Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shots with the Pentax K28/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Shots with the Pentax K28/3.5 Reply with quote

I've shunned the 28mm for quite a while on digital, perhaps I got 'burnt out' by it being the widest lens I had for film.
With digital, 24mm seems the new 28mm as the wide option and I never got to getting/using a 28mm much.

But if a lens can inspire me to re-learn how to use one, the Pentax K28/3.5 has got to be it.

Shot with A7K (Kolari modified)

20151118-DSC08102 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Raleigh, Sky and Mono by jenkwang, on Flickr

20151118-DSC08081-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinholecam...Absolutely breathtaking shots,Canikon users often derided us Pentax followers but am I glad I have kept my 60+Pentax gems and I believe when Pentax FF arrives the prices will rise...slightly, Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #1 and #3, but #2 is also beautiful.
I have to use mine more!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are ridiculously excellent.
Its not the lens of course, however good that one is, its the photographer.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with 28mm, its just a different frame and plenty wide for a normal-looking picture, as you have shown.

24mm on FF or film starts getting into the very obviously wide-angle view. Which is fine, but back in the day this was a very specialized sort of look, and definitely not normal. There weren't a lot of 24mm or wider lenses selling in the great days of film, even for pro news and street photographers, which is reflected in present day availability. There are however piles and piles of 28mm's.

Try shoot a group photo with a 28mm vs a 24mm on a film camera. You will end up stepping back with the 24mm to get more space on the sides so as to get a normal look, and crop the final result. One might as well use a 28mm or even a 35mm - and I have had and used my favorite Pentax K 24mm for decades.

28mm only became sub-optimal with crop sensors. On FF digital its a very different matter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shots with the Pentax K28/3.5 Reply with quote

pinholecam wrote:
But if a lens can inspire me to re-learn how to use one, the Pentax K28/3.5 has got to be it.

Your pix (especially the first and the third) remind me of just how good a lens the K 28/3.5 is (second only to the K 28/2 for Pentax 28's, IMHO).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens, more importantly great photographs!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely.

http://stans-photography.info/LongComments.html#28 mm f/3.5 Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Is it a significant IQ difference between K28/3.5 and M28/3.5? K version is rare and a higher price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

great photos but picture #2 what is that in the clouds directly over top the handle bars on the bicycle. it looks like a giant bug in the clouds. maybe and airplane just wondering. nice images

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

rockycarter wrote:
great photos but picture #2 what is that in the clouds directly over top the handle bars on the bicycle. it looks like a giant bug in the clouds. maybe and airplane just wondering. nice images

Click on the photo and then use the "+" cursor to blow up the image. It is a helicopter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement.

Kryss, for me, there is this very good size, build quality and nice performance that makes the Pentax lenses a joy to use.

luisalegria wrote:
These are ridiculously excellent.
Its not the lens of course, however good that one is, its the photographer.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with 28mm, its just a different frame and plenty wide for a normal-looking picture, as you have shown.

24mm on FF or film starts getting into the very obviously wide-angle view. Which is fine, but back in the day this was a very specialized sort of look, and definitely not normal. There weren't a lot of 24mm or wider lenses selling in the great days of film, even for pro news and street photographers, which is reflected in present day availability. There are however piles and piles of 28mm's.

Try shoot a group photo with a 28mm vs a 24mm on a film camera. You will end up stepping back with the 24mm to get more space on the sides so as to get a normal look, and crop the final result. One might as well use a 28mm or even a 35mm - and I have had and used my favorite Pentax K 24mm for decades.

28mm only became sub-optimal with crop sensors. On FF digital its a very different matter.

Indeed, I have the same thoughts about the 24mm and 28mm.
I also live in a very urban (packed) environment and perhaps thats why folks here often prefer 24mm or wider.

rockycarter wrote:

Its a helicopter.
An Apache in fact.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that is amazing. that is a really and excellent lens perfect timing. I really like that photo. thank you for sharing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Like 1

Is it a significant IQ difference between K28/3.5 and M28/3.5? K version is rare and a higher price.

The K is a 9 element monster and pricey, while the M is a small 5//5 lens. (IIRC)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:

edri wrote:

The K is a 9 element monster and pricey, while the M is a small 5//5 lens. (IIRC)

You recalled approximately correctly... - Smile - The K 28/3.5 is a (longer) 8 elements in 7 groups lens, while the M 28/3.5 is a (shorter) 6 elements in 6 groups lens.

Now, if you did want to discuss a "9 element monster" that is indeed quite "pricey", you could bring up the K 28/2, a 9 elements in 8 groups lens that is longer than a number of Pentax tele lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax K 28mm f3.5 is one of the truly great 28mm lenses of all time. An outrageous boast I know, but true. Try one and see for yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
The Pentax K 28mm f3.5 is one of the truly great 28mm lenses of all time. An outrageous boast I know, but true. Try one and see for yourself.

The K 28/3.5 is certainly one of the best bargains out there, too -- good copies are not overly common on the market, but they often go for not much more than $100 USD, and sometimes for even less.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarifications. Basically K and M are two different lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh 1
Thanks for the correction!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning results! I suspect that it's the skill of the photographer more than the inherent quality of the lens - although good tools certainly help.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful pictures, it's obviously a great lens - but the photographer has to have the skill to get the best out of it.