Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor SX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor SX Reply with quote

No too much information about adapting these lenses.
Mine, (55mm f/1.8 and 135mm f/2.8 ) came along with the Mamiya DSX1000B.
Being M42 mount, I thought it should'nt be difficult to adapt. What wrong I was!

When I first placed one on the M42-NX adapter, (for other adapters would be the same), I was unable fully screw it in, remaining a few millimeters from the adapter base.

The aperture ring was built at the same level that the lens base. It sports a pin to pass the aperture info to the camera body. This pin avoids to fully screw in the lens on the adapter.

As you may know, I'm strongly reluctant to do irreversible changes on all the old good lenses. This time I've done an exception, I removed the pin. (Anyway, the DSX1000B died long ago and if necessary the pin can be put back in place with a drop of loctite, so I don't consider it "irreversible". I'd like to have found a less intrusive solution.)

Once the pin removed, I was able to fully screw the lens inside the adapter. When trying to turn the aperture ring, I notices it was stuck and I was unable to move it. Unscrewing a little, I noticed there was a protruding down flange around the lens base, and also there was some friction between the aperture ring and the adapter.

First idea was to file down the flange, but this would be unrecoverable, so I discarded that. On the other hand, it would'nt have solved the issue, since the friction between the aperture ring base and the adapter base would still exist.

As you may know, nowadays most of the adapters are built in two pieces, one fixed part and a moveable part that allows to rotate the mount to be aligned with the top of the cam:

So I thought in modifying the adapter, filing down the fixed part. This way the register distance would'nt be affected (the moveable part doesn'nt change). So I filed it down for some one millimeter.

On both the NX100 and NX210, the 55mm lens nicely fits and the aperture ring turns like a charm.

Not the 135mm, that has a bigger flange. I'll have to keep filing down.... Sad

Some quick shots that show the potential of this lens: very little (if any) chromatic aberrations, sharp from 1.8, nice bokeh...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Jes.

Mamiya lenses produces images with great character in general.
The alternative would be to get this EOS adapter:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/171502461500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

I have two 55 1.4 SX lenses, with first one I filed down the edges which I don't like to do... then I realised that there is the thin adapter for Sony /NEX cameras with which it's not necessary.

I am not sure if this one would work for you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Objektivadapter-passend-zu-M42-Gewinde-auf-Samsung-NX-Serie-Adapter-NEU-/280855540358?clk_rvr_id=936722280804&rmvSB=true

Cheers,
Rado

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I now see that you sorted it out. Great, have a fun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!
I still have ~5-7 lenses without a proper adapter, but mine is very common (55mm, 28mm, 135mm..)

Please let me now if an adapter for nex is available.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great jobs.

FYI, there are ready-made adapter available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171502461500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to spend $30 for that adapter unless you also have Fujinon lenses too.

I bought a correct M42-NEX adapter for my SX lenses from ebay and was under $8 USD. Using it with my 135mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/2.

The end is a little narrower than the other generic M42 adapters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:
Hiya,

I have two 55 1.4 SX lenses, with first one I filed down the edges which I don't like to do... then I realised that there is the thin adapter for Sony /NEX cameras with which it's not necessary.

I am not sure if this one would work for you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Objektivadapter-passend-zu-M42-Gewinde-auf-Samsung-NX-Serie-Adapter-NEU-/280855540358?clk_rvr_id=936722280804&rmvSB=true

Cheers,
Rado

Is the diameter of this adapter small enough that the aperture ring can overlap and thus turn freely ?
I have a similar adapter for MFT ( brand Kiwi) but it has no flange to push the pin which closes the aperture of M42 lenses. Is it the case with this adapter for Nex ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your comments. It seems that I rediscovered the wheel Wink

@StingOM: You are right, for the Canon mount the adapter you mention looks really nice and it should support all the M42 lenses (besides the SX and Fujinon) so it may be a good option for the Canon EF owners.

@radissimo77: The adapter you mention probably wouldn't work for the SX lenses. I've gotten some other Kiwi adapters and even being really well built they are too wide for this case.

@hoanpham: Sorry to say I haven't found any. Then this mod would be useful. Those you mention, even common, are very good lenses.

@Tao: Yes, but only for the Canon EF mount. I haven't found any for the NX or NEX mount yet.

@WNG555: Could you please post some link?. I haven't been able to find it...

@Luisalegria: Thanks Luis!

@memetph: You are right, usually the diameter of the KIWI lenses is bigger than needed here...

I've been filing down the adapter further until I've arrived to the screw holes. Not enough for the 135mm lens. The flange is much bigger than the one in the 55mm lens. So a different approach is needed.

What I'm thinking of is to print an adapter on my 3D printer. Unfortunately I had a problem with the extruder and it's damaged. I'm waiting for some parts to fix it, (a new nozzle and heating element). In the meantime, I'll try the design on the 3D CAD modeller I use (FreeCAD).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one at Amazon for the NEX.

http://www.amazon.com/Bokkeh-Adapter-E-mount-Version-Fujinon/dp/B011E9UC3K

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-Lens-to-Sony-E-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-6-NEX-7-VG10-5N-5C-Adapter-Adjustable-CAP-/321031193865?hash=item4abef34509:g:SEgAAMXQLw1Ryu7D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jes. I will try these lenses when I got the adapter Smile

Thank you WNG555. Do you have this adapter?

just wonder if it allows infinity if I adjust to match mamiya lenses.
A normal m42 lens would have infinity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-Lens-to-Sony-E-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-6-NEX-7-VG10-5N-5C-Adapter-Adjustable-CAP-/321031193865?hash=item4abef34509:g:SEgAAMXQLw1Ryu7D

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

You shouldn't have any problem if the adapter diameter is small enough. The pin that sends the aperture information to the camera body is near the outer flange and is very short.

I'm going to try one of these... (they are quite cheap).
Done!. (Estimated delivery date: between dec 10th and jan 15th... )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a M42 adapter on ebay (the brand was Pixco) that is a bit narrower so it fits inside the raised outer rim of the SX lenses without modifications. Your fix looks excellent!

Last edited by JJB on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJB wrote:
I got a M42 adapter on ebay (the brand was Pixco) that is a bit wider so the SX lenses fits inside the raised edge without modifications. Your fix looks excellent!

Nice to know the Pixco adater also fits, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

Yes, I have this adapter. I bought it for the removable ring, for my large S-M-C Takumars where the lever interferes.
I was very happy to discover it works with my SX lenses.
And infinity is fine with it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks.
Just ordered one Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some news:
Playing with my modded adapter, I've found out that the infinity mark goes beyond infinity. To reach infinity I have to adjust the lens a bit before the mark.
I've to try adding some shims to the fixed part to get infinity on the mark. This may solve the problem with the 135mm. I cannot keep filing the adapter because I'm just on top of the screw holes, but if I can grow the inner part, it will work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
There is no need to spend $30 for that adapter unless you also have Fujinon lenses too.

Hi everybody, sorry to bring up an old post, but I was wondering if anybody had experiences with both Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses and vintage Fujinon M42 ones. Both series have their own protruding tab/pin to communicate with their film cameras about the aperture setting.

My question is: do you know if one can use Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses on Fujica film camera bodies without any modifications?

I know the special adapter for mirrorless cameras is the same for Mamiya/Sekor SX and Fujinon lenses, but I have a Fujica film camera and would like to try the Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses.

Thank you guys in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanhasgotqi wrote:

Hi everybody, sorry to bring up an old post, but I was wondering if anybody had experiences with both Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses and vintage Fujinon M42 ones. Both series have their own protruding tab/pin to communicate with their film cameras about the aperture setting.

My question is: do you know if one can use Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses on Fujica film camera bodies without any modifications?

I know the special adapter for mirrorless cameras is the same for Mamiya/Sekor SX and Fujinon lenses, but I have a Fujica film camera and would like to try the Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses.

Yes – I just tried a Mamiya SX fitting lens (actually a Vivitar TX with SX mount) on a Fujica AZ-1, and it screws on normally with no issues, and even locks into position. However... the Fuji and Mamiya meter couplings are in slightly different positions. They do engage, but the meter readings will be inaccurate.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heritagecameras wrote:

Yes – I just tried a Mamiya SX fitting lens (actually a Vivitar TX with SX mount) on a Fujica AZ-1, and it screws on normally with no issues, and even locks into position. However... the Fuji and Mamiya meter couplings are in slightly different positions. They do engage, but the meter readings will be inaccurate.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. That's what I was hoping to know - if the meter coupling system works for Mamiya SX lenses. Guess it's not going to be reliable. Much appreciated!