Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Trioplan 2.9/50 or Carl Zeiss Tessar 2.8/50?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Meyer Trioplan 2.9/50 or Carl Zeiss Tessar 2.8/50? Reply with quote

Hello.

I've got a Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.9/50mm that I love the bubble bokeh, but to achieve the best of that effect I need to shoot wide open. I find it a bit too soft at f/2.9

Now I'm looking at the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 Silver
It looks very similar to the Meyer Optik (the bokeh and the lens body itself).
Does anyone know which of the two is sharper wide open?
Even if difference is not so big, does anyone had tried both and came to any conclusion?

Since there are several versions of the Carl Zeiss (zebra, silver (normal and small) and black) do they perform different regarding sharpness?

Thank's.

Last edited by jrsilva on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post picture of your lens? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Can you post picture of your lens? Thanks.

I don't have any picture of My Meyer Optik with me, but is is just like this one (except for the black paint outside the first ring):

http://allphotolenses.com/public/files/img/64d0c8d46e1320fa72223ea60b91fb97.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that my copy of Tessar 50mm f/2.8 is slightly sharper than the 50mm Trioplan. It is a Exa mount silver version from 1950-1960.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
I believe that my copy of Tessar 50mm f/2.8 is slightly sharper than the 50mm Trioplan. It is a Exa mount silver version from 1950-1960.

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm trying to decide if I pull the trigger for a Tessar 2.8/50 Silver version 12 blades in Altix mount...
There's one good thing for macro shoots: minimum focus distance is only 0,35 mt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't really get the effect you are looking for with the tessar, ather try the cassarit 50mm 2.8. There are quite a few mount types available.

As far as I know its the same triplet design, I have the trioplan and agree with you its not very sharp, I've had better experiences with the cassarit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
You won't really get the effect you are looking for with the tessar, ather try the cassarit 50mm 2.8. There are quite a few mount types available.

Do you mean, I won't get bubble bokeh like the Trioplan?

I saw these samples and they look very similar to the Trioplan:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chribille/21098194352/in/photolist-y9nL8A-bKY52B-5uXAmm-nP9jkF-ofqfFX-8oLNEy-8oJe1H-sFZrst-5vGhLL-hw5HNE-prLw9e-oJKjvM-9ZHKAw-qrFL4U-xnuPhu-rW87Zv-8oMmju-8oJ2Nx-8oLR2Y-8oJ17X-rCHVhm-9iM9JU-icq9xg-5vUz2S-ecoT7D-tdvCqn-ysNtpr-9ZFFAo-tdvAgn-9jZqBZ-9jZqsx-9t3Wr9-ebXVbs-bZSwUf-bUXSFn-tuSXfF-qkRrwr-hw78Ht-9ZogHi-fu5eg6-rCr5EW-9jHpRe-cfgPTb-qCvpao-yr9rqQ-sCaYcJ-o5nksJ-fwAwxg-dT32qN-twfjkM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chribille/20590328424/in/photolist-xnuPhu-rW87Zv-8oMmju-8oJ2Nx-8oLR2Y-8oJ17X-rCHVhm-9iM9JU-icq9xg-5vUz2S-ecoT7D-tdvCqn-ysNtpr-9ZFFAo-tdvAgn-9jZqBZ-9jZqsx-9t3Wr9-ebXVbs-bZSwUf-bUXSFn-tuSXfF-qkRrwr-hw78Ht-9ZogHi-fu5eg6-rCr5EW-9jHpRe-cfgPTb-qCvpao-yr9rqQ-sCaYcJ-o5nksJ-fwAwxg-dT32qN-twfjkM-5uXCRQ-sqi56A-qPV7Sc-rBjknb-rTT81v-rBqRok-rzyiue-qWThuu-rzyj3D-qX5ZRe-qWThoY-rTT82T-rwMEXT-rPE3EQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have also seen quite a few images with the tessar that show similar bohek, I never really manged to replicate it on the tessar lenses I used, it just wasnt as exaggerated as the trioplan and cassarit.

http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-with-bokeh-like-meyer-trioplan-100-2-8-t69119.html

This is quite a good thread on the subject, it's how I found out about the cassarit, I sold the trioplan lens off after that

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
Yeah I have also seen quite a few images with the tessar that show similar bohek, I never really manged to replicate it on the tessar lenses I used, it just wasnt as exaggerated as the trioplan and cassarit.

http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-with-bokeh-like-meyer-trioplan-100-2-8-t69119.html

This is quite a good thread on the subject, it's how I found out about the cassarit, I sold the trioplan lens off after that

Thank you for the info and link Wink
Yes, the Cassarit bokeh looks gorgeous.
But I can't found it on any of the usual places for old lenses on my country, and there is only one unit on ebay.co.uk that looks a bit damaged...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the direct link for kds315* images using the lens

The Steinheil Cassarit 2.8/50mm: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157647927267742/

I got lucky with mine and found it on a broken Braun rangefinder for cheap, remember most of the 80mm and 10mm projector lenses are the same triplet design and those can be had for cheap it you want to do some experimenting, I've found quite a few that produce the bubble like bohek.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here one image with my Tessar:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:

I got lucky with mine and found it on a broken Braun rangefinder for cheap...

After seeing the photos Klaus(Kds315) posted I've got one on a Braun camera on ebay, as well. It was cheaper than to get only the lens.
Klaus may be guilty for the increase of the price for this lens Smile .
Nice lens, not only the rendering but quite well made, too. I've mounted mine on a helicoid for closer focussing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Here one image with my Tessar:

Great!
That's what I'm looking for.
But is it sharper than the Trioplan 2.9/50 ?
And, what version of the Tessar do you have?

Last edited by jrsilva on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Layer-cake wrote:

After seeing the photos Klaus(Kds315) posted I've got one on a Braun camera on ebay, as well. It was cheaper than to get only the lens.
Nice lens, not only the rendering but quite well made, too. I've mounted mine on a helicoid for closer focussing.

Thank you.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is that helicoid thing?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:

You can see focussing helicoids here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xhelicoid.TRS0&_nkw=helicoid&_sacat=625

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
jrsilva wrote:

You can see focussing helicoids here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xhelicoid.TRS0&_nkw=helicoid&_sacat=625

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Layer-cake wrote:

Well, I use the Cassarit since quite long as it a quite sharp lens, and I like Steinheil lenses anyway a lot.
This series was to try and see if it would be able to produce the typical triplet bokeh, and it did not disappoint.
Unfortunately it has indeed gone up quite a bit in price... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:

Great!

This version: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1853.html
I have no Trioplan to compare. My Tessar is sharp enough for me.
But you have to keep in mind that for the 50mm lenses it is difficult to match distances so that you get a sharp and clear subject and also the wanted bubble bokeh. A longer focal is more appropriate. For the photo I posted previously I only tested the bokeh, I have not had any constraint in terms of the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
jrsilva wrote:

Great!

But you have to keep in mind that for the 50mm lenses it is difficult to match distances so that you get a sharp and clear subject and also the wanted bubble bokeh. A longer focal is more appropriate. For the photo I posted previously I only tested the bokeh, I have not had any constraint in terms of the subject.

Thank you.
The lens I'm trying to decide if I purchase or not is similar to yours, but it is an Altix mount version.
Here are some pictures of it:

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
jrsilva wrote:

Great!

My Trioplan is mounted on a micro 4/3 camera, so the lens act like a 100mm equivalent on full frame format.
50mm is long enough to isolate the subject and get the background out of focus.
To get the characteristic bubble bokeh is still not an easy task if we don't get highlights on the backround.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to pull the trigger and I'm now a proud owner of a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 Silver version, 12 blade with preset.

To answer my own question, I've made a few quick tests shots side by side with the Meyer Optic Trioplan 2.8/50 (both lenses wide open at f/2.8 and then closed down to f/5.6).
I like the Carl Zeiss the most.
At f/2.8 the Carl Zeiss is marginally sharper (at first glace there's no difference in sharpness), but contrast is better.
On the Trioplan wide open there's a white halo around the edges of the objects in the frame.
On the other hand, on the Tessar that halo it's very subtle.
Also, the Tessar can focus at 35 cm and the Trioplan only at around 50 - 60 cm.
Overall I like the Tessar the most.

I will post pictures later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same dilemma recently. I have 2 Kine exakta Tessars and Kine and regular Trioplan, and I much prefer it. Selling one Tessar keeping the other minty one.
I find that the bubbles are fairly close, but the sharpness and contrast are better on the Tessar. It also feels nicer and has slightly swirly bokeh. I think you made the right choice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your Tessar. I bought four Altix lenses, three Trioplans and a Tessar. One of the Trioplans was bad - had been tampered with. The two Trioplans and the Tessar were all excellent and little if any difference can be seen between them.