Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
stevemark wrote:
benadamx wrote:
this little guy turned up at the flea market.. emboldened by recent successes CLAing some old lenses, i figured i'd be able to get that front element out and clean the haze off it, but turns out its... degraded in some fashion? maybe etched by previous fungus or something, a real shame as the other elements are nice and clear.

Try re-polishing with cerium oxide ...! Available e. g. on Amazon for about USD 10.--.

are you serious? have you done this before?

There are different grades of Ceriumoxide, I have the finest grade and it works well to re-polish filters!
Just needs quite some ellbow-grease...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
stevemark wrote:
benadamx wrote:
this little guy turned up at the flea market.. emboldened by recent successes CLAing some old lenses, i figured i'd be able to get that front element out and clean the haze off it, but turns out its... degraded in some fashion? maybe etched by previous fungus or something, a real shame as the other elements are nice and clear.

Try re-polishing with cerium oxide ...! Available e. g. on Amazon for about USD 10.--.

are you serious? have you done this before?

There are different grades of Ceriumoxide, I have the finest grade and it works well to re-polish filters!
Just needs quite some ellbow-grease...

Yes, I know! You must be polishing uncoated filters no doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
stevemark wrote:
benadamx wrote:

are you serious?

Yes. Of course any coating will be lost, but it seems that only one surface in the objective is affected, so it should be OK.

visualopsins wrote:

have you done this before?

No ... since I've never bought a lens with severely scratched / completely mat surfaces ... but I certainly would do it if necessary. Not too long ago it was even possible here in Switzerland to have lenses re-coated (single coating, of course)!

S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Yes. Of course any coating will be lost, but it seems that only one surface in the objective is affected, so it should be OK.

tbh I can't tell if it's both sides of the element, or also within the element, but at this point it's worth a try.. i have a set of little polishing mandrels for my dremel tool to make it a bit easier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one from Japan. Including all the shipping and taxes i probably paid about a 100 euro's but apart from some fungus inside it looks and operates perfectly. Takumar 105mm 1:2.8

Takumar 105mm 1:2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinon-TV 1.4/12.5mm, works very well as a slightly wide angle on my Nikon J1, it's gota lovely diffuse glow wide open but is acceptably sharp, gets brutally sharp stopped down though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Takumar 105mm 1:2.8

Nice package. I've got one of these and it makes beautiful bubble bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Model I made 1958-1961, later variation withyellow & blue distance engravings (earlier Model I has white distance engravings), with 4 elements in 4 groups -- later Model II and later versions are 5/4 with cemented rear group of 2 elements.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
KEO wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Model I made 1958-1961, later variation withyellow & blue distance engravings (earlier Model I has white distance engravings), with 4 elements in 4 groups -- later Model II and later versions are 5/4 with cemented rear group of 2 elements.

It is also very compact (46mm filter thread) what surprises me is that it seems to be multi-coated not just the blue coating you see on the first generation takumars but also an orange coating, like in the super-takumars.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Another one from Japan. Including all the shipping and taxes i probably paid about a 100 euro's but apart from some fungus inside it looks and operates perfectly. Takumar 105mm 1:2.8

Nice one! Last night ebay had one but ended at 4am in my time. I couldn't be there so lost it...

This auto Takumar is said to be sharper than later versions of 105mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Nice one! Last night ebay had one but ended at 4am in my time. I couldn't be there so lost it...

Yes this and the Auto-Takumar share the 4 elements 4 groups configuration, different from later 1:2,8 105mm Takumars versions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Yes this and the Auto-Takumar share the 4 elements 4 groups configuration, different from later 1:2,8 105mm Takumars versions.

Thanks. Good to know. Just noticed what he got is not Auto-Takumar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, while taking images of recently restored gothic wooden statues at an restorer's studio, i was shown a box of "useless gear" that had piled up during recent years. Some Minolta 7000 and 7000i cameras with different kit lenses, and a pair of Minolta AF 2.8/50mm Macro lenses. Further down in the box there were a few MF cameras as well, and I was asked to take (for free) whatever I would like to have.

The Konica FT-1 was (along with the FT-1 and the FC-1) one of the last Konica SLRs. Since I didn't have it yet, and since also the Hexanon AR 2.8/35mm with rubber focusing grip was new to me, I happily took that beast.

Next was a slightly odd Nikon SLR, the EL2:

To be honest, I never had thought of buying a Nikon EL, let alone an EL2 (the latter being quite rare) since I had considered these cameras as "consumer SLRs". In fact the EL2 is a heavy (and obviously well built) Nikon. With the 1.2/55mm AI Nikkor, which was mounted on the camera, the EL2 weighs nearly 1.2 kg! Of course I was delighted to find another Ai Nikkor 1.2/55mm in a junk box*, and a I pointed to the value of this lens - nevertheless I was asked to take it (and the EL2) with me, for free. Really nice !!

Then today, there was this little lens in the showcase of a local photo shop. Do you recognize it?

With its huge lens hood it looks rather bullish (don't know whether that's the right term, but i guess you know what I mean). It's quite funny that the lens hood actually is obscuring the prestigious red "L"-line. So ... let's remove the hood ...

... and now it looks much more familiar! The lens is virtually a "new-old-stock" (with boxes and everything) - it was bought years ago by someone with enough money to put the new, unused lens in a drawer and leave it there. Needless to say, i couldn't resist and got it. It nicely complements a few other nFD "L" lenses I already had, such as the nFD 3.5/20-35mm and the nFD 1.2/50mm L:

Of course all these lenses are rather common compared to what others can present here ... nevertheless i look forward to compare the nFD 1.2/85mm L with its slower nFD 1.8/85mm counterpart, and the corresponding (albeit slightly slower) Minolta AF 1.4/85mm and MD 2/85mm lenses.

* the first one i got nearly for free as well, some years ago (CHF/EUR/USD 50.-- including a Nikkormat and some more lenses)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a reader, I feel excited hearing your story. I have to quote it. Smile

The Nikon 1.2 lens is already good finding, the Canon L is even more thrilling. Would love to see the photos from it.

stevemark wrote:
Yesterday, while taking images of recently restored gothic wooden statues at an restorer's studio, i was shown a box of "useless gear" that had piled up during recent years. Some Minolta 7000 and 7000i cameras with different kit lenses, and a pair of Minolta AF 2.8/50mm Macro lenses. Further down in the box there were a few MF cameras as well, and I was asked to take (for free) whatever I would like to have.

The Konica FT-1 was (along with the FT-1 and the FC-1) one of the last Konica SLRs. Since I didn't have it yet, and since also the Hexanon AR 2.8/35mm with rubber focusing grip was new to me, I happily took that beast.

Next was a slightly odd Nikon SLR, the EL2:

To be honest, I never had thought of buying a Nikon EL, let alone an EL2 (the latter being quite rare) since I had considered these cameras as "consumer SLRs". In fact the EL2 is a heavy (and obviously well built) Nikon. With the 1.2/55mm AI Nikkor, which was mounted on the camera, the EL2 weighs nearly 1.2 kg! Of course I was delighted to find another Ai Nikkor 1.2/55mm in a junk box*, and a I pointed to the value of this lens - nevertheless I was asked to take it (and the EL2) with me, for free. Really nice !!

Then today, there was this little lens in the showcase of a local photo shop. Do you recognize it?

With its huge lens hood it looks rather bullish (don't know whether that's the right term, but i guess you know what I mean). It's quite funny that the lens hood actually is obscuring the prestigious red "L"-line. So ... let's remove the hood ...

... and now it looks much more familiar! The lens is virtually a "new-old-stock" (with boxes and everything) - it was bought years ago by someone with enough money to put the new, unused lens in a drawer and leave it there. Needless to say, i couldn't resist and got it. It nicely complements a few other nFD "L" lenses I already had, such as the nFD 3.5/20-35mm and the nFD 1.2/50mm L:

Of course all these lenses are rather common compared to what others can present here ... nevertheless i look forward to compare the nFD 1.2/85mm L with its slower nFD 1.8/85mm counterpart, and the corresponding (albeit slightly slower) Minolta AF 1.4/85mm and MD 2/85mm lenses.

* the first one i got nearly for free as well, some years ago (CHF/EUR/USD 50.-- including a Nikkormat and some more lenses)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
As a reader, I feel excited hearing your story.

Yeah, I always love to hear the story behind the gear I get. There's quite a lot of used high-quality stuff available here in Switzerland. Not only it is available, but usually it is in a good or even very good condition. And quite often the sellers are happy to give it away for a fair price, enjoying the fact that they can make someone else (=me) happy. That happened to me quite often, and I got in contact with quite remarkable persons. I still remember, for instance, the dark November evening when i was trying to find a house situated on the "Goldküste" ("gold coast") of Lake Zurich, located directly on the lakeside and surrounded by a large park. It turned out to be the former mansion of Carl Gustav Jung, a famous Swiss psychiatrist (now a museum, but back then still used as a private mansion). And there's a beautiful professional MF SLR camera set here which belonged to a very famous sportsman (not a Swiss ... but quite a few sportsmen actually decide to live here after their active career). But there are also the "small" stories ... several cameras I have were brought directly from Japan or the US to Switzerland, usually by successful businessmen, because they were not (yet) available here. And sometimes another collector is selling surplus stuff such as the nFD 3.5/20-35mm shown above. The guy, a retired Swiss engineer with Italian roots, has the most complete Canon SLR i ever saw. I mean complete: Not only lenses and bodies, but all those most crazy accessories made in the late 1960s and early 1970s ... Incredible!!

vivaldibow wrote:

The Nikon 1.2 lens is already good finding, the Canon L is even more thrilling. Would love to see the photos from it.

Me too Wink ... I hope i'll find some time during August to do some serious portrait work using a few nice vintage lenses such as the Nikkor Ai 1.2/55mm, the Minolta MC-X 1.2/58mm, the Canon nFD 1.2/85mm, the Nikkor-P Auto 2.5/105mm [Sonnar type], the Canon nFD 2/135mm, and the Nikkor AiS 2/135mm. The Nikkor 1.2/55mm, for example, is a very capable lens for available light portraits, with a delicate rendering at f1.2. The same counts for the 2/135mm Nikkor which has just the right kind of softness for beautiful b/w portraits. Two lenses from the above list (the Sonnar type 2.5/105mm Nikkor and obvioulsy the nFD 1.2/85mm L) were acquired recently, and i look forward to use them not only for tests Wink. But before using them, I will test them thoroughly to know their respective characteristics!

S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax-K 200mm f:4

[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
SMC Pentax-K 200mm f:4

[/img]

Maybe it was mine? 😁 I just sold mine. It's a very good lens by the way, just too big for my camera bag.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOG 80mm Primotar f/3.5 in extremely good condition. Exakta.

What a jolly, oddball lens. It's a giant for its focal length and aperture. Despite it's relatively small front element I'd say it's close in size and weight to my 85mm Nikkor-H Auto 1.8. The barrel looks a lot like a beer keg.

Great fun to shoot with so far. Sharpness is good but it's not as sharp as my 50mm Primotar E 3.5 (though it's a lot sharper than my Primotar 135 3.5). Bokeh wide open is lots of circles with nice soap bubbles on the highlights. I've gotten smoother bokeh too at times, but I'm still figuring out the optimal distance ratios for this. It's got 15 aperture blades, if I'm counting correctly.

Black and whites look very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Maybe it was mine? 😁 I just sold mine. It's a very good lens by the way, just too big for my camera bag.

Yes it was, thank you. You just sold a Tokina RMC 17/3.5 too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the small brother of the SP 200-500, right the BBAR 105 2.5, which needs some inside cleaning (i didnt find any info where to start with it, as it only remain the front side, nothing in the back)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Yes it was, thank you. You just sold a Tokina RMC 17/3.5 too.

Just shipping it right now 😁

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

What is your opinion about this Tokina? Is it recommended?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

What is your opinion about this Tokina? Is it recommended?

For the price it's excellent. But you have to stop down to f/5.6 for good contrast.
It doesn't have the pixel peeping quality of a brand new super wide angle, but IQ wise you can compare it to older Nikkor super wide angles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big heavy MF Kaleinar 3B 150mm 1:2.8 Pentacon 6 adapter still incoming.
Kaleinar 3B 150mm 1:2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr