Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
KEO wrote:
Excellent condition Steinheil 135mm Culminar f/4.5 in LTM:

And a bit of a looker too. Nice find KEO Like 1 .

Thanks! Original caps and original case in excellent condition too - it's a nice set. The lens is better than I thought it would be for such a low price.

Some of the best 135s I've found are some of the cheapest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been a while and I've been "relatively" well behaved.. The wide angle quest saw me acquire an Enna Ultra Lirhagon 29mm f2.8 which ended up being lost... Then a replacement I got ended up looking nice but the focus is out... 😭 One for a refurb for sure... Doh..

So to make up for that there's now a Meyer Optik Primagon 35mm f4.5 in M42 mount in the post along with an Isco Gottingen Westrocolor 50mm f1.9 in Exa mount.. Quite looking forward to trying them both.. 😁

In the meantime I have been testing more of the collection, or in many cases retrying some on the new Fuji XH-1.

some have proven quite surprising and I'm reassessing my opinion on a few lenses. Given the quest for a decent wide angle so far stand outs have been the Flektogon 35mm f2.8, which now seems to be able to focus at infinity. https://flic.kr/p/2hqSeHC

Another that had been put away soon after arriving was the ZOMZ MIR-1 29MM f2.8 Brussels Grand Prix, not had much chance to test it properly but what I've shot with it so far had really impressed me.. https://flic.kr/p/2htRYsj. Fantastic contrast and so sharp. Just let down by b*stard stiff focus

Then the most recent 5o surprise has to be the Helios 44 58mm f2 in M39 mount I've got. Again it now seems to get infinity https://flic.kr/p/2huMyXL and as for the contrast, blur and just general film feel when shot wide open.. https://flic.kr/p/2huLzMs

Really looking forward to trying the Helios 44 more though, didn't get much light to try it with today but so far it's really grabbed me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I really like that Flektogon shot, Gott Like 1 .

Hope you're enjoying the XH-1.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
I have been testing ...

Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
^^ I really like that Flektogon shot, Gott Like 1 .

Hope you're enjoying the XH-1.

Thanks! And yeah I really am... 😂

They really dropped the price on them and I really was finding the A6000 to be a little bit too compact-like... Hence I ended up with a new body.. 😁 So far, I can understand why the ergonomics of it get a slating. The buttons are fiddly but there's workarounds (such as using auto shutter speed and using exposure compensation rather than the shutter speed dial given its a bit of a faff to move hands around..) but having used an X100T before the A6000 the OS is very familiar and its highly customiselable.

The in-body IS is just made for MF lenses, and its customisable for whatever focal length. Really allows for handheld at lower shutter speeds, which is great for slower lenses. I've shot around 1/10 handheld and it's been sharp. Noise is good, I'm happy shooting at 800 to 1600 now, and image quality is very good. Ad I said, I'm getting infinity on more lenses now and contrast seems better defined. I'd definitely recommend it, but like I say it feels a bit wrong to handle.. 😏

For me it's made me go more for B&W for shots given the contrast, such as this one on the Flek 35: https://flic.kr/p/2hqRgis

It's also had the Flektogon 20 f4 tested on it... 😁

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHH3sAE

I still hate focusing that lens though.. 😂

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

The little triangle near the base is a "Tower" logo, which is somewhat interesting.

Now that is a nice looking lens.. 😍

I've got a Culmigon 35 and Cassar 50 in the same build and they're so well crafted.

As for the tower, wonder if that was their take on Pentacon's tower and first quality stamp.. 😂

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

The in-body IS is just made for MF lenses, ...

That is what has started me looking at it. Thanks for the info, first hand is invaluable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Gott23 wrote:

The in-body IS is just made for MF lenses, ...

That is what has started me looking at it. Thanks for the info, first hand is invaluable.

No probs. Its been a bit of a game changer for me as I really didn't feel I was getting the image quality out of the A6000 whereas the XH-1 does everything I want and more.

This is at 1/15 and probably around the f8-f11 mark iirc on a 55/1.8 Super Takumar.

https://flic.kr/p/2hkAE6T

I'd definitely recommend getting a spare battery given the IS uses up energy, though it can be set to kick in only when the shutter buttons pressed for example.

Another new feature on it I really rate is the Acros B&W picture styles for jpgs, incredibly sharp and great contrast if you're not editing RAW in PP.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
KEO wrote:

The little triangle near the base is a "Tower" logo, which is somewhat interesting.

Now that is a nice looking lens.. 😍

I've got a Culmigon 35 and Cassar 50 in the same build and they're so well crafted.

As for the tower, wonder if that was their take on Pentacon's tower and first quality stamp.. 😂

It's the same logo you'll find on old Tower film cameras that used to be sold by Sears in the U.S. Those cameras came from many different manufacturers. There must have been a version with LTM, though I'm no expert on Tower cameras.

I've noticed many other similar Culminars without the Tower logo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a minty Canon 35mm f2 in LTM, complete with a LM adapter and a double ended widget to hold two LM lenses together. Very happy, a new standard lens for my Canon P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 1972 made in West Germany QBM Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/25 dual coated
a 1993 made in West Germany QBM Carl Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/85 single coated

came like new in boxes.... looking at them, they're unused.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

Another new feature on it I really rate is the Acros B&W picture styles for jpgs, …

I saw that too. It's my favourite B&W. I've tried to imitate it by fiddling with the settings on my X-E1, but it's not quite it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Gott23 wrote:

Another new feature on it I really rate is the Acros B&W picture styles for jpgs, …

I saw that too. It's my favourite B&W. I've tried to imitate it by fiddling with the settings on my X-E1, but it's not quite it.

So here's an example of the Acros filter, no PP other than pushing the exposure about a stop. Shot at 800 ISO with a Mamiya Sekor SX 50mm f2 probably around about f/5.6

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Really nice. And on the money by the look of it. Are you familiar with Barnaby Nutt's work with the film version?

https://barnabynutt.com/2018/01/04/nighttime-adventures-in-neopan/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/3092915@N21/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got many things in the past (there's a post with my collection somewhere), and now that the "hunt" has become more select and difficult, I'll share what I'm getting to follow up on my crave for collection...

a nice Konica FM+52 1.4 (looks like photometer is not responding...looked better on the pictures in the ad)

and finally in my price range an OM4T and it came with a 24mm 2.8. what a tiny lens!

[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Super-multi-coated Takumar 4/150mm. Reply with quote

Super-multi-coated Takumar 4/150mm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asahi OPT. CO SMC Pentax-M 40mm 2.8
Tiny thing.
For my fingers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
^^ Really nice. And on the money by the look of it. Are you familiar with Barnaby Nutt's work with the film version?

https://barnabynutt.com/2018/01/04/nighttime-adventures-in-neopan/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/3092915@N21/

👍No not seen that before but it's pretty impressive: night shots are on my ever-growing to do list though.. My go to for B&W PP is alien skin exposure and either using a Kodak Technical Pan or Ilford HP 400 emulation, or a Scala emulation for slightly less contrast. I'll need to check if there's an Acros emulation on it and see how that sizes up against the in camera Acros.

And back on a new lens related note, that's a Voigtlander Super Dynarex F4 135mm in the post in DKL mount.. I figured I was needing another dkl mount to justify having the adapters for it and also the B&W shots I've seen taken with it were oozing contrast. Quite looking forward to trying it.. 😁 That's me until I flog enough ahead of Christmas when that Super Takumar wide angle might be a Christmas present for myself.. 😁

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a nice little set of exakta-mount lenses (and an Exa attached to one of them) at a very reasonable price:

focus ring on the steinheil could use lubrication, and the sun has dust on an internal element (but loots easy enough to clean), all three in good working order otherwise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

And back on a new lens related note, that's a Voigtlander Super Dynarex F4 135mm in the post in DKL mount.. I figured I was needing another dkl mount to justify having the adapters for it and also the B&W shots I've seen taken with it were oozing contrast. Quite looking forward to trying it.. 😁 That's me until I flog enough ahead of Christmas when that Super Takumar wide angle might be a Christmas present for myself.. 😁

I've recently snagged a Schneider Retina-Curtagon 2.8/35mm. As you say. it's a shame to waste the adapter once you have one Wink . It's currently driving me crazy as I can't figure out how to adjust infinity on it. It's normally three screws somewhere inside, but the internet is silent and the lens isn't giving up its secrets either. I'll get there eventually. That's a good idea to try these high contrast lenses for B&W.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
found a nice little set of exakta-mount lenses (and an Exa attached to one of them) at a very reasonable price:

I love my Meritar triplet, also in exacta mount. Nice find Like 1 .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

focus ring on the steinheil could use lubrication, and the sun has dust on an internal element (but loots easy enough to clean), all three in good working order otherwise

Nice. I've got the culmigon in m42 and it's a lovely little thing. So what's the longer focal length one out of the three?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
Nice. I've got the culmigon in m42 and it's a lovely little thing. So what's the longer focal length one out of the three?

Sun Sola 9cm f4, supposedly one of the first japanese third-party made

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two rather "ordinary" Pentax lenses: The Pentax-M 2.8/35mm and the Pentax-M 4/100mm Macro, together with a Pentax Program A SLR. While their focal length and aperture are rather ordinary, i expect them to be decent performers.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

I've been looking for pics taken with the Sola, but aren't many on the net, the price for that lens ain't very cheap either , I understand is a multiblades so probably a nice bokeh. Hope you will share some pics , is it a M39?