Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
Quote:
PK or M42?
Another Tomioka/Cosina Revuenon I suppose.
Haven't tried the f/1.7, but I value the f/1.2 above any other fifty of the same speed I tried, and the f/1.4 (I had no time to properly test it) should be quite good too.
I think you'll enjoy it

The 1.7 is a M42 mount. I can't speak for the 1.2, because I don't own it, but I do have the 1.4 (PK) and that one is better than the 1.7. and one of my favorites.

In the past I have had both the Revuenon 1.7 and 1.4 in M42 mount and they were both excellent.
Apart from the slightly faster aperture, however, I could not find any discernible difference in IQ between the two, and the bokeh from the 1.7 was delicious. I sold the 1.4 and hung onto the 1.7 for a while before letting it go too.
I regret selling it now.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

There was never a Pentax M42 1.2/50mm lens - the M42 mount is too small. One of the several reasons for introducing the PK bayonet was the ability to manufacture large diameter f1.2 lenses.

Not a 50mm, but a 55mm.
The glass of the rear element had a little slice cut out because of the small mouth of the M42 mount.
The almost identical PK mount version has the same rear element (with an easily recognisable shape), but no cut-out.
The Tomioka design is easy to identify because of the way the rear glass looks. This way you can tell the difference from the Cosina one (Revuenon and Porst lenses are not identical). The former Tomioka and the latter Cosina.
I found that Cosina sold under its brand both versions. The Tomioka design was called Cosina, while Cosina's own design was sold as Cosinon-S. Both f/1.2 55mm.
I have both, one is Revuenon and the other Porst, and from my experience, using MY examples -lots of variance in optics of such vintage - the Revuenon/Tomioka beats the Porst hands down.
It might be due to my taste, or to a lens above average... what I know is that it belongs to the same league of the Summicron 2/90mm, for example. There is something special in both lenses, a glow that does not hide the underlying sharpness.
Of course the two optics are different, but I found that at f/2 they have much in common. A a leicophile would call it heresy Smile

EDIT:
The matter of the attribution to either Tomioka or Cosina of 50mm and 55mm lenses is highly controversial.
The only way to support opinions with facts is to find almost identical lenses branded with the name of the original maker, or (in the case of Tomioka) find the siamese twin with the Yashica brand. The same concept applies to early Mamiya lenses. I have a fifty of that brand that is exactly the carbon copy of a Yashinon (which is for sure a Tomioka lens, even if manufactured before the acquisition by Kyocera).
I have seen a typical Tomioka chrome nose lens on a Yashica that predates the M42 line (early Yashinon lenses had a proprietary bayonet mount, completely different from the successive Contax bayonet).
The attribution of Revue and Porst lenses to either Tomioka or Cosina is a complex affair.
I have a 50mm f/1.7 that is practically identical to the Chinon version, which reveals its Tomioka origin.
But it's not always so easy! I have seen an 1.4/55mm MC Revuenon with PK mount, believed to be Tomioka, that has a rubber band on the focusing ring that is very much Cosina-like. I would not be so sure about the attribution without opening the lens and comparing.
Personally I believe that the level of integration between some japanese lens makers was deeper than what most people think, and that such exchanges covered different fields.
I have seen the use of common parts in old preset teles, attributed to Komine, Kino and IIRC also Tokina.
So it wouldn't be a suprise if the two companies co-manufactured some objectives.
Under a practical point of view, as opposed to collector's point of view, the only thing that really matters is to know if a certain lens uses one optical design or another.
For example it would allow you to buy a Porst or a Revuenon, knowing that it's substantially identical to a more expensive Rikenon, and also be aware of what kind of performance to expect from it.
The easiest way to find out is to compare the shape of the rear group.
A complete disassemble of the optics would give a more accurate answer.
I have seen on Ebay a curvometer (to measure the curvature of a lens) for quite cheap... Smile Smile

Last edited by cyberjunkie on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 13.5cm F4, uncoated and uncoupled. Leica mount.

Canon 13.5cm F4_3 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Cleaned up quite well, disassembled, relubed, cleaned all of the glass surfaces. This lens is from late 1947, one of the first marked "Canon".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Minolta md 45/2 with both caps for less than ~8$ flea market lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100mm f2.8 Trioplan in Exakta mount

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 second version (4 elements) incoming. I already have the first 5 element version, so I can compare the two. Gotta stop this..... (from Etsy by the way).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A zoom (sorry), just because it was only ten pounds on Ebay and I needed a mate for the 35-105 3.5 Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Maxxum 24-105 f3,5-4,5
Record price on this particular flea market - $30.-
Still has no chance to test it on my Sony A7R2.
Any opinions on this lens, if some one has the same?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
Minolta Maxxum 24-105 f3,5-4,5
Record price on this particular flea market - $30.-
Still has no chance to test it on my Sony A7R2.
Any opinions on this lens, if some one has the same?

I've been using it occasionally on the A900 (24MP FF). Not stellar wide open, but cleary up a lot at f11. Nice small travel lens for the mountains - for landscape at f11!

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD-III 28mm f3.5 Surprisingly stable in a flash. (£ 30 with delivery from good old Britain )

Last edited by sergun on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML 35mm f2.8
I don't have an Contax/Yashica adapter for my Fuji and I think that the XT10 is to small for this kind of adapted lenses anyway.
but it looked so nice so I couldn't leave it in the store 😊good price too 20 euros.
I'll try to sell it for profit or keep it I might get the right camera for it in the future...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 35mm f/1,9 m42 with mint optics
Minolta MD 28mm f/2,8 III

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
Yashica ML 35mm f2.8

It is - like several other relatively "modern" 2.8/35mm vintage lenses - a very solid performer. The lens is quite similar in its general character to the Minolta MC/MD 2.8/35mm [5/5] or the Sony Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/35mm.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina 90mm 2.5 in MD-mount with adapter, hood and case

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon RCA TV lens 3.5" f1.5 - special projection lens for format conversion with iris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Canon RCA TV lens 3.5" f1.5 - special projection lens for format conversion with iris

I saw this too. I may have bought it if I have extra space for new lenses. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: APO Telezenitar 135mm Reply with quote

Just got the Apo Telezenitar I showed in a previous post on this thread.
Unfortunately it seems that the blades are blocked fully closed because of some mechanical failure.
There seems to be no oil sticking to the blades, it looks like the spring is either broken or disengaged.
The auto pin is loose, and there is no A/M switch, so the failure seem to be related to the mechanism that keeps the blades open.
Anyone with some experience in this field?
I don't think late "auto" soviet lenses with no switch have huge differences one from the other.
I'd like to avoid to open what's not supposed to be opened.
For example there are three screws on the back, at the perimeter, plus two other screws that are close one to the other.
Any guidance on which screws to remove and which are better left alone would be appreciated.
It is an uncommon high performance lens, new old stock. It doesn't have a fingerprint...
I'd like to take extra care and make no mistakes.
Never opened a lens like this, normally I leave the most valuable objectives to the care of my friend/repairman, who's hundred times better than me doing this kind of things...
Unfortunately I am thousands Km. away Sad If I want to use the lens at f stops larger than f/22 I have to work on this lens by myself

Any advice would be super appreciated
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC02159 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better copy of the Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm F2.8

The one on the left

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently bought the 11-22mm EF-M lens and have not used it extensively yet, but some early tests indicate that it is noticeably sharper than the 18-55 EF-M at the centre, and significantly sharper nearer the edges.

reciprocating saw

Last edited by DanaWhite on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FED 50 3.5 collapsible in LTM39.

I'm currently going through the "bloody hell it's sharp in the middle" and "isn't it small" phase. Once I have something meaningful to say I'll post a pic, as I bought it specifically to go on my new used Fujifilm x-e1 and it does look quite groovy on it, although I suspect any comment I can make has been said before.

As a side note, I always buy within the U.K, even if I can see a better deal elsewhere. However with the FED, I purchased from a dealer in Estonia. The item arrived within 4 working days of ordering, was well packaged and generally as described. I say generally, as it had atomised lubricant colonising one face of an internal element, although this was only obvious through a loupe, and was a 5 minute job to clean up. Ironically I had also bought an Industar 50 3.5 in M42 from a U.K seller and have been roundly stiffed. I'm still trying to get it returned to an uncommunicative seller.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC02245 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

next photos are taken by Sony a7 with T-22 (from Смена)

DSC02255 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

DSC02250 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1955 Leica 9cm F4 Elmar, advertised with "Debris" in the lens. $43.

Elmar 9cm F4 Teardown by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Elmar 9cm F4 Teardown by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Removing the front element is easier with the later Elmars. Debris was black paint from the front element's rim, flaking off.

Without the debris and haze on the inner elements,

Elmar 9cm F4 (coated) Test by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Much Better!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the last of my lba spree:

Nice and compact Pentax-m 200mm f4 my Pentax-M primes collection now is 20-28(3.5)-40-50(1.7)-135-200

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these back in the 80's and shot a lot of Velvia with it and the R4SP camera. Very handy focal length. Focus to 4 mtrs is not good but a 25mm extension tube helps a lot.