Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tiny Specs on Front Optic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Tiny Specs on Front Optic Reply with quote

I recently got a Minolta MC W. Rokkor-X SI, 24mm f2.8 lens and am trying to identify the cause of some damage on the front optic. The lens is in almost mint condition and I suspect it spent most of its life, front optic exposed, in the clear plastic bubble case I found it in. But the front optic has a galaxy of little speckles on the exterior surface:

These specs resemble dust but cannot be removed with cloth, a dust blower, or even with some mild cleaning solution. They also feel as if they are etched into the front optic itself, as the surface is very slightly rough when I run my finger over it. The rest of the optics are perfectly clear.

Under a microscope, each spec almost appears to be a little bubble. I don't see the characteristic threads that would immediately mark it as fungus. Here's a crude video of two of the spots magnified: https://youtu.be/yDAypnbb4qs

Any idea what this damage is or what could have caused this? Coating damage of some sort perhaps? Or fungus?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly damage to the coating, maybe sparks from fireworks or welding. I've seen a lens ruined / sacrificed by someone photographing sparks from an industrial grinder, but the damage was huge - a lot worse that your lens. ( He was using a broken Canon kit zoom lens to get a particular picture. ) but it wouldn't take much in the way of sparks to melt into lens coating.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar, caused by some sort of acid etching which had damaged teh coating.
Shoudl actually not have a visible impact on the resulting images.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could put it under a microscope or take a close-up with a 1:1 macro and have a closer look. Could be many things, including speckles of spray paint...