Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wide angle lens from the 1970s - Your thoughts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Wide angle lens from the 1970s - Your thoughts? Reply with quote

Here are some samples of a relatively budget wide angle lens from the 1970s. I would like to hear some opinions from the fellow members. How do you think about the color, bokeh or other quantity of this lens? Please forget about the sharpness: these photos are taken at relatively slow shutter speed in a cloudy day.

Photos are processed with the exact setting to my other posts in this section.

#1

#2

#3

#4

#5

#6

#7

#8

#9


Thanks for viewing and all the comments! Smile


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eye these images are extraordinarily good in all three departments.
Colour and sharpness are very impressive indeed.
Hard to believe it is from a budget lens that is that old.
OH


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite contrasty for a cloudy day?


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@OH
It is relatively budget as there are more expensive lenses for the camera system it designed for.

@bernhardas
I pick only the photos with more colors.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the 70s very well. It was a time for new invention and import of gadgets from the East; HiFi, Digital Watches, Calculators and tons of Photo/Cine equipment.

The 70s brought in much sharper and faster wide angles than before, so 2.8/28 and 2.8/35 were much improved even in the budget range.

At these sizes this lens looks fine to me, perhaps the bokeh is a little underdeveloped.

I wonder where the wedding photographer was standing?


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good enough, which lens?


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my Gosh! The brazuca looks like a monster! Laughing (But "she" loves Neymar and Messi, and vice versa.) Very Happy

The photos are excellent, but except the #5 you cannot easily see that they were taken with a wide angle lens. The bokeh of the photos # 3 and # 4 are not very smooth, but are typical of wide angle lenses.

In the '70s, the optical designers have already mastered the design of retrofocus wide angle lenses. The wide angle lenses of the '70s were much better than the previous decade. In the '70s the main effort of the lens manufacturers was in the design of zoom lenses.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
I remember the 70s very well. It was a time for new invention and import of gadgets from the East; HiFi ...


OT -- I think you mean Stereo? I remember HiFi from late 1950s...


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
JohnBar wrote:
I remember the 70s very well. It was a time for new invention and import of gadgets from the East; HiFi ...


OT -- I think you mean Stereo? I remember HiFi from late 1950s...


Perhaps, but on these shores it was called HiFi and the 70s brought about its mass acceptance, along with speaker wars Wink


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely gorgeous ..... well done !


PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Calvin - it's been 24 hours and we are dying to know what lens Laughing
OH


PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Rokkor Razz


PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments again. I think it will be better to judge the performance of a lens without knowing it name.

@JohnBar
This lens is over-corrected as you notes in the #4.

I make the wedding photographer disappear. Wink

@Gerald
I should name #7 as Monster in the Altar. Wink

These photos are taken with a NEX 5N. It will be hard to see as it become a 50s in my camera.

You are right. I think optical designers are optimize the design of budget wide angle in the 70s to reduce the manufacturing cost and improve the optical performance at the same time.

@tromboads
This is not a Rokkor.

@OH
I will let all of you know the name of the lens after I get more better samples. The only information I can give are this is a lens from the early 1970's without multi-coating. It is also a less common lens which is unlikely found in certain parts of the world.


PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to my eye, is it a Komura?


PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Looks very good to my eye, is it a Komura?


I am dying to know what this lens is.
But I have never seen a Komura that sharp. (2nd thoughts - Bronica Komura???? )
I am thinking Kiron Kino maybe
OH


PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few new samples from today. I found this lens behave very differently under light condition.

Click the photo to enlarge:

@F2.8
#1

#2


@F4
#3

#4


PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Looks very good to my eye, is it a Komura?


I am dying to know what this lens is.
But I have never seen a Komura that sharp. (2nd thoughts - Bronica Komura???? )
I am thinking Kiron Kino maybe
OH


I wouldn't underestimate a Komura, but I don't think this is one. Calvin has had a Komura 28mm for quite some time. The bokeh does not look Komura-ish to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Russian lens.


PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Looks very good to my eye, is it a Komura?


I am dying to know what this lens is.
But I have never seen a Komura that sharp. (2nd thoughts - Bronica Komura???? )
I am thinking Kiron Kino maybe
OH


I wouldn't underestimate a Komura, but I don't think this is one. Calvin has had a Komura 28mm for quite some time. The bokeh does not look Komura-ish to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Russian lens.

I have Komura chrome ring 24mm and 35mm(I am going to sell the the 35mm). This is not a Komura lens nor it is from Russian. I can reveal the name of the lens if both of you would like to know it.


PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Looks very good to my eye, is it a Komura?


I am dying to know what this lens is.
But I have never seen a Komura that sharp. (2nd thoughts - Bronica Komura???? )
I am thinking Kiron Kino maybe
OH


I wouldn't underestimate a Komura, but I don't think this is one. Calvin has had a Komura 28mm for quite some time. The bokeh does not look Komura-ish to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Russian lens.

I have Komura chrome ring 24mm and 35mm(I am going to sell the the 35mm). This is not a Komura lens nor it is from Russian. I can reveal the name of the lens if both of you would like to know it.


Well I think that I would like to know it Very Happy


PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Well I think that I would like to know it Very Happy

Well. I think you may have already see the lens in this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/my-favourite-35s-t64571.html . Wink


PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Well I think that I would like to know it Very Happy

Well. I think you may have already see the lens in this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/my-favourite-35s-t64571.html . Wink


The Schneider ........
OH


PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Well I think that I would like to know it Very Happy

Well. I think you may have already see the lens in this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/my-favourite-35s-t64571.html . Wink


The Schneider ........
OH

Yes. It is the budget lens on Rollei SL35 system. The PC-Curtagon and the Distagon( 1.4 or 2.8 ) are more expensive than this lens.


PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is two samples on the A7(click to see the full res. photo). Some of you may have know the lens is Schneider SL-Angulon 35mm F2.8 which is an excellent performer on a crop camera. On A7, it suffers from noticeable field curve but it is still good enough for me.

#1

#2