Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 50mm 8 element initial tests......
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Takumar 50mm 8 element initial tests...... Reply with quote

Not super sharp at maximum aperture but usable and rather free from aberrations.
It gives color, sharpness and contrast comparable to Sony 50mm f1.4
I'll compare it to the SMC Takumar 50mm later
The pictures taken with f1.4

Last edited by Zeeke on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resized the pictures wrong again so they don't look sharp att all,,,,,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look really nice on my Samsung Galaxy 9 inch tablet (which is really a nice screen, brighter and sharper than ipad retina 3). Plenty sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh of this version is slightly disturbing for my taste. It would be interesting to see shots at f2.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice examples Zeeke!

memetph wrote:
The bokeh of this version is slightly disturbing for my taste. It would be interesting to see shots at f2.

I think the subject matter affects the smooth bokeh of this lens. Look at portions of images where subjects have soft corners -- the parts with sharp-cornered linear subjects, such as lancet leaves, make for a busy disturbing bokeh here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Like Dog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I think this lens is going to give me some fun....Smile
I had hoped it would be a little bit sharper wide open I had a good sample of the S-M-C takumar that I think was a little better in that regard but with more ca.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Nice examples. Sharpness is more than good enough if I look at the portrait. Your mentioned Sony (Minolta) lens is most probably superior. Would be at least an interesting comparison. Wink

Your lens was introduced 1964 and just one year later the 7-elements Super-Takumar was introduced (1965), which is one of my favorite lenses for it's bokeh rendering.

Actually I have compared quite intensely both lenses (pictures on internet) and didn't really detect much differences. Though, some folks prefer your version and others mine.

I simply bought mine several years ago because it was cheaply available. At this time I didn't even know that there are different versions in existence. Wink

However, just out of curiosity it would be nice to know why Asahi have redesigned the lens so quickly and left the later version for apprx. 6 years unchanged.
Most probably nobody will know it these days anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, just out of curiosity it would be nice to know why Asahi have redesigned the lens so quickly and left the later version for apprx. 6 years unchanged.

"They" (internet rumor - no "real" source that I know of, but I would love to see) do say it was because of the cost associated with making the 8-element. Something about the cemented triplet being tricky/expensive to manufacturer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

"They" (internet rumor - no "real" source that I know of, but I would love to see) do say it was because of the cost associated with making the 8-element. Something about the cemented triplet being tricky/expensive to manufacturer.

They also say Asahi lost $ on every 1:1.4/50.

Gerjan Von Oosten says (on pp 112 of The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screwmount Guide 1952-1977, UITGEVERI JANSZ) that 8-element lens was "followed by a newly designed lens that yielded better sharpness and a higher image contrast than its predecessor."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information.

I like it anyway. That's for sure a lens I would never give away, though it's "only" the 7 elements model. Or should I rather say "fortunately" instead of "only"? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd shot, the one of your daughter is stunning.

I do have concerns about the bokeh though, which is why I have shy away from buying one and still using the A50/1.4 which is the 7 element based design.

Congrats on the lens.
That 2nd pict does make me want to get one. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I have owned all the Pentax fast 50 and the A was very good,the newest af Fa 50 I liked the least, unfortunately the Pentax K is not adaptable to my Sony a99.
I think it's fun and pure pleasure to se how good these older lenses still are in the digital era.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold this Takumar 50 but when recently one appeared at a good price I could not resist the temptation to buy it.
This sample is sharper wide open than the lens i had before and better than the 10th of s-m-c takumar 50 I have owned ...

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoolah, those images rock!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful lens and you have used it well.
Thanks
Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
It's a really nice lens but bokeh is busy wide open,that is fine for flowers but not so much in portraits.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the results from your lens!