 has proved its mettle over the years. Lots of pros have ended up using it, in fact, mostly because of its reliability, I suspect. As for the shutter "problems" -- what, it needs a drop of oil on a gear train every 20 or 30 years. So what?

OH, I hope you have lots of fun with yours. Since you're an EF user, think its metering pattern when you use the A-1, and not the FTb's and you'll be okay. It has a similar bottom-centerweighted pattern as the EF's. But you know, given you like the bigger Canons, I would have thought your next move would have been to an original F-1. It's the next logical step. Although you can't find 'em for as cheap as the others.[
/quote]

Thanks Michael and devinw, Mir and Luis.
Yes an F-1 would be nice, but I am not sure what it will add in functionality over my FTb and EF.
Also there is so much interest in F-1's now that the prices have climbed.
The motor drive sounds interesting. I have a Nikon FE with motor drive, which I find awkward in use and I suspect that the A-1 will feel similar in the hands.
Maybe an auto winder will feel different, and add something to the heft of the camera as well.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now to do some research on how to adapt it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Part of the problem with the A-1 is that like the other Canons of this lineage (AE-1, etc.) It is an all electronic camera with a shutter thats known to suffer from old age problems. Its a sturdy semi- pro body but its not a Nikon FM.

The A-1 was my second SLR that I used for many years.It is a beautiful camera IMO. It still looks very much like a mechanical camera.

My A-1 with some exotic lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarely seen Chinese 35mm cine primes made in 1970's. Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sensational:
CZJ Pancolar 50mm 1.8 in M42 (dried focusing Sad );
Konica Hexanon AR 50mm 1.7 (in very good state).

In fact I didn't really need another fifty Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya Sekor C 80/1.9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD L 24-35mm f/3.5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not something rare but I'm glad that I finally have a Meyer!
Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiaming wrote:
Not something rare but I'm glad that I finally have a Meyer!
Whoo Turtle

Congratulations, a very nice lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon nFD 35mm f/2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[insert-drooling-smiley-here] Razz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:

Or this one Mr. Green Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:

Will this one do?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Haha :lol:

I'm setting up my 35mm comparison at the moment (nFD35/2 vs MD35/1.8 vs MD35/2.8), this is the close-up scene (~1.2 distance):

(shot with the nFD35/2 at f/4, click for full resolution)

Any suggestions?

I don't expect much focus shift, I wonder if I should bother to refocus for every aperture.
I will shoot a series refocused for the corners to test for field curvature. I'll put a grey card in there for white balance (I'll use one of the lenses as a reference) and I'll leave the exposure up to my Minolta Autometer IV-F.
I'll probably fill the empty spaces in the back with books or CDs to have more places for LoCA to show up.

I might also shoot a series with the lenses set to ~0.4m and/or to infinity.

EDIT:
I think this will do:

(Shot with the nFD35/2 at f/2. Not bad, is it?)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Nikon Nikkor AF 2.8/35-70mm
* Tamron 3.5-4.5/35-70mm (model 09A)
* Olympus Zuiko 3.5-4.5/35-105mm
* Pentax M 2.5/200mm

To my complete surprise, the tiny Tamron delivers better results than the fast, large & expensive Nikkor, both at f3.5 as well as at f8. Probably the Tamron is even better than the MD-III Minolta 3.5/35-70mm!

The Pentax 2.5/200mm is very sharp, even at f2.5, but one has to be aware of its beautiful "glow" (=> red/magenta longitudinal CAs) when shooting at f2.5.
I hope it will a beautiful portrait lens, but i'm not sure yet: Focusing is quite stiff - i'll have to dismantle and re-lubricate the lens. The Minolta MC-X generation of lenses focuses much, much smoother - and that's often quite important for real shooting!

I'll put a few sample on artaphot - but first (today!) i'm gonna publish now the test results of eight Topcor lenses from f=20mm to f=200mm Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought few months ago. the coverage isn't satisfying me...at m4/3 still has vignete, not easy to adapt though. challenging, but I have no time at the moment

som berthiot 40-70/1,6

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA Curtagon. It works better than expected!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Canon nFD 50/1.4.
This one's in better condition than the other one and it came with the (fairly rare) original hood.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a bad idea from the very beginning.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest additions to my Minolta collection:

1. Second copy of Minolta MD 50mm/2.0, this time a nice and clean one with barely any signs of use. Meanwhile I'm selling one with minor fungus for 10€ Wink
Minolta MD 50mm/2.0 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

2. Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28mm/3.5: I'm not sure what's the purpose of this lens when the 28/2.8 seems to be at least as good while being faster and only fractionally larger. Should do a comparison between the two "slower" 28s.
Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28mm/3.5 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

3. Minolta MD Macro 50mm/3.5: This is the MD-III version, feels a little light and plasticky in the hand but performs great as far as I can see. This copy is very nice and came with everything including the original leather case.
Minolta MD Macro 50mm/3.5 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

4. Minolta MD Zoom 35-135mm/3.5-4.5: A very good zoom as demonstrated in another thread already.
Minolta MD Zoom 35-135mm/3.5-4.5 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

5. Minolta MD Zoom Rokkor 100-200mm/5.6: This one's purpose is just make the numbers. It can probably make photos too but probably not very good. Will have to test, there might be a surprise waiting, but I wouldn't count on it.
Minolta MD Zoom Rokkor 100-200mm/5.6 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
Mamiya Sekor C 80/1.9

Congrats . Is there an adapter on the market?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest acquisition is a Tamron 28A 28-135mm f/4-4.5. I bought it off eBay for a ridiculously low amount. It came with a Nikon adaptall-2 mount. The price of the lens, including shipping, was just about what a lot of people are asking for just the Nikon adaptall-2 mount. Condition-wise, I'd give it a solid EXC. There's no real visible wear anywhere, except a tiny amount around the bayonet mount. It's a push pull zoom, so the zoom collar slips a bit, but so what. Almost all my push-pull zooms have zoom collars that slip.

A couple of sample shots, taken with my Sony NEX 7 @ ISO 100. I've downsized the images to 1600x1067, but they're still big enough to give you a good idea of the lens's sharpness.

It's a heavy little lump, but the focal range is such a useful one for a film camera that I don't mind the weight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had major G.A.S. and bought a few things that finally all came in at the same time..

Kodak Retina II with Ektar 47/2.. Extracted the lens and shutter/iris and adapted it for Sony e-mount.. I left the helicoid behind because I'm using my own... The Kodak helicoid looked way too complicated to take out anyways

Lomo 35mm f/1.2 16KP OKP1-35-1 from Russia.. What a tiny lens!

Adapted to Sony e-mount using the helicoid from a Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter.. The lens vignettes a little on APS-C at infinity..nothing horrible.. probably just darker corners on 16:9 mode..

Lomo 92mm f/2 LETI-60M "Helios-92" ..Adapted to canon EOS using the helicoid from another Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter.

..and finally a Petri 50mm f/2 Kuribayashi C.C. in Petri Bayonet mount ... adapted to Sony e-mount

bubbly bokeh!

bubbly by Michael Lee, on Flickr