Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexaron AR 21mm f2.8 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Konica Hexaron AR 21mm f2.8 lens Reply with quote

Went to a dusk walk with the lens and the Sony A7R. It was almost dark, so I have increased the brightness. The vignetting is heavy even the hood is Konica original.
I heard that the lens is rare, and am not sure whether I have brought out the potential of it (learning, still Wink). looks like the lens loves bright light. Will post more when I have chance to take pictures in strong light.

This picture was taken with X1.

Last edited by cellotone on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog I love this lens vignetting is big surprise

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Happy Dog I love this lens vignetting is big surprise

Yah, I don't understand why. Will try under the sunlight. I saw your pictures taken with this lens they don't show vignetting.

Thanks Attila!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fast super-wides might show significant vignetting at WO. Most of the vignetting are outside the sensor of a APS-C crop camera.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try any test shots without the hood?
Besides the vignetting, lens is superb.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Most fast super-wides might show significant vignetting at WO. Most of the vignetting are outside the sensor of a APS-C crop camera.

I think it was set at f5.6 (was set on f2.8, forgot to set back?) Will try again later. Thank you for the information!

Last edited by cellotone on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Did you try any test shots without the hood?
Besides the vignetting, lens is superb.

Haven't tried yet. I also didn't use a filter. I did take shots in bright light, didn't see that heavy vignetting. But the apeture probably was smaller (f8?).

Thanks! Friends

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the images, I also have this lens but I have no full frame camera to use it on yet. I think that the results are very promising as the image quality looks great. That vignetting looks weird and I hope that there is a reason and a solution for it. I don't think it is the hood, but that is easy to remove and try. Also try shooting WO and stop down a few steps and see when/if the lens stops wignetting. If it doesn't then something probably is wrong. It could be the adapter, do you know someone who owns another adapter from a different manufacturer?

You results are so impressive that I would definitely try to find a resolution to the vignetting problem!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 21/4 doesn't vignette that bad, even WO...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/15509684554/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
It could be the adapter, do you know someone who owns another adapter from a different manufacturer?

Thank you for your kind comment. It's a great idea that to test the vignetting with different apertures, I will shoot on the wall tomorrow. The adapter came with the lens, obviously, it's an inexpensive product. Thank you for bringing attention to it. I'll try another one to see what will happen.

Thanks!l

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much vignetting in the previous images that you posted, strange!

http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-ar-21-2-8-on-full-frame-anyone-t72723,highlight,%2Bhexanon.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible reason for the vignetting is the hood. Konica made three such hoods: for 35mm, for 24-28mm and for 21mm. The relevant indication is engraved on the underside of the hood. I can't tell for sure, but I suspect yours might be the 24-28mm one. Just an idea.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 20mm f4 has no hood as such, rather a rectangular cut out in what to all other intents is a lens cap.
It is the 'official' Konica issue that came with the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21mm you mean?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
One possible reason for the vignetting is the hood. Konica made three such hoods: for 35mm, for 24-28mm and for 21mm. The relevant indication is engraved on the underside of the hood. I can't tell for sure, but I suspect yours might be the 24-28mm one. Just an idea.

The hood for 21mm is a bit shorter on the front than the 24-28mm. The one show here is the correct one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the hood isn't pushed all the way in?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
My 20mm f4 has no hood as such, rather a rectangular cut out in what to all other intents is a lens cap.
It is the 'official' Konica issue that came with the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions!

These two taken before show the vignetting difference between different apertures. The #1 is f5.6, and #2 is f8 (if my memory is correct). It looks like the vignetting is gone after f8. Will try adjust (push-in) the hood on the lens, couldn't see gap between hood and lens. Thank you for the reminder.

The hood is a 21mm hood. I also will try to shoot with out the hood to see if it's a lens issue.

Thank you again! Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The hood is a 21mm hood. If that's an "official issue" probably it only could be used after f8"

You have the correct hood. Why do you think that the hood can only be used after f8? Have you tried the lens with and without the hood at f4 (for example) and noticed that the lens vignettes more with the hood than without?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
"The hood is a 21mm hood. If that's an "official issue" probably it only could be used after f8"

You have the correct hood. Why do you think that the hood can only be used after f8? Have you tried the lens with and without the hood at f4 (for example) and noticed that the lens vignettes more with the hood than without?

I just had edited my post (probably at the same time you quote it). I was thinking if the hood could cause the vignetting problem with apertures (??) ? If it's not, the problem would be from the lens itself. Will do both: with and without the hood. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vignetting caused by the hood won't disappear when you stop down the lens. If my memory is correct, the vignetting becomes more serious when stopped down if the hood is the caused the of the vignetting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all:

The camera setting was wrong after I checked it, the "picture effect" was on. I turned it to "OFF", and taken some shots with and with out the hood. Everything is fine (light vignetting at f2.8 & 4). It totally was my fault. I truly appreciate your help in resolving the problem. Smile

Without hood:
2 f2.8

@ f4

@ f5.6

@ f8

@ f11

@ f16

With Hood on:
@ f2.8

@ f4

@ f5.6

@ f8