Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the Minolta MC Rokkor-X PG 50mm f/1.4 I bought on the Bay. I also have the Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7, which I really like, but I think this new one will spend more time on the camera than the f/1.7. Here's the lens and a couple of quick test shots.

The lens

Wide open test shot

Love the razor-thin DOF wide open!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
I just received the Minolta MC Rokkor-X PG 50mm f/1.4 I bought on the Bay. I also have the Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7, which I really like, but I think this new one will spend more time on the camera than the f/1.7. Here's the lens and a couple of quick test shots.

At a given aperture, all of the Minolta MC/MD 50mm 1:1.4 lenses are slightly sharper than their 50mm 1:1.7 counterparts.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last month or so, I bought quite a few of these old legacy lenses that I wished to own back in the 1980's or 90's, but could not afford them then. Ironically, i bought a Zorki 6 with a Jupiter-3 for 30 yuan RMB IIRC in the early 1990's, that now could cost 2-3 times of these fast Japanese lenses.Smile IIRC, a FDn 50mm F1.4 cost about RMB 800 yuan then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that many people on this thread have multiple standard 50 mm lenses. My question is what are the reasons for havng several standard lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
I have seen that many people on this thread have multiple standard 50 mm lenses. My question is what are the reasons for havng several standard lenses?

Why not? They are different especially the old ones.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:

Different image performance, color rendering, bokeh style. Many lenses are both great, you just use them based on your mood. )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:

These standard lenses could be used on a modern digital camera such as Sony A7 series with a proper adaptor so I 'd like to try them to see the difference. You may have noticed that the Canon FD 50/1.4 lenses belong to different generations, and the earlier ones were never sold in China new as far as I know. I only saw the last generation ones sold in stores back in 1980's.
My second camera was a Canon A1 bought in late 1980's, and I still have it, so that I have a special feeling to Canon optics.Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
Antoine wrote:

These standard lenses could be used on a modern digital camera such as Sony A7 series with a proper adaptor so I 'd like to try them to see the difference. You may have noticed that the Canon FD 50/1.4 lenses belong to different generations, and the earlier ones were never sold in China new as far as I know. I only saw the last generation ones sold in stores back in 1980's.
My second camera was a Canon A1 bought in late 1980's, and I still have it, so that I have a special feeling to Canon optics.Smile

A more practical answer to the question is simple. Often when I buy an old camera I'm interested in, it comes with a normal lens. And often the lens is different from the normal I might already own, so there's this notion that it's worth keeping the new addition. But there's also another simple reason. Normal lenses, especially f/1.8 and slower, are so common that you practically can't give them away. When I sell a camera on eBay, if I have a normal lens that fits that camera that I don't want or need, I will mount it to the camera and include it in the sale. I will at leas attempt a bit of an upcharge because I've included the lens. But more typically, the lens functions as a body cap and doesn't add to the value of the camera at all. So what this means is, it's simply hard to get rid of them, and as a result, they tend to accumulate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
kievuser wrote:
Antoine wrote:

A more practical answer to the question is simple. Often when I buy an old camera I'm interested in, it comes with a normal lens. And often the lens is different from the normal I might already own, so there's this notion that it's worth keeping the new addition. But there's also another simple reason. Normal lenses, especially f/1.8 and slower, are so common that you practically can't give them away. When I sell a camera on eBay, if I have a normal lens that fits that camera that I don't want or need, I will mount it to the camera and include it in the sale. I will at leas attempt a bit of an upcharge because I've included the lens. But more typically, the lens functions as a body cap and doesn't add to the value of the camera at all. So what this means is, it's simply hard to get rid of them, and as a result, they tend to accumulate.

These old manual lenses acted more like body caps a few years ago because there was no easy way to use them as a full frame lens eapcially those Canon FD ones on a full frame digital SLR, or a Leica M9 rangefinder camera. But I find that with the new full frame A7 series cameras, especially the A7RII with a very bright view finder, these fine optics could be used quite easily. IMHO, today it might be time to give them a second thought if you are not a professional photographer, and don't always need a fast acting automatic lens. I have tried some of them on my Olympus EPl2, and they often performed better (sharper)than the original 14-42 Olympus lens at 42mm focul length.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analog lex wrote:
Antoine wrote:

Different image performance, color rendering, bokeh style. Many lenses are both great, you just use them based on your mood. )

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!... Many reasons... Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon new FD 2/28mm, recently found for a decent price;)

While the lens looks "like new", the mechanics are a bit wobbling (as often with "new FD" lenses). It's optical performance may be slightly better than the corresponding Minolta MD-III 2/28mm, but the Canon FD mechanics are clearly less precise than the Minolta MC-X / MD-I series.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiyoko 11cm f/5.6 ltm Wink Stellar performer!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar (Tokina) T4 21mm f3.8 arrived today. Nice shape and am pleased with lens. Nice front cap with Vivitar insignia, good 67mm haze filter, and hood also were included.

Cool part:

The lens came with a useless (to me) Nikon-T4 adapter. Months ago I bought circa 20+ m42-TX adapters from a camera shop down in Virginia. They were unloading these brand new adapters. m42-TX adapters work great with T4 lenses. Was able thereby instantly to convert my new 21mm lens to m42. Sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Vega 5U 5Y 105/4 (Russian) M42 Enlarger Lens Reply with quote

Just received this super cheap lens today off eBay for $27.50 shipped from Stavropol, Russia - in excellent cosmetic and optical condition. See my initial review here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/vega-5u-5y-105-4-russian-m42-sample-pix-t74906.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Antoine"]I have seen that many people on this thread have multiple standard 50 mm lenses. My question is what are the reasons for havng several standard lenses?[/quote]

50mm lens to camera is T-shirt to man and there are men who have countless T-shirts.
On the other hand, 500mm lens is man's Tuxedo.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wish list also include some high grade, or rare objectives or industrial lenses.
This Nikon microscope objective is my latest catch for RMB 550 yuan (about US$90), not cheap but still a good deal for what it is IMO.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing as exotic as some lenses here but I've just picked up a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm f/2.8 for £38 [I think] in FD mount [for the A7]

I'm hoping it'll pass simply as a dedicated wide landscape lens Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this Paragon in an Olympus bundle. Ah was looking for a mint OM2n, got the OM, that Paragon (a T2 adaptall lens with Oly and M42 collars), with 3 other lenses, a 2x dedicated macro and a lot of other bits and pieces.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy bazookas Batman!
OH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:

This actually gets asked often, the answer as you found out is varied, for me, it's because they're all different in some way, many are much cheaper now days.
Why have more than one car? More than one offspring?

Just bought a Leica M 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit.
Hopefully I'll have the Voigtlander 10mm later this month, depending on when they ship.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Just bought a Leica M 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit.

I have one of those ^^^ - a "thin" version. Bloody lovely bit of glass Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:

Because they accumulate faster than I can get rid of them.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This beautiful little wonder that's been converted to LTM.
Hopefully the one who did the conversion is a forum member and recognises their work?
It's very well done. Like 1 small