Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try it next week, i hope we'll get some sun again....

Series 1 200mm f/3.0 by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived today,not a bargain as some in this thread but I am happy to have it. The Takumar 2/58...it's so small. The camera came with it,the one called AP (? )

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent lens purchase had somehow slipped my mind, but that Vivitar reminded me. I mentioned the purchase here in this thread, but I never posted a photo. So, here it is. Yet one more example of a piece of gear I used to own, sold, and decided I wanted back. It's a cool lens. I started a thread on it here a few weeks ago.

Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8 IF:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking lens Michael congrats on the reacquisition Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell & Howell 24mm f2.8 in FD mount - from one of our members via that auction site - I'm in Ireland and the lens is coming from Poland: I wonder which of us makes it home to Calgary first?

And as a project, an 1890 Taylor Taylor Hobson 10x8 No.3 Casket lens (with the WAR front element which I believe was one of four possible options for front elements ahead of a separate rear element; WAR = wide angle rectilinear). Hoping to mount on bellows, but will have to machine a means to mount it. The glass looks very good.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nikkor-S 5cm f2 Nippon Kogaku. Its not very sharp but i love ti pictures it produces.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
My most recent lens purchase had somehow slipped my mind, but that Vivitar reminded me. I mentioned the purchase here in this thread, but I never posted a photo. So, here it is. Yet one more example of a piece of gear I used to own, sold, and decided I wanted back. It's a cool lens. I started a thread on it here a few weeks ago.

Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8 IF:

That's in fact a nice lens, and not that easy to find Wink. It's an interesting example of improving a lens without actiually improving its optical performance: The previous (non-IF!) nFD 2.8/200mm has a similar detail resolution and as much CAs as the later IF-version, but the nFD 2.8/200mm IF is so much easier to handle! Enjoy it Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the reason why I prefer the latest version is because of its IF, and I like it because the IF allows you to focus very quickly with it.

You know, I've never used one, but I've read on several occasions from owners of the earlier version that it does not have the CA problems this latest version has. I have no way to confirm this, just going by the comments I've read.

I just took a look at the 200/2.8's over at the Canon museum. It shows three versions of the 200/2.8: the original FD SSC breechlock, and the early and late New FD 200/2.8's. The breechlock and early New FD 200/2.8 both have 5 elements in 5 groups, whereas the late New FD 200/2.8 has 7 elements in 6 groups. The additional elements are there for the IF and may be the culprits when it comes to the CA problems this latest version has.

I really liked the 200/2.8 I bought back in 1985, but I quickly learned that I had to be careful how I used it -- to prevent the appearance of lots of magenta and green CAs. As long as I used it the "right way" it was a fantastic lens. I sold the lens in 1989 when I switched systems to Nikon (and shortly after bought a Nikkor 180/2.8 ED -- another fantastic lens). But I never forgot it and ultimately liked it enough to buy it back.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This beauty arrived this am,13 blades.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nameplate certainly was replaced, it's not an Helios-44-2 here, but an Helios-44. Nothing bad, the 44 is great lens Smile.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Pierre,it is a 44. I had not noticed the nameplate Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked this up yesterday, anyone know anything about it? In picture #3 the inscription on the left says something like "Lightning REGB" but I'm probably wrong about the second part.

Just for funsies, here's it mounted on my K-3. Apologies for the large amount of images. Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:

Hi Kryss,

have ye counted those blades? Looks like ye have a bitser there. The lens cap, as mentioned isn't original. Seen quite a few of these lenses on eBay. Many are from reputable folk , trying tae make a living (some tell ye that they're reassembled from parts...others don't).The body looks like a Helios 44, can't see enough detail with the new chrome. That's a Valdai logo. They didn't make the 44 model but did make 44.2 and upward. Looks like ye may have a Helios body and shutter with 44.2 elements. But hell, ah've put a couple together with the best parts from each - they work. Ah hope ye enjoy it. It looks great! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received today, to please my sudden curiosity in telelenses:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:

But hell, ah've put a couple together with the best parts from each - they work. Ah hope ye enjoy it. It looks great! Like 1 small

You can do the same with Russian watches, funnily enough! Laugh 1 The lens looks stunning in the polished chrome finish with its bodacious, curved edges. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:

Wow, a stunning looking lens! Enjoy. Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

You know, I've never used one, but I've read on several occasions from owners of the earlier version that it does not have the CA problems this latest version has. I have no way to confirm this, just going by the comments I've read.

I did a quite side-by-side coparison of the breach lock FD 2.8/200mm and the new FD 2.8/200mm IF, and there were no substantial differences regarding CAs (at infinity). A closer look at the two lenses might reveal more accurate information, but for time being i would say that they both have similar CA problems (and so does the Minolta MD-II/MD-III 2.8/200mm, which shares the same construction principle with the old FD 2.8/200mm).

cooltouch wrote:
As long as I used it the "right way" it was a fantastic lens. I sold the lens in 1989 when I switched systems to Nikon (and shortly after bought a Nikkor 180/2.8 ED -- another fantastic lens). But I never forgot it and ultimately liked it enough to buy it back.

I guess the 180mm ED Nikkor shoulod have less CA?? I've never had the chance to use the ED Nikkor - but I may buy it sooner later (or maybe the AF version).

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

cooltouch wrote:
As long as I used it the "right way" it was a fantastic lens. I sold the lens in 1989 when I switched systems to Nikon (and shortly after bought a Nikkor 180/2.8 ED -- another fantastic lens). But I never forgot it and ultimately liked it enough to buy it back.

I guess the 180mm ED Nikkor shoulod have less CA?? I've never had the chance to use the ED Nikkor - but I may buy it sooner later (or maybe the AF version).

Well, if I had to bet, I'd probably bet that the latest version has less CA than the 80's 180/2.8 ED I owned. As for its level of CA, all I have to go by are some old slides I took with it (I sold the lens about 20 years ago), and of those I've closely examined, I've found essentially no CA . . . but then that was film, so there might be some difference compared to shooting with a digital camera. What I recall from using it, however, was I never worried about how the subject was lit, which is something I had to watch out for with the Canon, and also that it was just incredibly sharp.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

What I recall from using it, however, was I never worried about how the subject was lit, which is something I had to watch out for with the Canon, and also that it was just incredibly sharp.

Sounds like the Minolta AF 2.8/200mm APO, which i acquired when i was 19 years old, in 1988 Wink
With that lens i also never had to worry - no reflexes even in severe backlight, incredibly sharp on the Kodak Tecnical Pan film, and no CAs at all.

Let's see, sooner or later i may have to change to Nikon, since the A bayonet is "dead end".

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:

wow nice lens. did you think that we can take a regular helios and sand down it ?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do not buy used items on ebay, but this one is near mint!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These lovelies.
And i'm not buying anymore lenses,
i swear........ Razz

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week has brought a Contax Makro-Planar 60/2.8 C, Yashica ML 24/2.8 & Yashica ML 28-50/3.5...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Nikon FM with a nice 50mm f1.4 Nikkor lens and case at a local estate sale this morning.

When I got there, a couple was looking at the zoom lens that came with the camera kit. They wanted the zoom lens, I wanted the prime lens and camera, but the estate sale was selling them together as a package and wasn't splitting the set. The combined price was more than either of us wanted to spend. I worked with the couple and we split the price 50/50 and both came away with a good deal.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeardsAreBest wrote:
And i'm not buying anymore lenses, i swear........ Razz

Laughing